Out with the old (TDI), in with the new (Golf R)...

a3_phil

Reaction score
In the next few days my Daytona Grey A3 TDI (184) will be going back to the leasing company, so I'll be saying goodbye for now! Didn't get a whole heap of pictures, but it did scrub up good on occasion:

2016-07-18%2017.54.37_zpsjys5gydy.jpg

It's been a fantastic car, and easily the best car I've run but thanks to a greatly reduced commute I'm leaving the derv behind and have taken delivery of a shiny new red Golf R:

DSC01809a_zps6zcayevu.jpg

I've gone for a decent spec (including the large screen nav, DCC suspension and Dynaudio) so it compares well to the Audi and isn't really missing any features that I've noticed.

First impressions are that it's ridiculously quick. A quick bit of smartphone vboxing showed a 4.3s dash to 60mph and 10.2s to 100mph (private road obviously). Phone accuracy and a non-flat road probably helped those figures somewhat!

Inside it's a really nice place to be. I actually much prefer the look of the dash with the nav in the screen but I have to concede that it's a lot less practical than the pop-up screen in the A3 as it's quite a distraction having to look down and away to see the map.

I've put 600 miles on the Golf so far and overall I'm really happy with the swap. It's a two year PCP deal though so I may well be back in a couple of years time...

Reactions: Raiden, Bristle Hound, azibux1 and 12 others
Enjoy the new car Phil. Beautiful car. My son just changed to the same car 3 weeks ago in white. It's a rapid car and he loves it. :) X

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68, Simon L and 1 other person
Definitely will do!

With the Audi, I don't think I ever went for a drive that I didn't need to do but with the Golf I think I've taken it out for a drive nearly every night since I got it!

Reactions: Rob2k68, Simon L, Sandra and 1 other person
Don't think I've seen a Gold R in red, looks really smart........and I love those rims. Enjoy :)

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
I'm not touting for business but you should go say hello to the guys at www.vwroc.com

sent from my awesome Samsung S7

Reactions: ammo-mcr, pburv, FBF01 and 1 other person
Enjoy the new motor Phil looks sweet in red makes a change from black and the lapiz blue. Also loving the 19s think they're called Pretoria style ??

Reactions: Flying Scotsman, pburv, batch and 1 other person
Enjoy the new motor Phil looks sweet in red makes a change from black and the lapiz blue. Also loving the 19s think they're called Pretoria style ??
Thanks!

I've always had blue or grey cars so I forced myself to make a change. It would have been easy to go for the Lapiz as it really is a great colour but now that I've got it, I'm totally sold on the red. Even when it's filthy it still looks decent!

Yep, they're the 19" Pretoria wheel (really not a fan of the standard 18" Cadiz).

Reactions: pburv, Simon L and Rob2k68
LoL mega upgrade !!! :redrs4::redrs4:

I went from a 184 Leon FR to my S3 so pretty much the same performance jump.

Have fun !!!!!

Reactions: pburv
Looks real nice. Great colour and wheels! I went from a Leon FR 184 to my RS4

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

In the next few days my Daytona Grey A3 TDI (184) will be going back to the leasing company, so I'll be saying goodbye for now! Didn't get a whole heap of pictures, but it did scrub up good on occasion:

It's been a fantastic car, and easily the best car I've run but thanks to a greatly reduced commute I'm leaving the derv behind and have taken delivery of a shiny new red Golf R:

I've gone for a decent spec (including the large screen nav, DCC suspension and Dynaudio) so it compares well to the Audi and isn't really missing any features that I've noticed.

First impressions are that it's ridiculously quick. A quick bit of smartphone vboxing showed a 4.3s dash to 60mph and 10.2s to 100mph (private road obviously). Phone accuracy and a non-flat road probably helped those figures somewhat!

Inside it's a really nice place to be. I actually much prefer the look of the dash with the nav in the screen but I have to concede that it's a lot less practical than the pop-up screen in the A3 as it's quite a distraction having to look down and away to see the map.

I've put 600 miles on the Golf so far and overall I'm really happy with the swap. It's a two year PCP deal though so I may well be back in a couple of years time...
Love the new car Phil! My mate's just chopped his Tornado Red R in for a GLA45 but like yours, it looked stunning. I constantly think whether I could make the sacrifice of the Audi badge and interior for a Golf R, such a good package for the money.

Love the new car Phil! My mate's just chopped his Tornado Red R in for a GLA45 but like yours, it looked stunning. I constantly think whether I could make the sacrifice of the Audi badge and interior for a Golf R, such a good package for the money.

