Outer cv joint... what're these bits?

LawrenceH

Reaction score
New (From jr) outer cv joint has these bits with it:

3f69dc66c68ba9933eb8dbe27dc3e1b8.jpg

But on disassembling the old one (original Audi) I can't see anything similar. Anyone got any idea whether they're needed and if so where? Thanks!

I think they're for other models, found a couple of other references to them for b5, I guess the joint is the same but the shaft different...

The bit on the left goes on the driveshaft before the cv joint goes back on, the bit on the right goes over the hub when it's all back together, on certain models.

The bit on the left goes on the driveshaft before the cv joint goes back on, the bit on the right goes over the hub when it's all back together, on certain models.

I did try putting them on like that but there was nowhere near enough room, plus the fact there weren't any beforehand I ended up leaving them off. I think as you say they're for different engine/box combos (mine is a 2.0 tfsi multitronic)

Do you have aftermarket wheels? If so I'd highly suggest putting the right one back on as the wheel won't be aligned properly without a spigot ring... well I mean it won't be that bad but could definitely make the wheel wobble and eventually fall off, if it won't go fair enough but it seems strange, if your anywhere near me (Birmingham) I don't mind lending a hand as it's only a two second wheel off ring in the middle job.

It's not big enough to be a spigot ring, fairly sure it's just a spacer that's not needed. Found photos online from someone doing the same job on his b5 and they were used on that so I think it's down to driveshaft differences between models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk