our new A1 1.6 tdi

Drakedog84

Reaction score
Hello, after a extreme unexpected impulse buy we picked up my girlfriends phantom black s line 1.6 tdi.

We are over the moon with the car other than it needs to go back to have the wheels re painted and the drivers window makes a squeeking noise when you wind it down if its wet.

My main question here though is what mpg are people getting out of these?we ae seeing 50/53 but this really does involve driving very careful,i expected a touch more or to get these figures much easyer. The engine is on 7k miles could it be the engine is still tight,would a remap/dpf delete help?are these available even?

I personally have a leon cupra pd150 remapped and i can see 50 mpg easy with mixed driving and 60+ on a long steady trip.

What are peoples findings and anyone got any tips are easy things to change to make them better?.

By the way all mpg figures are from car trip computer values.

Thanks in advance
Robbie

Great car for an extreme impulse buy!! Any pictures of the car at all?

Best thing you can do to increase the MPG would be a remap really, do you have many plans for modifications?

Awesome Mike

Best thing is to drive the car a little bit before jumping into a re-map. If you plan to have it for the long term (like me) I question reliability since the manufacturer factors that in and there is no way an aftermarket company can compete with that much R&D time.

I moved from an S3 and driving style makes a huge difference. Best advice don't plant the foot into the carpet (ever) and find the start of the torque band.

I have around 4K on the clock of a 6 month old car that saw lots of low speed trips previously, so it's still being loosened up at higher speeds, but getting there slowly in bettering mpg.

I can get (via DIS) 45 giving it welly, 55 easly on mixed runs and 63+ on the right type of run. I'm still calculating actual (via tank refills) but I never go near a fuel station these days so thats taking some time... :D

I'm not sure where the official 74mpg figures from Audi come from as they must have been on a down hill run all the way to get that kind of consumption!

74mpg is soo far off.. Had the car nearly 2 weeks now mpg is now around 47mpg going pretty steady tbh and using abit of midrange power every now and then, definitely not driving it hard as its the girls car really.expected more but i guess it is what it is.

No modifications are planned although she has her eyes on my porsche lobster claw wheels but then it would need lowering etc to look right,Im not about to start messing about with a nearly new car like that.id personally like a dpf delete for more mpg and a remap so its a little more lively but Im unsure how good dpf delete software is now as i know alot had problems to start with.

I can get some nice pics if people are interested. Cars going in to have the wheels painted and window looked at.

We are still very happy with the car.

Just dropped the a1 off to basingstoke audi and been given a a1 same engine but a sport compared to our sline, got to say its nowhere near as nice as the sline inside and the sline body styling is another level as well although i do like the fancey spoiler on this sport though .i don't think much of the full leather in it either it just looks bland. I know it sounds like Im sagging the sport off but Im just soo surprised how far apart they are . If your looking for an a1 my advice get an sline they feel so much more special

Just dropped the a1 off to basingstoke audi and been given a a1 same engine but a sport compared to our sline, got to say its nowhere near as nice as the sline inside and the sline body styling is another level as well although i do like the fancey spoiler on this sport though .i don't think much of the full leather in it either it just looks bland. I know it sounds like Im sagging the sport off but Im just soo surprised how far apart they are . If your looking for an a1 my advice get an sline they feel so much more special

Hmm, I actually hated the S-line body kit, so i went for the sport on purpose and preferred the look of the sportback over the 3 door and thats me coming from two previous S cars. I never saw the point of s-lines myself, having now had two sport models if you want an S series car go get one. ;)

...well alright you can't get and S series A1 and also there are no S series diesels at the moment. But you get the drift.

I recently sat in two S-line A1's in the Bristol showroom. One has the S-line seats and the other the super-sports seats. I have to say the leather on the S-line seats is awful compared to the super sports seat leather, especially contrasted against the full bucket seats I had in my S3.

I will agree about interiors looking plain, although once you add climate control, bose speakers with that extra chrome and a few toys then it starts to feel a bit fuller. I sat in a SE a while back and that does feel basic I will agree. However I did quite well with mine with the exterior, misano red, full black roof, 17" sportback only wheels and Xenons (so they have exterior LED rear lights which does lift it a bit). So far I have yet to seen another A1 on the road with Zenons which does make it stand out a bit more. OK I would have had the super sports seats but as Audi head office did not spec that on the car before (and its not a Sport option) I guess the standard sports seats will do! :icon_thumright:

An update on our car and experience with Basingstoke Audi,I know this is a lot to read but any advice would be great. well it's all gone very bitter after the wheel refurb was done. Basically when
we originally collected the car and I checked it round I noticed marks on all 4 wheels from where it had been strapped to some kind of low
loader. I pointed this out to our (at that time) helpful sales guy and he said leave it with me a sec I'm sure we will be able to sort it.
anyway they agreed to refurb the wheels and we were more than happy with that as the wheel will then be in great/as new condition as
the wheel only had very light damage in the first place.

