Out with the old (TDI), in with the new (Golf R)...

So B&O is higher spec on paper than Dynaudio but costs less? I was looking at the new car options list and B&O is £495 while Dynaudio is £550. Not much in it but you'd expect the opposite.

So B&O is higher spec on paper than Dynaudio but costs less? I was looking at the new car options list and B&O is £495 while Dynaudio is £550. Not much in it but you'd expect the opposite.
But the option price isn't the cost of the system.

The option price is the marginal cost of the upgraded system over the existing system.

IIRC new A3s have the old 'Audi Sound System' which used to be the upgraded option as standard and has a sub in the boot. So the B&O cost is effectively the difference in cost between the *** and the B&O components.

The Golf's standard system is more basic than the Audi's so you have to spend more to bring it up to a similar standard.

I had the B&O on the Audi and that seemingly had no limit or clipping. At the high end of the volume (40+) it was just unbearably loud, without any appreciable distortion (to my ears anyway) so in practice it was more than loud enough.

On the Golf I've got the Dynaudio but I haven't really stretched it's legs all that much. It's got a lower spec on paper (8.1 speakers vs. 13.1 speakers and 500W vs 700W ish) but it certainly has enough punch for me so far. The system does sound a bit 'tinnier' than the B&O though and my (largely uneducated) guess is that the Audi was better sound proofed / damped inside while the Golf seems to have a few more exposed harder surfaces (e.g. plastic transmission tunnel vs. mono.pur covering on the Audi) which might be the problem.

You had the B&O and then Dynaudio so it was pointless asking you.