I don't have any problem with the VW interior and think it compares really well. Slightly annoying use of piano black that attracts a lot of dust though...

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and batch
I don't have any problem with the VW interior and think it compares really well. Slightly annoying use of piano black that attracts a lot of dust though...
Certainly not slagging off the Golf interior but love the Audi one!
On a side note, do you or anyone know of a fairly accurate speed/timing app for iPhone? I'm not going to fork out on a V-Box as it's just for rough guides.

Certainly not slagging off the Golf interior but love the Audi one!
On a side note, do you or anyone know of a fairly accurate speed/timing app for iPhone? I'm not going to fork out on a V-Box as it's just for rough guides.

No idea how accurate it actually is but I've used Racedroid Pro. I'd imagine the accuracy is highly dependent on your actual phone and how it's mounted. The Golf has a sliding cover on the drinks holders and my Nexus 6P fits exactly with no space whatsoever which was nice!

No idea how accurate it actually is but I've used Racedroid Pro. I'd imagine the accuracy is highly dependent on your actual phone and how it's mounted. The Golf has a sliding cover on the drinks holders and my Nexus 6P fits exactly with no space whatsoever which was nice!
Tried it, it's not available on iOS

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
A step in the right direction.....Well almost..lol
Great looking car enjoy it mate...:friends:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Simon L
Nice! I've gone similar for my next car. Though not as smoothly as yours - I ordered a 5dr Golf R in white but kept standard rims as for some reason the Pretoria's didn't do it for me. Also threw on a few extras. Rear camera (for the missus of course...) and Dynaudio (big regret in my old A3 was not spec'ing a sound system) + a few other minor ones.

Apparently delivery is due November, though I ordered in June. Good 5 month stint waiting for it, but should be worth it!

Reactions: Rob2k68, pburv and batch
A smart looking ride. I also like the new wheels. The 19" standard Cadiz in Canada and with no other option were one of the reasons I did not go with an R over the S3. The pop up screen as you also mention on the S3 is definitely easier to view and pops out of view when you do not need it was one of other reasons I chose an S3. This feature also nixed some other cars that I test drove.
Enjoy your new car, as I know it is a fun car to drive and will leave a smile in your face.

Reactions: Rob2k68, Dave-o, pburv and 1 other person
Nice car.

0-60 in 4.3s. What are the official figures? Anything under 5s is very quick.

4.9-5.1 secs is the official 0-62

Reactions: pburv
4.9-5.1 secs is the official 0-62

Still very quick but 4.3s to 60 does not seem feasible. I would expect about 0.1 - 0.2s less to 60 rather than 100km/h.

Have any magazines tested it? Often they do not match manufacturer times.

Still very quick but 4.3s to 60 does not seem feasible. I would expect about 0.1 - 0.2s less to 60 rather than 100km/h.

Have any magazines tested it? Often they do not match manufacturer times.
Yeah it should be sub 5 without much of a problem. The 4.3s was timed on my phone and the road wasn't particularly flat. It wasn't down a ski-jump, but certainly wasn't level enough for an 'official' time.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Autocar got a 4.8 in the pouring rain and they always test two up with a full tank of fuel, too...

Reactions: Rob2k68
How does the ride comfort compare between the 2?
Really well

I had the A3 on the 'SE' suspension option so it rode high and soft.

The Golf R has the DCC suspension and in the comfort setting there's no real difference in ride comfort between the two.

On 'Race' suspension it's pretty jiggly to the extent that I'd only use it for a bit of a blast but it's still very well damped and keeps the car planted over rough stuff.

Reactions: richinsoton and Rob2k68
Really well

I had the A3 on the 'SE' suspension option so it rode high and soft.

The Golf R has the DCC suspension and in the comfort setting there's no real difference in ride comfort between the two.

On 'Race' suspension it's pretty jiggly to the extent that I'd only use it for a bit of a blast but it's still very well damped and keeps the car planted over rough stuff.

Have you by any chance tried one without DCC? Wanted to know how that was like.