The car was dropped off as I posted above, they gave me a car as then said they want the car for a few days a as our sales guy insisted he wanted to make sure the work was done properly (and so do I). With this in mind I was sure we were in good hands,as a start this is Audi and the work should be up there with he best of them,we wasn't rushing them to have the car back and we had the sales guy being very positive about the work being done right. On collection of the car I walked towards it and straight to the pas front wheels and my heart sank, I couldn't believe how badly the wheel was painted and it looked like someone had dropped a rag onto the wet paint. The other wheels look ok from a distance but when you get up close you can see small reaction marks runs in the clear coat and areas where the silver colour is very thin. I was and still am gutted, and I pointed this out to our sales guy who had been awesome until this point, he agreed about the pas front wheel and said he would get it repainted but the rest I will just have to deal with them as they won't repainted them.Then he made a very unfair comment "if I knew we were going to get to this point I would of told you you needed to buy a new one" I was shocked he said it but I backed down,I felt awkward and that it was just me being fussy, I just like things to be right.

After this he then suggested ill get you another wheel and dashed of to see if there was another car the same on site and I just didn't want things to go bitter. He said there will be another sline in stock next wheel and they will change the wheel and tyre over, I then suggested the colours will be different but he seemed to just push that to one side and a new wheel is the solution.

i feel I have lost control of the situation and I don't feel confident enough to get it back or be back on par with the salesman. The top and bottom of it is the guy that does there wheel refurbs didn't even nearly do there job properly and it's more than clear to see. I feel awkward about bringing this up with Audi because of the way I was made to feel and every time I think about the car all I can think about is the state of the wheels. We wish we never had them done as now they are worse than before.

if you managed to get through all of that then thanks and I'd love some advice

Don't feel awkward, you're paying for the car, they said they would sort the wheels out so they were 'as new' they haven't done that so push for it to be done, don't back down!

Suggesting to swap one wheel for another it stupid as the colour match will be different, tell them straight, don't feel awkward.

The problem is the only way this can go now is sour to get what i want and i really don't want that. But on the other hand i feel massively fobbed of and i shouldn't feel the way i do. I was looking to get a car myself in the next few months but Im really put of basingstoke audi now.

Complain to Audi UK, Basingstoke Audi will soon change there tune.

I think i need to start kicking some **** at the dealer and grow some balls. Looks like its going to be the only way forward,its a shame its just completely ruined what was a great buying experience

i would never have agreed to the wheels being painted in the first place!
theres no way they could look like new when a monkey in a dusty contaminated paint shop is doing them insted of a million£ computer controlled machine in a super controlled environment.
you want 4 brand new wheels out of their boxes. tell them that......... if he doesn't agree then go above the salesmans head to someone higher up than him.
the salesman is one of the worker ants at the end of the day, he is told want decisions he can make on his own. only people higher up the food chain than him can tell him otherwise.

I would of been happy with a man with a spray gun finish if the man with the spray gun done his job correctly. I'm not looking for 4 new wheels,I don't think it warrants that,I just want them to do the job properly

youve bought a new car with new wheels included.... and your happy with having to have re-furbished wheels?

to put it into perspective........... my audi 100 2.8q is 20 years old and covered 102k i bought it for £400 last year, on ebay!! the 17" wheels have never been painted or refurbed and still look good.
dont get me wrong, they have the odd mark, slight corrosion etc. but still, youd expect that with the age of it and mileage and the price tag.

your cars 6-12 months old and done 7000 miles, and youve bought it from a dealer. tell them you want new wheels or they can have the car back!

Some more help for what its worth,

1, Ditch the sales guy and demand to deal with someone else. I did this when I ordered my second S3 in the UK, the initial guy was supposedly the 'S' salesman, but quite frankly clueless. My first S3 came from a small dealer in Germany and he was awesome. You just walk in and speak to the general manager then deal with someone else. Simple.

2, I kerbed one of my alloys (very lightly) on my last S3 and after 5 years and had this resprayed by the Audi body shop. The finish was excellent and afterwards with the other wheels cleaned up you couldn't tell it wasn't an original, there was no colour difference at all. So if the finish you have from Audi is rubbish demand to get a different technician to do the repair job. Simple again.

3, The idea you go to head office is right as dealers are franchised, but my experience is you first work your way up through the local hierarchy and end up at the owner of the franchise, as there is noting more intimidating than a ****** off customer talking to a franchise owner saying your next stop is the head office...

Personalities do come into play in any relationship - even business - and they really see us as a cash cow for their product, however this is a world apart from the quality level of service the brand demands and that you have consumer rights for. So go and demand better.

The thing to do is move on if you don't get the right response, it takes effort, but you do get there in the end. :thumbsup:

Oh and my A1 1.6TD Sport is going great now, just had all the rattles sorted out (as it was the first ever build of the car to come into the UK), so its going even better as one odd rattle turned out to be a bit of awkward trim not fitted correctly. My trick to getting the job done well? I demanded a road test with actual the technician who would do the work and then a road test after it was complete. Once you get face to face with the people who do the work they really are good people and know their stuff, if you value them they do a nice job in return; compliments are everything and they frequently receive none. There are too many people in the chain these days so you have to cut them all out if you want the result you demand. :yahoo:

Last edited: