Paddle retrofit

Arrkon

Back in a "B"
Staff member
Regional Rep
Reaction score
So after finally sourcing all the bits to get my cruise working, I wanted to add paddles. My car came with nothing on the wheel, just a standard 3 spoke sports wheel. I purchased and fitted a modified 8p wheel (identical to mine but with paddles, basically a b6 s4 wheel) but it's not working, despite it being coded and modified wiring, So my questions are thus;

- are the tip paddle commands hardwire to the box or sent across the can bus

- anyone point me towards a decent wiring diagram (I can't find ANYTHING in elsaWIN) and the attached image layout doesn't seem to work...

- anyone done similar?

Uploadfromtaptalk1450311737057

Never mind. It's working now. It was my naff reuse of a butchered harness in the wheel that caused it. Now I've completely rewired it, it's working. So I'll leave this image up for others if it's of use

What car do you have (year, engine, gb)

I was looking into this and have a brand new s4 wheel with paddles but not the airbag, only reason i've not attempted it is the airbag. I've been told I could have issues between the single/duel stage wiring?

AR-rkon,
Would you detail what I need to do to fit?
I have an older style (B6, not B7) 3 spoke s/w with paddle shift (my present one has no multi-functions).
I have a 3.0L Quattro with tiptronic, cruise control etc.
I would like to know how to wire the s/w to the gearbox. Are the cables in the loom already? Do I need a new steering column module? Do I need to recode?
Many thanks.

your car sounds like mine so i'm interested in how you get on, I still have not fitted mine and i'm actually thinking of doing a non audi project instead and have started listing up my b6 bits on ebay

AR-rkon,
Would you detail what I need to do to fit?
I have an older style (B6, not B7) 3 spoke s/w with paddle shift (my present one has no multi-functions).
I have a 3.0L Quattro with tiptronic, cruise control etc.
I would like to know how to wire the s/w to the gearbox. Are the cables in the loom already? Do I need a new steering column module? Do I need to recode?
Many thanks.

Car is a 2003 A4 B6, 2.5tdi, quattro Tip.

@a4cabrio , As I had already purchased the steering column module for the cruise (so yours should support it already), I just needed a 12pin clock spring (there was 6 and 12 way ones, you can unplug the airbag to check how many pins you have). Also, If it has paddles on the back rather than +/- buttons on the face, you've probably got the S4 tip wheel, as far as I know, the non S4 b6's only got the plus and minus buttons.

My wheel actually came from an A3 8P, so I had to rewire the harness in the wheel to remove the control module the A3 uses.

as for coding, yes, you have to recode the transmission, as well as the steering column module, to activate the paddles.

your car sounds like mine so i'm interested in how you get on, I still have not fitted mine and i'm actually thinking of doing a non audi project instead and have started listing up my b6 bits on ebay
@Visa_broke Have you got a link for you'r ebay stuff, if you're selling stuff off, I wouldn't mind a browse :)

Just checked in the classifieds section, the post I put up with the links/sale is not showing anymore, not sure whats happened to that?