Ordered an R myself. Went for every extra except leather as I don't like leather very much in the extrmeities of weather conditions, being either freezing or absolutely scorching, and no keyless entry as I don't like the idea of it being slightly easier to nick. They seem to get nicked enough as it is. Went for 3 door as its lighter and no sunroof as again its considerably lighter! I ordered 19th of September with a build date of 5th of December, so expecting to take delivery in middle of January. I then may end up waiting for March 1st for the plate change, if I can wait that is...will be trading in my cupra 280 for it so won't be a massive step, but 4wd will be welcomed and so will the more upper class interior. I almost went for an s3, but with an S3 I'd always want the rs3, and it would always bug me if one pulled up at the side of me. I can't really warrant spending 50 grand on a hot hatch. The s3 I specced up was coming out at 40 odd grand in both hatch form and saloon form, whereas I'm paying £32600 for the golf, so it just made it a no brainier for me. Yeah you might get a better badge on the Audi but 7 grand+ difference is a lot to pay for a badge once you're finished with spec. I actually prefer the golf interior too, the Audi is a bit too minimalist for me.

One thing which has thrown a spanner in the works is the facelift due in November....don't know if I'll end up cancelling or not with it coming.

My question in all of this is, what was the discount available on the s3 before the facelift came out and what was the discount available on the facelift s3? I've gotten a £7k discount on my golf, but obviously if i do end up cancelling for the facelift, I'd like the discount to be somewhere around the same mark on the facelift! I'd hope some things which I'm paying for now will be made standard on the facelift which means my extra's cost will be slightly less as I won't need to spec them anymore. Part of the discount on the golf is a £2000 deposit contribution, which I am assuming I will lose so I'm hoping discount to be around £5k after the facelift is launched, but I can't be sure so I thought I'd ask you guys what it was like with the Audi :)

Have you by any chance tried one without DCC? Wanted to know how that was like.

My initial test drive was with the passive suspension and 19s. Wasn't particularly uncomfortable but was firm enough for me to want to get the DCC. The passive setup isn't as hard as DCC on 'Race', but probably at least as hard as 'Normal'.

@a3_phil - Fab looking Golf R you have yourself there :thumbs up:

Ordered an R myself. Went for every extra except leather as I don't like leather very much in the extrmeities of weather conditions, being either freezing or absolutely scorching, and no keyless entry as I don't like the idea of it being slightly easier to nick. They seem to get nicked enough as it is. Went for 3 door as its lighter and no sunroof as again its considerably lighter! I ordered 19th of September with a build date of 5th of December, so expecting to take delivery in middle of January. I then may end up waiting for March 1st for the plate change, if I can wait that is...will be trading in my cupra 280 for it so won't be a massive step, but 4wd will be welcomed and so will the more upper class interior. I almost went for an s3, but with an S3 I'd always want the rs3, and it would always bug me if one pulled up at the side of me. I can't really warrant spending 50 grand on a hot hatch. The s3 I specced up was coming out at 40 odd grand in both hatch form and saloon form, whereas I'm paying £32600 for the golf, so it just made it a no brainier for me. Yeah you might get a better badge on the Audi but 7 grand+ difference is a lot to pay for a badge once you're finished with spec. I actually prefer the golf interior too, the Audi is a bit too minimalist for me.

One thing which has thrown a spanner in the works is the facelift due in November....don't know if I'll end up cancelling or not with it coming.

My question in all of this is, what was the discount available on the s3 before the facelift came out and what was the discount available on the facelift s3? I've gotten a £7k discount on my golf, but obviously if i do end up cancelling for the facelift, I'd like the discount to be somewhere around the same mark on the facelift! I'd hope some things which I'm paying for now will be made standard on the facelift which means my extra's cost will be slightly less as I won't need to spec them anymore. Part of the discount on the golf is a £2000 deposit contribution, which I am assuming I will lose so I'm hoping discount to be around £5k after the facelift is launched, but I can't be sure so I thought I'd ask you guys what it was like with the Audi :)

What you could do is change your order when the facelift and the new options are announced? I assume if you ordered it on 19th Sept I doubt you have a confirmed build week yet? I heard a lot of people who had a "confirmed" build week now have been pushed out into 2017 because of the facelift.

You might add some delay to your build if you change your order, but does mean you can keep the discount + get the facelift with any extra options you wanted?

What you could do is change your order when the facelift and the new options are announced? I assume if you ordered it on 19th Sept I doubt you have a confirmed build week yet? I heard a lot of people who had a "confirmed" build week now have been pushed out into 2017 because of the facelift.

You might add some delay to your build if you change your order, but does mean you can keep the discount + get the facelift with any extra options you wanted?

...though there are rumours brewing that they're not taking orders on the R at all any more as they haven't yet confirmed availability of the facelift R. Some are even suggesting they won't bother given how close the mk8 is...

Hi mate. Speculation is that the R will be announced on the 10th of November., but orders books will open around March 2017 for the facelift. Doubt I could stall that long. I'm not even sure I want it now, they're apparently integrating the tailpipes into the bumper, it looks like the hideous back end of the a45!

