1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

P Zero Bulge

Bells May 19, 2020

1. Bells

Bells Well-Known Member Team Ara Blue Team Daytona Team V6 Audi S3 Audi S5

So went out to my car this morning and noticed this big bulge on the edge of my front tyre, hadn’t noticed it before I’m sure it’ll be because of a pothole because they’ve been on for 5k miles with no issues. I’m 99% sure it’ll need to be replaced as I don’t reckon it’s safe.

So with that in mind I’m currently looking at some part worn tyres as I’ve still got 6.2-6.5mm on the other 3 and I don’t want to mess about having different tread depths with the haldex etc. I’ve read a bit on here previously about P Zeros having a few different variants such as AO AO1 etc so when looking online I’m trying to get the same as my other 3 to satisfy my ocd, from the photos am I right in thinking I’ve got AO1’s fitted currently?

Also any recommendations of where to source part worn tyres would be appreciated :icon thumright:

68DC0EFD-84D3-4F24-A386-2AAF85C6C998.jpeg
    C6655B54-0052-4771-AEBA-1C3E24E1D49B.jpeg

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. jrumball

jrumball Well-Known Member Sportback Audi A3 etron Cosmos Blue

Audi will price match black circles ! They will supply and fit the OEM Audi spec that is correct for your car too at the price of the non Audi =)

4. Flying Scotsman

Flying Scotsman Well-Known Member Team Ara Blue Audi S3 saloon

That alloy wheel also took a hell of a thump. I would also get that checked out and replace that tyre asap even with the pathetic skinny spare.... no motorway driving or similar speeds on that tyre.

5. eribaMotters

eribaMotters Active Member

If you'd hit a pothole hard enough to cause that damage you would remember it and something should also show on the wheel.
    I would change it asap as mentioned above and if no damage was present to the wheel keep the old tyre and get in contact with Pirelli. Some years ago the manufacturers of Mataador tyres had similar bulges appearing in a batch of tyres supplied to a leading caravan manufacturer and over the following 2 or 3 years had to replace them free of charge.

Colin

6. JohnM100

JohnM100 Well-Known Member Gold Supporter VCDS Map User Team Navarra Audi S3 Black Edition

Ouch!. Agree with others to get it changed asap and no high speed driving.

The "A0" designation is printed on the tyre in a striped box on its own - pic attached from my 225/40/18 P zero

IMG_4128b.jpg

7. The_Ironist

The_Ironist Active Member Team Daytona S3 Saloon Audi S3

Yeah definitely get swapped, could blow at any time.

What size tire do you have as I have a 235/35 R19 P Zero AO with 5mm on for sale?

Came off my S3 as the opposite one had a bulge and I just did all 4 tyres as my rears needed changing anyway.

Definitely noticed the pothole that made my smaller bulge, would have thought you’d definitely notice whatever caused that. It does look like a pothole as it’s pressed the tyre into the alloy and left rubber on it like mine did.

3DF12672-116E-41BA-B0CF-2DDB6DD476A2.jpeg

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  8. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc Active Member

Just checking that you have noticed that the wheel looks badly damaged at the same point?

9. The_Ironist

The_Ironist Active Member Team Daytona S3 Saloon Audi S3

It may just be rubber where the tyre has been squished into it but worth confirming.

10. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc Active Member

Ah, yes - you're probably right! Lucky escape if so, must have been a hell of a pothole!

11. Bells

Thanks for all the replies I’ve looked at the alloy and seems it’s all fine, there is a mark where the rubber seems to have rubbed against the alloy but other than that I’m hoping it’s ok but will obviously get the garage to check it out properly when the tyre gets replaced.

That’s strange I have the code AO11833 printed on the tyre but nothing with a striped box on its own like yours?

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. rafletcher

rafletcher Member Sportback Team Nano Grey Audi S3 S tronic

I kerbed a tyre, but not the wheel, and got a bulge like that. Only noticed the bulge when filling up a couple of weeks, and 300 motorway speed miles later!

14. jassyo06

jassyo06 T-Cut King ! S3 Saloon Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue

You have 225/40/18 Pzero sc ao1 fitted Screenshot_20200522-111702_Chrome.jpg

Bells likes this.
  15. S32B

S32B Well-Known Member Audi A5 S tronic Coupe

Stay away from it mate, I'd be calling the Audi assist out and get them to put the spare on, once off tell them to take all the air out of the damaged tyre. As for sourcing one, just Goole part worn tyres in your area. Take a good look at it first though, a lot of part worns have been repaired.

Bells likes this.
  16. JohnM100

JohnM100 Well-Known Member Gold Supporter VCDS Map User Team Navarra Audi S3 Black Edition

I knew Pirelli had a rep for weak sidewalls 20 years ago but thought they had fixed that. Doesn’t seem as though they have done so totally.

I know the wear thread in the RS3 forum but that’s separate.

Bells likes this.
  17. jassyo06

jassyo06 T-Cut King ! S3 Saloon Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue

Tyre preference is as subjective as the brand of car of car you prefer these days,l got only 11k miles out of the factory fitted P zeros,this time around l got 16k miles....low wear rate was due to the hot summer we had 2 years ago so l was told,getting another set of P zeros fitted next week and l wont be buying another set as l wont be the owner of it when there due to be renewed

Bells likes this.
  18. Bells

Quick update, I’ve got a part worn P Zero tyre coming on Tuesday that’s got 6.3mm of tread to match the other 3 perfectly and it only cost me £60. Must say a 19 inch tyre was hard to find that was part worn as there’s not many about, most available have had repairs done on them.

Cars not going anywhere currently but I’ve got a garage less than 2 minutes down the road so I’ll just baby the car down there one morning to get it fitted.

I’ve also retraced my last route and found the offending pothole so a claim will be going into the Council to cover my costs, so I’ll have to wait and see how that goes.

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 1:25 AM
  19. Bells

Yeah ideally I’d want to put Michelin Pilot Super Sports on but can’t justify changing all 4 tyres currently seeing as they’ve got so much tread depth. I don’t rate the P Zeros really but have to say they’ve not done bad on wear, I don’t baby the car and they’ve only used about 2mm of tread in 5k miles which I think is decent.

20. eribaMotters

eribaMotters Active Member

That pot hole you mention. If it has a spray can ring around it marked for repair then you may be in luck. There should be a date record of inspection on it at the Parks and Highways dept of the council, with it scheduled for repair. If no mark then they could reasonably say they were unaware of it.

Colin

21. JohnM100

Also worth checking FixMyStreet as it may have been reported but they haven’t got around to inspecting it or deemed it not requiring repair.