P0234 turbocharger over boost condition fault

Beni786

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a 57 plate 2.0TDI and this morning on motorway journey it went into limp mode, turned engine off and back on again and the engine management light came on. I've had limp mode every time car goes up a slight hill. Had a friend plug his machine in and it gave the above fault code. I've been told it will cost me about £300 to take the turbo out and send it for a recon, and this is most likely the problem. Anyone know of/had this issue and any suggestions please? Thanks

Pretty sure that's the code for the turbo over boosting. There can be a few causes but I would hazard a guess and start with the VNT mechanism in the turbo needing cleaned. Basically inside your turbo there are vanes that turn slightly under the control of an actuator to control the boost, these get choked up with carbon.
It's quite a simple job to attempt yourself to clean it, Mr Muscle oven foam cleaner is cheap, very effective and recommended by thousands including myself.
Google or use the search function for turbo cleaning with Mr Muscle, there's loads of info on it. I certainly wouldn't be spending £300 before having a go myself!!

I think if you remove air intake manifold you should have access to move turbo actuator rod up and down a few times to see if it has free movement.