My provisioned build date is the 5th of December, should be getting confirmed around the 7th of November.

Hi mate. Speculation is that the R will be announced on the 10th of November., but orders books will open around March 2017 for the facelift. Doubt I could stall that long. I'm not even sure I want it now, they're apparently integrating the tailpipes into the bumper, it looks like the hideous back end of the a45!

My provisioned build date is the 5th of December, should be getting confirmed around the 7th of November.

Well I'm glad I'm not getting a facelift if that's what they're doing with the exhausts. Prefer having hanging pipes than built in ones.

So if it's March 2017, that's a long old wait. As the poster above you said, with MK8 so near - there is no point. Then again I wonder if the new MK8 R will be available from day one as the rest of the MK8 Golf range, or will it be another 6 months after that (talking 2019 even)?

The Seat Leon facelift has just been revealed and the Cupra is not expected until next year. Therefore, if VW are the same, the Golf facelift will be revealed next month and the performance models next year.

There is a photo circulating that shows integrated tail pipes. However, they didn't do that for the A3, so why would they do it for the Golf?

...though there are rumours brewing that they're not taking orders on the R at all any more as they haven't yet confirmed availability of the facelift R. Some are even suggesting they won't bother given how close the mk8 is...
There is some truth in this. Order books for the Golf R are closed.

The rumours on the facelift R and Mk8 are pure speculation and would not make much sense. Unless you believe the rumour that the Mk8 is out in 1 year. Which makes no sense at all. But who knows for sure.

So if it's March 2017, that's a long old wait. As the poster above you said, with MK8 so near - there is no point. Then again I wonder if the new MK8 R will be available from day one as the rest of the MK8 Golf range, or will it be another 6 months after that (talking 2019 even)?
As Abraham Lincoln one said, "You should only believe half of what you read on Audi-Sport.Net."

In 2020 there will be a new emissions standard introduced for cars. My guess is the Mk8 will be introduced for this new standard. Yes the Mk8 Golf may be announced at the end of 2018. With order books opening in early 2019. Performance models will likely be introduced around 6 month later. So I don't expect to see a Golf R until 2020.

... but who knows for sure. It's all speculation, but I like to add some educated guessing with a touch of common sense. Though strangely, common sense is not that common.

Last edited:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/major-car-makers-face-toughest-emissions-challenge-yet

"Manufacturers must also comply with an average fleet rating of 130g/km by the end of next year, a target which most firms expect to meet. However, European rule makers have specified a target of just 95g/km by 2020.

A late tweak to the regulations means that only 95 per cent of new cars have to hit the 2020 targets. However, 100 per cent of new vehicles will have to comply by 2021."

There is some truth in this. Order books for the Golf R are closed.

The rumours on the facelift R and Mk8 are pure speculation and would not make much sense. Unless you believe the rumour that the Mk8 is out in 1 year. Which makes no sense at all. But who knows for sure.

I can't see them face lifting the cupra and the s3 and not the golf R in all reality. I hope there isn't one because it'll make my decision to buy a mk7 a great choice, but I don't think it'll happen. November the 10th will tell I suppose

I'm going from a Golf R to an S3. As you've sort of done the opposite can you tell me how the sound system compares? I found the Golf was very good but when you turned the volume up high there seemed to be some sort of limiting thing on the sound. Very annoying. Is the Audi the same and if so is there some sort of mod... apart from retrofitting B&O obv!

I'm going from a Golf R to an S3. As you've sort of done the opposite can you tell me how the sound system compares? I found the Golf was very good but when you turned the volume up high there seemed to be some sort of limiting thing on the sound. Very annoying. Is the Audi the same and if so is there some sort of mod... apart from retrofitting B&O obv!

I had the B&O on the Audi and that seemingly had no limit or clipping. At the high end of the volume (40+) it was just unbearably loud, without any appreciable distortion (to my ears anyway) so in practice it was more than loud enough.

On the Golf I've got the Dynaudio but I haven't really stretched it's legs all that much. It's got a lower spec on paper (8.1 speakers vs. 13.1 speakers and 500W vs 700W ish) but it certainly has enough punch for me so far. The system does sound a bit 'tinnier' than the B&O though and my (largely uneducated) guess is that the Audi was better sound proofed / damped inside while the Golf seems to have a few more exposed harder surfaces (e.g. plastic transmission tunnel vs. mono.pur covering on the Audi) which might be the problem.