Facelift Oval Exhaust refurb

8YARWY

Electric Avenue
Reaction score
Decided it was time to sort these out.

IMG 8788

IMG 8789

Good as new now using Foliatec black gloss.
IMG 8799

IMG 8798

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Simon Zoloiev, RS3 S., frank71RS3 and 13 others
That looks very nice.
Mine are very pitted, not sure if there is anyway to get them back gleaming chrome on my PFL so might go down this route.
Was it as simply as cleaning them up, masking around the area, then spraying?

Reactions: 8YARWY
That looks very nice.
Mine are very pitted, not sure if there is anyway to get them back gleaming chrome on my PFL so might go down this route.
Was it as simply as cleaning them up, masking around the area, then spraying?

Yes mask up all the rear of the car and behind the oval trims.

Cleaned them during a wash to get all the contaminates off, then rubbed them down all over with 1500 wet & dry paper.

Sprayed them with a de-greaser/cleaner, then 6 coats sprayed on at 5 minute intervals, left the car in the garage for 3 days and they dried a treat with a very glossy smooth finish.

c16aeb388c0dc8641a50295cb3c6e9ce.jpg

Reactions: JWAM, Snake Pliskin, Dan_DJT and 2 others
Will add that to my ‘to do’ list during lockdown!

Great job there!

Reactions: Bonstio and 8YARWY
Great post @T-1000

Got the hammerite out for my rusty rear brake hubs this week. Will possibly do this at some point although I really am utterly useless with DIY jobs such as these.

Nice one T, they will probably last longer than the Audi paint:tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Enbarr and 8YARWY
Nice one, will get some of this as mine are starting to annoy me now.

Mine are well protected beneath a thick layer of carbon based paint protectant that self-heals.

Reactions: Count Drunkula
Something I need to try. I have low KM on my 2018 and my exhaust and intercooler are both flaking like crazy.

Looks great!

Little update.....tips are still as good as when I did them in April.
Really impressed with the Foliatec

Reactions: Riko0073, Snake Pliskin and FBF01
I'd suggest sanding down the chips before doing this, perhaps even a little glazing putty, as a little elbow grease would really pay off with a smoother finish.

I'd suggest sanding down the chips before doing this, perhaps even a little glazing putty, as a little elbow grease would really pay off with a smoother finish.

Yep exactly what I did.

Ensures a better key for the paint.

Reactions: 123Quattro
FWIW, I coated mine with CarPro DLUX when it was new, and it is holding up brilliantly. You can apply it thick and not buff it off, and it leaves a very thick layer of silicone that lasts ages and any soot washes right off with a quick rinse.

Reactions: Riko0073 and 8YARWY
Little update.....tips are still as good as when I did them in April.
Really impressed with the Foliatec

How glossy is the finish? Does it match up ok with the diffuser? Looking to purchase from retecshop.com and the helpful chap said it does give a slightly more satin finish than full Audi gloss black.

thoughts?

How glossy is the finish? Does it match up ok with the diffuser? Looking to purchase from retecshop.com and the helpful chap said it does give a slightly more satin finish than full Audi gloss black.

thoughts?

Matches better than the Matt audi oem finish.
Still perfect after 10 months.

Reactions: DW81 and 1664Hatter