P0299 fault code

Scottson76

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this so any help would be gratefull
i have a 2009 a3 2.0 tdi s line 170 that has a p0299 fault code after doing some reading many people have written that it will be an actuator fault but I don't know what type of engine it is as in cr to get a replacement actuator or if anyone has any other suggestions on what it could be
thanks

P0299 seems to relate to a turbocharger underboost condition, if you find the engine code (should be on a sticker or plate near the top of the engine) someone should be able to help you out.

Engine number is Cbb 106645
P0299 seems to relate to a turbocharger underboost condition, if you find the engine code (should be on a sticker or plate near the top of the engine) someone should be able to help you out.

That's the Common Rail (CR) 170 engine, code CBBB.

Could well be an actuator fault, if it's not offering full boost. Although there are other possibilities such as a boost leak.

Is the turbo actuator vac controlled or electronically? (can't check on my phone at the minute)

Found it. Part number 03L253056C It's electronically controlled. Which should rule out a vac problem but means it could be electrical issue.

Could do with logging actual vs requested boost during a run to see what it's doing.

Cheers smithy I've got no umpff till 2500 then off as normal till 60 then into limp mode I have noticed I doesn't sound the same since this started just slightly noisier with a slight wine

Some questions might help narrow down the cause: is the car down on power?, is the turbo making any unusual noises?, can you hear any air/vacuum leaks in the engine bay?, is the check engine light on?

Edit: sounds like it might be the vnt not actuating properly

Yeah the car feels like it's lost loads of power till 2500 revs then the turbo gets going but nothing when I floor it whilst driving it's like driving and 80s turbo with massive turbo lag , the coil light comes on when I hit 60 in 5 th and goes into limp mode , I haven't noticed and air noises coming from the engine but there is a a whining noise at low revs not very loud plus it doesn't sound as sweet as it did for a diesel

Do you have access to vcds or a Bluetooth scan tool? My best guess at this point would be a large boost leak, or something wrong with the vnt actuation.

Do you have access to vcds or a Bluetooth scan tool? My best guess at this point would be a large boost leak, or something wrong with the vnt actuation.
Yeah I've got a diagnostic machine just comes up with the code and turbo under boost ,looks like I'm going to have to take it in just hoping it would be something I could do my self but sounds a bit beyond my capabilities thanks for the help

Where are you scottson? Somebody on here should be able to log it for you for a beer or two!

Thanks for that smithy I will message someone and see if they can help I forgot to say before I also have a 00665 seatbelt warning light come up on my diagnostic machine would that cause the fault to make it go into limp mode thanks again scott

00665 isn't a seatbelt code, it's the same as P0299. There are various types of OBD2 fault codes, some are manufacturer specific, some are generic.

If you do have a seatbelt code at the same time, I would treat it as a completely different issue and tackle one at a time. I'd start with the turbo problem P0299/00665, as it is likely to be more expensive/time consuming. The seatbelt code can wait, as long as the belts are fastening and stopping with a harsh tug.

Have a look here 16683/P0299/000665 - Ross-Tech Wiki for more info.

How did you get on with finding somebody local to you with VCDS?

00665 isn't a seatbelt code, it's the same as P0299. There are various types of OBD2 fault codes, some are manufacturer specific, some are generic.

If you do have a seatbelt code at the same time, I would treat it as a completely different issue and tackle one at a time. I'd start with the turbo problem P0299/00665, as it is likely to be more expensive/time consuming. The seatbelt code can wait, as long as the belts are fastening and stopping with a harsh tug.

Have a look here 16683/P0299/000665 - Ross-Tech Wiki for more info.

How did you get on with finding somebody local to you with VCDS?
I've found someone not to far away waiting to hear back thanks again for the help I'll let you know how it goes