Outside Temperature Display

ub7rm

Reaction score
I've noticed something strange recently, seems to happen on relatively warm days, basically when I start the car the outside temperature is reading very low, like -5 or zero then it will gradually climb up to the real temperature over a couple of minutes driving.

Anyone else noticed this?

Same on mine

Attachments

• IMG_1889.JPG
    IMG_1889.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 259
Mines been like this since day one. I booked it in for a few issues, they said they was aware of this issue but didn't know a fix for it.

Doesn't happen on mine. At least if it corrects itself maybe it's ok? Does it affect your AC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it must inhibit the compressor from starting until the temperature is above 5 deg C or whatever the limit is. But it starts to climb quickly enough that I don't notice. Its not really a nuisance, just strange.

I can't imagine that it'll affect the AC to be honest. Unless it limits it dependant on the various blowing positions as well because the demister specifically uses it and it tends to be needed at lower temperatures so would be silly if the compressor didn't run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all previous cars Ive had the compressor has disengaged below 5 deg C to avoid the condensor freezing up and i presume they use the outside temp sensor to detect this

Yes but the cc also uses a interior sensor, which I am sure will be well over 5c today...

Reactions: Daggerit
Yes I understand, I'm not suggesting the CC uses the external temperature to regulate the interior temp. What I'm saying is that AC systems generally switch themselves off in low temperature to protect some of the components from damage due to freezing. There may be more than one sensor, but if it uses the same value thats displayed in the speedo cluster then it may be fooled into being 'off' even though there is demand from the interior sensor due to thinking its below 5 deg C and thus goes into self protection mode.

Edit: Had a look in the manual, the cooling system does switch off below zero deg C. Where I've written 5 deg C please read 0.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daggerit
What you describe is the normal function for an A/C, but for Audi and climate it might be different. The bottom dollar is you need to take your car in to have this checked

Mines been like this since day one. I booked it in for a few issues, they said they was aware of this issue but didn't know a fix for it.
I've noticed something strange recently, seems to happen on relatively warm days, basically when I start the car the outside temperature is reading very low, like -5 or zero then it will gradually climb up to the real temperature over a couple of minutes driving.

Anyone else noticed this?
I had this, it was booked in for this and the infotainment screen would sometimes go blank. Screen was fixed due to an ill fitting wire under the seat !!!!! and the temp was cured with an update, or so the dealer told me. I would suggest going back to the dealer and ask them to check for an update on the temp control module.

Reactions: ub7rm
What you describe is the normal function for an A/C, but for Audi and climate it might be different. The bottom dollar is you need to take your car in to have this checked

What is normal? Have you read and understood what I wrote?

Can I respectfully suggest you take you car into the dealership and get your car fixed instead of becoming embroiled into a meaningless argument. My point was Audi tend to over engineer their cars thus they might be different from the norm. ...

Yes of course I will. I'm just not sure I understand what you think I said was normal? Its nothing to do with Audi over engineering things, they can't escape thermodynamic realities.

Its also stated in the manual that the cooling system switches off below zero.