1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q5 Our new 2011 Q5 2.0TDI S-Line Special Edition

Boydie Mar 7, 2018

1. Boydie

Boydie S3 8V DSG VCDS Map User

My latest purchase which will be my wifes and child to be's chariot :)

Not many modified Q5 on here so I thought I would share with you. At the minute the car is standard but over the next weeks/months, there will be some OEM+ changes to the car to suit my style and make it even more prestigious

It is a 2011 2.0TDI 143bhp S-Line Special Edition. Bought locally here in Northern Ireland but originally from Wolverhampton Audi as far as I know.

Very good base spec, just lacking Sat Nav and cruise control (I can retro fit cruise).

Overall the wife is extremely happy with the purchase and looks forward to driving it!

S Line Special Ed standard equipment

• Audio remote
    • Body coloured bumpers
    • Headlight washers
    • Leather seat trim
    • Lumbar support
    • Parking sensors
    • Partial leather seat trim
    • Sports seats

Optional extras include:

• B&O sound system
    • Bluetooth
    • Full leather

4A47CD3B-A678-4B15-9B2D-9F3FD5D2790C.jpeg

73C30E59-B392-4208-AD5F-BCDF07A7C66F.jpeg

462CB83A-F9E1-4FEA-A771-B8C8F92FD600.jpeg

39E37FA9-79E1-4DD1-ACE6-EE1CADF101E5.jpeg

A0B4AC54-65B5-4BAB-875E-810C582EFD4B.jpeg

065E43B4-0F5E-488C-BD74-7CCE20AAB77E.jpeg

Plans are, in no particular order:

• Full service
    • Front and rear bumper respray
    • Black Edtion front grill
    • Auto-skins for rear tints and dechrome
    • Revo map and panel filter potentially
    • OEM running boards
    • 3.0 TDI rear valence (dual exit)
    • Paint correction at PMG
    • Cruise control
    • Carbon or black interior trim
    • Centre cap replacement
    • Wheel refurb (minor marks)
    • Debadge
    • Replace some rusted bolts in the engine bay

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Boydie

First batch of parts have arrived:

OEM engine bolts
    Genuine Centre Caps
    2011 Drivers Rear Light (original cracked)

E0DFCA86-6B97-4BEC-8617-0441FB66B4A3.jpeg
    Got the rear light fitted last night. Absolute gift to work on, so easy to remove and install.

You can see where the crack was. I’m happy as it was holding water, clare was none the wiser!

9C102C83-A5FC-479C-9E1E-2B7D6CB8EF6A.jpeg

Hopefully get more parts fitted this week and it’s due in for a full service on Friday.

4. Boydie

Second batch of parts arrived:

OEM boot liner and cargo net:

22C65534-A159-4672-A43E-439A4F286E84.jpeg

OEM rubber mats front and back - I am fully prepared for muddy prams and projectile vomit!!

D0254428-0893-40A6-83ED-89248948A56C.jpeg

5. Sandra

Sandra Administrator Staff Member Administrator TeamMisano TFSI Owners Group Audi S3 quattro Platinum Supporter S tronic Audi Main Dealer

Fantastic Looking Car Andrew. Hope Clare enjoys it. :) x

6. sschwar2

sschwar2 New Member

Looks like a nice ride! Crazy to me that cruise doesn’t come standard. I think every car here in the US comes with cruise control.

I’ve had my car for about 2 years and have yet to use the navigation. I use Waze for directions, traffic and police alerts. Have you thought of just getting a nice phone mount for navigation?

How do you plan to remove chrome? Having my Q7 wrapped in black as we speak for chrome delete.

Congrats on the incoming rug rat! Make sure to get a nice seat with the latch system to secure to the seat anchors. Get some rest now...!

Boydie likes this.
  7. mxnrg

mxnrg Well-Known Member Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Audi Q5 SQ5 owners group MQB Platform

Great to see a mark I Q5 being revived by someone enthusiastic about their cars! What was the milage on your 2011 car?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Boydie likes this.
  8. Boydie

Thanks Sandra as always!

Yeah surprised as well there is no cruise but it can all be retro fitted - I have done it to my previous Audi's.

I wont be removing the chrome, will be wrapping the chrome parts but unsure now whether to do the window surrounds as I have purchased OEM running boards which will be chrome/brushed. I have a black grill coming so will be doing the fog surrounds and roof rails so will see how it looks!

My wife isn't fussed on things sticking to the window, finds them distracting but will think of something to do for the navigation!

59k on it and barely a mark on the car and no major wear on the interior!

Thanks for the comments. More mods to come!

