1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Server Issues [Search] 21-22/07/18

We are currently rebuilding the site's search index due to an earlier database problem, so search results will be incomplete for a time. The process happens quite quickly, and we'll be keeping an eye on it. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience in the meantime.

Thanks for your patience.

ASN Admin
    Dismiss Notice

Paddle Extensions?

Liam Miller Jan 15, 2017

1. phobos512

phobos512 Active Member TFSI Owners Group Team Vegas Yellow Audi S3 saloon DSG

Installed. Piece of cake.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mark_86 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Mark_86

Mark_86 Well-Known Member Team Daytona Audi S3 Black Edition quattro DSG

Look awesome. So, how easy was it? Good job mate!

phobos512 likes this.
  4. SeoTFSI

SeoTFSI Well-Known Member Team Vegas Yellow Audi S3

WoW!! Wonderful! :hubbahubba:
    I can't wait anymore for mine!!!

5. Daz4311

Daz4311 Well-Known Member

Need a set of these now.

6. Nath.S4

Nath.S4 Active Member

These look great. Couple questions...

Do you think they will fit the s4 paddles ?

And the little grub screws do they screw in and mark the original paddles ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. SteveMcB

SteveMcB Well-Known Member Team Sepang Audi Cabriolet Owner Group SQ5 owners group

Nice, fancy these on the SQ5

paul wev likes this.
  8. phobos512

First, no idea if they would fit other vehicles than the S3 (as demonstrated here) and the latest A4 (as listed in the eBay ad). Sorry.

So for the install here's how I did it:

For each set screw I placed the set screw on the included hex (Allen) wrench. Then, I applied a drop of Loctite 242 (medium strength removable threadlocker) and let it penetrate, then wiped off the excess. For the inside screws (those toward the hub/airbag) I applied these on my workbench, screwing them in till flush. Then I popped the paddle on the paddle and applied the remaining screws. Due to the shape of the wheel and the length of the included wrench I could only get a half turn so I would turn the wrench 180 degrees, remove it, reset and continue. The top screws were easier than the bottom screws due to the shape of the wheel. On doing the passenger side I couldn't as readily get the paddle extension to "pop" into place so I loosened the top inside set screw slightly since it is accessible from the top of the wheel. At the end of tightening each screw I wiped off any excess Loctite with a shop towel I had just for this purpose, and I wore latex gloves so as not to get Loctite on my fingers and accidentally spread it to the interior of the car.

I could see marring the paddles if you're not careful - they press against the corners of the paddle so since they're just black plastic marring would look like a very small indentation. I don't expect it would be too visible if it did happen. However by design the screws are going to compress the paddle extension against the paddle so depending on how soft the plastic is it may or may not mar.

They provided in my kit two extra set screws, which is handy as they're so small and I have large hands. I didn't end up needing them though. In all with my meticulous prep it took about fifteen minutes to install. I could probably do it again in five.

azibux1 and paul wev like this.
  9. SeoTFSI

Here mine.

I hoped in a better grip but i feel anyway better than the standard micro-paddles

[​IMG]

RickyB, MattSedg and samo26 like this.
  10. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding Site Sponsor Team Ibis VAG Can Professional VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

Finally received and fitted mine. Very easy :)

IMG_6334-squashed.JPG

BodegaBay and S15THM like this.
  11. S15THM

S15THM Daytona S3 Saloon Team Daytona saloon S tronic S3 Saloon DSG

I like them, but they're slightly too big for me. There's really not a broad choice of variety for a car of it's kind sadly.

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. seanbeckerleg

seanbeckerleg Active Member

Can anybody tell me if the the FL paddles are the same as the PFL? I've seen a few I like but they don't say wether they'd fit a 2017 s3.... just 8v platform.

14. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding Site Sponsor Team Ibis VAG Can Professional VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

Thats what this thread is about. In short PFL paddles are different to the FL ones, which are now the same shape as the TTmk3 and new A4. The ones I pictured above were advertised as being for the A4.

BodegaBay likes this.
  15. SeoTFSI

No, they aren't the same.

16. seanbeckerleg

seanbeckerleg Active Member

Ok mate, cheers!
    So are these the only one available at the moment? Where can I get a set?

17. paul wev

paul wev Member

I haven't seen any for my 2013 SQ5? They are slightly bigger with a silver edge around the paddles. Could anyone help please?

SQ5

18. DJAlix

19. JunkStory

JunkStory Member

my sincere advice is do not screw around with those little tapping screws. They will inevitably damage the original paddles by digging holes in them. I really regret doing that to mine, and now I just use some good double sided tape and cut them into shape. But the damage is already done.

Nath.S4 likes this.
  20. Netster

Netster New Member

Looks like they dont follow contours of the steering wheel unfortunately, how are you liking them?

21. phobos512

They are perfectly flat from the side so no they don't follow the profile of the wheel; however from the front I'd say they follow the curve of the wheel just fine (and since that's what you see that's what matters). Still like em just fine, no regrets.

22. Netster

Netster New Member

Thanks, was wondering if it effects the reach. Debating on these my self.

23. S15THM

S15THM Daytona S3 Saloon Team Daytona saloon S tronic S3 Saloon DSG

I want something simple like the RS ones :(

Mac135 likes this.
  24. Ryman

Ryman Member Team Panther Audi S3 S tronic

I agree, assume there’s nothing on the market since this thread?

25. Bells

Bells Well-Known Member Team Ara Blue Audi S3 Black Edition S tronic It's my birthday

Do the facelift RS3 (standard) metal tipped paddles not plug and play?

26. Ryman

Ryman Member Team Panther Audi S3 S tronic

I don’t know, I would imagine they would require the wheel to be taken apart?

27. Bells

Bells Well-Known Member Team Ara Blue Audi S3 Black Edition S tronic It's my birthday

Not sure to be honest, I don’t know how the current ones are attached, whether it is by clips or not etc

28. Netster

Netster New Member

Yup. Airbag comes out, then the bezel, followed by finger tip control units. Once all that's out you'll have access to the paddle shifter screw.
    Here's the frustrating part, bezel has male pins that insert into rubber foam. Maybe this is unique to my experience but, since being dissembled, this bezel refuses to sit flush against the steering wheel like it did before.

Last year I tried three sets of paddles during my search- Ebay ones pictured above, OEM RS, and RelakMoto.
    OEM RS's were an improvement over stock but still a tad small. Plus wish i hadnt disassembled the wheel.
    Ebay extensions design is flawed. As they extend out they move further away from your reach due to their non curved design. This can also be observed by looking at their side profile. This completely defeats their purpose as i had to extend my fingers and re-position my hand to shift with them.
    RelakMoto's are the ones i stuck with. They are curved, thereby allowing extensions to follow a consistent spacing with the wheel. Also the rubber coating is a nice touch, they feel silky smooth and give off an oem look.

If anyone's interested in the OEM RS shifters i still have my set laying around. Will be posting them in classifieds soon.

29. KyleS3

KyleS3 Member

30. larbel

larbel Well-Known Member Team Sepang Audi S3 saloon

I’m using RS paddles and the bezel is somewhat flexible and there’re catches all around, you’ll need to make sure the catches are in place and the inserts are in the slots. It will sit flush, I took it apart (FL n PFL) multiple times without issues.