Over tightened locking wheel nuts ?

Scotty75

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Afternoon chaps. As the title suggests , I have over tightened locking nuts. Security key just slips .

Before I get someone to weld bolts on and remove that way , I was considering other methods. Anyone had success with something like an Irwin Bolt Grip / remover . Or another method I've heard of is banging a 19mm socket onto the lock nut and using a breaker bar .

Any help appreciated

Afternoon chaps. As the title suggests , I have over tightened locking nuts. Security key just slips .

Before I get someone to weld bolts on and remove that way , I was considering other methods. Anyone had success with something like an Irwin Bolt Grip / remover . Or another method I've heard of is banging a 19mm socket onto the lock nut and using a breaker bar .

Any help appreciated
Careful spray of the old WD40 may help mate

Reactions: pburv and Scotty75
and add a bit of paper or something in the nut itself to tighten the hole... every bit will help

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Get some to push inwards onto the nut whilst you or they try to undo, it usually works unless you've badly mashed the heads or key.

I bet your local tyre place would do it in a second. Nothing they’ve not seen. Just pop in and ask.

Reactions: Scotty75, pburv and Jassyo06
I had the same problem a couple of years back and was told audi have a complete set of nut keys and will undo foc. So gave my local branch a call and surprisingly enough they did although one of them was the bolt not the key so went to a tyre place for that one

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: Scotty75 and pburv
Park close to a wall, get a big spanner behind the locking nut (tight), use the scissor jack against the wall to push the back of the spanner/locking nut tight onto the offending stuck nut and away you go.

Reactions: pburv
8iw3ou52rxk21.jpg
:whistle2:

Reactions: Jassyo06 and CHEZ
Is the locking key or head on the boat damaged, hence the slippage? I did this on my 8p a few years, abd took me a few minutes to get it off with just a hammer and chisel.

First use the hammer and chisel and create a “flat” head on both edge on the bolt that you can slot the chisel into. Then simply place the chisel in this slot and hit with the hammer anti clockwise and you will see the bolt turn and loosen up.

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06 and Scotty75
There's a lot of back street pikey suggestions popping up here lol.
Love it

Reactions: Jassyo06, Leevr, JohnM100 and 2 others
This happened to me on previous car coutesy of Skoda main dealer.
First thing goes against logic and you try and tighten the nut to break the joint.
I took it into my friendly local indy who used a ****** big hammer to shock the nuts loose, followed up by the windy tool.
It took him 10/15 minutes of agro to loosen 3 bolts that I then replaced with normal bolts.

Colin

Thanks for all the suggestions , back Street or otherwise Going with the route of least possible damage . Guy coming on Monday to weld bolts onto the offending lockers . Guaranteed removal !

Think I need to get a new torque wrench though as it seems I overtightened , seven though the wrench was set to 120 nm.

Reactions: pburv
For future reference.
Always put the locking bolt in last, remove first.
Last in, first out is the rule
I set mine to 100nm after doing the normal bolts upto 120nm

Reactions: Jassyo06, pburv and Scotty75
I used this from ebay and workes fine .

Attachments

• 20200206_173136-1440x1920.jpg
    20200206_173136-1440x1920.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 20200206_173129-1440x1920.jpg
    20200206_173129-1440x1920.jpg
    492.9 KB · Views: 97
I've had this before on an old car, I used ratchet strap around the wheel onto the breaker bar/locking nut to hold it into the wheel tight and came off no problem.

Lots of wheel nut/bolt removal tools out there, they wind on anti-clockwise and grip the nut or bolt head just search your favorite site and you'll find them. You can get a complete kit with loads of sizes for around £10 for home use