Oversteer

A4Ade

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 1.8T (163) A4 Sport (2WD), on 19" rims with 235/35/19 Falcon 452s on the front and Fullruns on the rear. I have found that in wet and damp conditions I suffer from mild oversteer (i.e the rear end slides out) when going (even quite slowly) round tight bends or roundabouts. I am wondering whether this is likely to be due to something I can easily solve or not, e.g.:

Crap rear tyres? - I know the Fullruns are cheap (which is presumably why the dealer put them on before I bough the car) but they are pretty new with loads of tread. I would rather not have to replace 2 nearly-new tyres unless I can be sure this is the problem.

I really don't think I am going unreasonably fast - it's even happened to the missus and she really doesn't drive quickly at all - and I am often being kept up with by other cars which I presume aren't suffering the same problem.

Is this just a symptom of low profile tyres combined with the lower/stiffer sports suspension?

The traction control always kicks in (although I'm not sure what this does on a FWD car when it's the rear wheels loosing traction) and the car recovers pretty quickly, but it is still slightly annoying when I'm really not thrashing it at all and the back *still* slides out. Or does it sound like a more serious problem?

Thanks,
Ade

Sorry mate but the answer is **** tyres. Mind you I'm guessing a quality 19" tyres is going to be costly as my 18" Continentals are £145 a piece.

Sorry mate but the answer is **** tyres. Mind you I'm guessing a quality 19" tyres is going to be costly as my 18" Continentals are £145 a piece.

Cheers for the reply. In a way I had hoped it was the tyres - it is the simplest thing, if not the cheapest, to remedy and at least doesn't point to some more serious problem with the car.

Ade