P3102 and fix info

Tasaud

Reaction score
Good afternoon
I'm a new member and just wanted to share what I found today as this may help others on my first welcome post.
I had the code P3102 come up after diagnosing due to the engine light coming on and after looking on the internet thought I would start at looking to see if the gears had broken inside the throttle body.
Well i took it off inc the egr valve, the egr by the way was clean as a whistle. I took the plastic housing off the throttle body and outpoured about 200ml of black/brown oil, all the gears were perfect but I took the gears and motor out and cleaned everything with electrical contact cleaner and dried and reassembled with I light silicone grease on the gears. The motor had been sitting in a pond of dirty oil .Put everything back in the car and went for a drive , turned off engine and restarted and the engine light went off and has stayed off after another drive. So with just a little investigation saved a fair chunk of money. Haven't a clue where the oil came from?
The car is a 2007 A4 2.0 tdi avant which we have owned for over 12 years bought with just under 20,000 miles and has now done 170,000, we are the second owners. Apart from serviceable parts the only other thing that has gone wrong was a switch by the brake pedal that threw a few lights on the dash.
Now for hopefully some help back . I have recently noticed a slight diesel smell from the engine bay and when I done the throttle body there were signs of wet diesel on the back of the engine making the top of the gearbox wet, any guesses where it's coming from as can't see any hoses leaking, is it a common issue on high milers?
Thankyou

Reactions: Wozski
Did you manage to find out where your diesel leak was coming from? Mines just started to do the same

Did you manage to find out where your diesel leak was coming from? Mines just started to do the same
Apparently it can be an accumulation over time if the engine is slightly over filled with oil. That’s what I was told anyway.

Oops sorry just realised replied to wrong part of thread.
Yes I did! It was leaking from the gasket where the tandem pump meets the back of the top of the engine. It was the tiniest of weeps. I very carefully cleaned the back of the engine and top of the gear casing the best I could with GUNK being careful not to get any electrical fittings wet to get rid of the smell and try and identify the whereabouts of the leak. It showed it was weeping from the bottom. I just nipped up the Allen head bolts that secure it to the block, they all turned a small amount and it seems to have worked. One of the Allen bolts is quite tricky to get to so I just shortened a key to enable access.I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look at this tomorrow. Sounds just like the same problem I'm having though.

Other than that I believe injector seals can leak so also worth a look.
You weren't wrong when you said it's a tight squeeze. What tool did you use to tighten your bolts as I can't get a ratchet with adapter down the back to fit

You weren't wrong when you said it's a tight squeeze. What tool did you use to tighten your bolts as I can't get a ratchet with adapter down the back to fit
I used a standard long length Allen key, it was just long enough to get enough leverage to nip them up on most and the one that was really awkward had to cut down the shorter part of the key to gain access. I also found I couldn’t gain access with a ratchet. I hope you understand what I mean, let me know how you get on I can always dig them out and post a picture

Reactions: Andy Burgess