Owners Manual

Tronic

Reaction score
I ordered my first Audi back in October for a March 07 delivery and thought I would while away the hours by reading the owners manual.

Does anyone know where I can download or get one from?

cheers

Had the same thoughts myself but they're not available for download which seems really odd.

I wanted to read the RNS-E manual to gen up on the various functions but it's not officially available. Of two that I've found, one is the US version and thus subtly different and the other has nothing in it for the phone prep.

Vertigo1 said:
I wanted to read the RNS-E manual to gen up on the various functions but it's not officially available. Of two that I've found, one is the US version and thus subtly different and the other has nothing in it for the phone prep.
I downloaded the US version as well. It covers most of the functions though, and its handy being in PDF format - what with 194 pages!

buy one of ebay?

I've had a look on eBay and the only ones for sales are naturally ones for early 8P models. Most new owners quite sensilbly hold on the theirs !

Why don't Audi make these available to download - they're hardly Top Secret? And not much use to someone who hasn't spent £000's on one of their products?

I have just spoken to Audi Customer Service and they tell me that the Owner's Manual can be ordered through the dealer's part department.

I have also spoken to my local dealer and they are going to get me one. The cost is £13.00 plus VAT. Still it will be nice to be able to read up on my new Sportback before I get it in Februray/March. It will also mean I can keep one in the house and one in the car.

You want my one ?
Never so much as opened it.
If you need to consult your manual,there's something wrong with the design of the car.
Unless you're completely new to cars,everything should be second nature.
Tyre pressures maybe,but they're on the fuel flap.

Considering Audi have added quite a few new items to, for example, the DIS your manual would not be a lot of use.

It's surprising the number of silly questions that get asked on this forum that could be easily answered if the owners took the trouble to read their manual - bulb changing being a classic example. That's one of the reasons I like to have one in the house and one in the car ! As I have plenty of time it means I can help those who perhaps have a little less time or are just plain lazy.

Some people don't like to make assumptions about how things work - like assuming the DSG will not change up when it reaches maximum revs when in tip-tronic mode.

It will certainly make more interesting reading than the Sun!

Who the hell can be bothered reading a manual prior to a problem arising ?
Christ,it makes the Argos catalogue look exciting.

BTW,with ref to the DSG thing.

Are you suggesting I should have obtained and read an A3 manual prior to purchasing the car ????

Surely not...

Personally I like to know as much as I can about the car I am driving and if reading the manual helps.....

I not suggesting that you should read the manual before you buy one, although if they were redily available if might be a good idea. At least if you had read some articles etc before hand you would have known otherwise how did I know before I bought mine and even before I took a test drive.

Where possible I always have a look at a makers website before I buy anuthing to see if there is a manual available for download. That way I can be sure that the item will do what I want and behave in a way that is acceptable to me before I buy it.

But your obviously you're much cleverer that me you already know exactly the way every you buy will work and therefore do not 'buy' things that do not behave in the way you want them to behave. Meer mortals like me prefer to read the manuals - it passes the time and is a whole lot more interesting than TV.

In the same way I like to spend time looking at the ETKA parts catalogue and ELSAWIN workshop manuals. Incidentally for others who may read this post, the latest ETKA 7 is a fast improvement on ETKA 6. If anyone wants more details PM me.

Have fun reading the manual for a car you've owned 3 times before David...
Life on the edge !

I agree with Dave - the manual is a useful read, especially for things like changing tyres so you know where jacking points are and so on.

Plus it's where I learnt about the cool global window opening/closing feature! :)

Actually bowfer it four times before and my new Sportback will be no 5.

And they have all been different, 8L original, 8L pre-facelift, 8L post-facelift and my current 8P. I know they are similar and all have a wheel at each corner and a steering wheel and some pedals, but even that's different. My first 3 had 3 pedals my current only has 2.

Some of us are interested in cars in general and our own car in particular and the way they work and prefer to read about the various features and not just find out things by accident.

I don't normally spend nearly £12,000 of my own money without finding out as much as I can about what I am buying and what if any new features it has over my previous purchases.

Bowfer, perhaps with your vast knowledge you can also tell me how the following work and how they are controlled....

Daytime Running Lights...

Daytime Running Lights and how they work with Automatic Headlights....

Does 'flashing the headlights' use the Xenons or the DRLs....

How to set the Digital speed reading in the DIS and if it can be changed from MPH to KPH and if so exactly how...

Does the DIS now show oil temperature...

Have there any further new functions been added to the DIS...

Full operational details of the new Symphony III radio unit including all it's functions and how to set them...

How the electrical seat controls work - which lever or switch does what and does the ignition need to be one for them to work...

The correct proceedure for changing the Bi-Xexon headlights for driving in Europe...

How to change the daytime running light bulbs...

and of course all the other things that I don't yet know about that have changed between July 2004 when my current car was made and January/Februray 2007 when my new car will be made.

If your able to come up with the correct answers to all the above then I will be able to save the huge sum of £13.00 plus VAT of course and not have to go through the tedious exercise of reading about them in the manual. I can sit in front of the TV every evening instead.

Mind you I surpose I will still need to buy a manual and read it to check if you are telling me the correct answers or just a load of waffle !

I think we're back to square one.

How long have you still got to wait before your boss will let your new Ford or whatever you next car will be.

djr and bowfer. Where would we be without you this panto season :)

Glad your enjoying it !

The ugly sisters come on next !

All nominations in a sealed envelope to.......

You have to realise that there is only one way of doing things in this world ... Bowfers Way. Everyone should conform to this way.

Every other way is silly, stupid, a waste of money, not worth the effort or just plain wrong.

Still it's good fun pointing out that not of us follow Bowfers Way.

h5djr said:
Bowfer, perhaps with your vast knowledge you can also tell me how the following work and how they are controlled....

Daytime Running Lights...

Daytime Running Lights and how they work with Automatic Headlights....

Does 'flashing the headlights' use the Xenons or the DRLs....

How to set the Digital speed reading in the DIS and if it can be changed from MPH to KPH and if so exactly how...

Does the DIS now show oil temperature...

Have there any further new functions been added to the DIS...

Full operational details of the new Symphony III radio unit including all it's functions and how to set them...

How the electrical seat controls work - which lever or switch does what and does the ignition need to be one for them to work...

The correct proceedure for changing the Bi-Xexon headlights for driving in Europe...

How to change the daytime running light bulbs...

and of course all the other things that I don't yet know about that have changed between July 2004 when my current car was made and January/Februray 2007 when my new car will be made.

If your able to come up with the correct answers to all the above then I will be able to save the huge sum of £13.00 plus VAT of course and not have to go through the tedious exercise of reading about them in the manual. I can sit in front of the TV every evening instead.

Mind you I surpose I will still need to buy a manual and read it to check if you are telling me the correct answers or just a load of waffle !

I think we're back to square one.

How long have you still got to wait before your boss will let your new Ford or whatever you next car will be.

LOL !
You spent ages typing all that out..
Time to do that and read a manual from cover to cover ?

You need a hobby David.

With regard to all your questions,I have the answer to them all.

Don't know...don't care.
DIS is one of those things,like DSG,that (IMO) boils down to being a pointless toy for barstool bores and twiddlers.
I'd rather Audi spent more on their engine build quality,to alleviate the oil-burning lottery that is A3 ownership.

As for the other things...meh.

bowfer said:
DIS is one of those things,like DSG,that (IMO) boils down to being a pointless toy for barstool bores and twiddlers.

Still, it must be better being a barstool bore than someone who spent all that money on a gearbox they hate ...

inkiboo said:
Still, it must be better being a barstool bore than someone who spent all that money on a gearbox they hate ...

Not my money...

;-)

bowfer said:
Not my money...

;-)

Well, it is. You work for a company; they give a car allowance/company car. If you didn't work there, they wouldn't give you a car. So it is, indirectly, your money.

inkiboo said:
Well, it is. You work for a company; they give a car allowance/company car. If you didn't work there, they wouldn't give you a car. So it is, indirectly, your money.

Rubbish.
If it were 'my' money I would be able to spend it on drugs and whores.
If it were 'my' money I would be able to take it with me when/if I leave.
It's the company's money,pure and simple.

Anyway,I've moved on from hating the gearbox.

I hate the whole car now.... ;-)

You spent ages typing all that out..
Time to do that and read a manual from cover to cover ?

You need a hobby David.

With regard to all your questions,I have the answer to them all.

Don't know...don't care.

That's the difference between us bowfer...

I do care and I want to know. You say I need a hobby. I have several, one of which is my car and I like to know as much about it as possible. My other main hobby is my computer - so typing things out for others to read is all part of my hobby. Remember I am retired. I can do what I like when I like. I have all day every day to do whatever I like and I like reading about my new car, whether it's in a book, in a manual, on the internet,in brochures or where ever.

What do you do in your spare time?

It may not be 'your money' but it was your choice and now you've got to live with it until you boss says otherwise. Perhaps you will be a happier person when your boss lets you have a new toy to play with.

djr and bowfer. After a successful panto season, now angling for a summer season on Blackpool seafront:

(squeaky voice) "That's the way to do it...." ;)

Bowfer said I needed a hobby - perhaps that could be it, but I'm not sure I could persuade him to join me!

Just as an aside - am I the only owner who takes the trouble to read the Owner's Manual for the car and the Radio or Navigation unit fitted ?