Sandra likes this.
  9. sschwar2

sschwar2 New Member

Yea. I hate window mounts too. I have a air vent/magnetic mount which I love.

You’ll need a radar and laser jammers on that puppy!

10. mxnrg

mxnrg Well-Known Member Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Audi Q5 SQ5 owners group MQB Platform

Illegal in the UK I believe?

11. sschwar2

sschwar2 New Member

Eh... plenty of people use them still. Just need to be careful.

12. Avatar

13. Boydie

Took delivery of a new gear stick and surround - the one in the Q5 was looking tatty and spinning as the clip that attaches to the stick must have come loose.

99a052602ee35d042111e2edca0f581b.jpg

I won a 3.0TDI rear bumper on eBay with the intention of just using the lower valance. Plan is to install and get a custom exhaust manufactured to fit the dual exit

bumper.jpeg

I have also won OEM running boards which I hope to collect this morning!

Got in touch with my painter as well for front and rear bumper respray. It is all go at the minute!!

Picking up the car from my mechanic this morning after having received a full service and belt change. I will hopefully fit all the extra parts this weekend!

14. mxnrg

Looking forward to seeing the difference! Does a custom exhaust impact emissions or is it downstream of the environmental bits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. Boydie

@mxnrg it wont affect emissions as I wouldn't be removing the cat or changing downpipes for example. All it would be would be either adding an extra pipe to the OEM back box and changing the existing tip to a single outlet or changing the entire back box to suit the rear bumper - I will speak with the fabricator when the time comes

mxnrg likes this.
  16. Boydie

Busy day today. Takes ages to clean and dry this car lol can’t wait to get it detailed to quicken up the process!

V5 finally arrived, probably late due to the weather but means I was able to get her plate on and take off the Q5 and TDI badges.

Very satisfying job to be honest!

A3D5EEE7-5CFA-46F8-9D46-94F0342048C1.jpeg

Residue left under the rear plate

7587B90F-8710-411A-81C2-B99ABBB04A01.jpeg

Old faithful, never fails!

642031D9-8858-44AB-A0C6-21C03BD0CC20.jpeg

Smooth :)

Polished the exhaust tips as well, probably never seen the light of day in 7 years!
    31A4E513-9C6F-423C-ACFC-28122B7D5769.jpeg

17. Boydie

Took delivery of this at the weekend, a 3.0 TDI rear bumper with the intention of swopping over the valence and having a dual exit on my Q5.

3.0 bumper.jpeg

The Q5 goes in for paint next week to have:

• The lower fins on the front bumper repaired as they are dented, plus respray
    • Rear bumper has a tow bar dent in it by the looks of it and is scored from lifting shiit in and out of the boot

Then it will be off to Powerflow for a subtle custom OEM style exhaust and I can then finally prepare the car for full detail with Gtechniq ceramic coating.

mxnrg likes this.
  18. Boydie

Valence stripped from the bumper and awaiting fitment

Contacted a local firm for rear window tints which will hopefully happen this week.

Booked in for front and rear bumper respray next week and while it is there, have my black edition grill fitted which is to arrive this week.

I had running boards ready for pick up so hopefully get them fitted this week if they are not too tricky!

Following the respray of the bumpers, I will leave it a couple of weeks to let the paint cure/set/whatever then book it in for detail.

Busy times ahead!

19. Boydie

Another update this week with the Q5 being dropped off at painters for the front and rear bumpers to be repsrayed and minor repairs.

I’m sure a number of you are aware that carelessness leads to the front fins of the bumper being dented on kerbs or tow bars so I had to get this rectified, looking good:

7A77E6A5-5222-4459-9569-294D985540D6.jpeg

Rear bumper had already been badly painted and had a tow bar type crease in the middle so had that all repaired too:

8AC73277-4A49-4799-A1E1-2CC2F0BA493B.jpeg

I ordered a black edition grill which is to arrive tomorrow for build up which I’m looking forward to see.

While car has been away other parts arrived:

• Genuine SQ5 carbon interior trim
    • Genuine facelift window switches
    • Genuine aluminium pedals and kick plate
    • Genuine Q5 running boards

So what’s next, once it’s back from paint hopefully my wife will give birth lol then I may or more than likely not get a chance to fit all these parts.

Once the paint has settled, it will be booked in for a ceramic detail.

Once that’s done I’ll get the chrome wrapped in Matt black vinyl by Auto Skins NI.

Enjoying this project!

20. mxnrg

Nice update. Looking forward to some nice high res pics of the finished result!

Boydie likes this.
  21. Boydie

Busy couple of weeks before arrival of baby Boydie.

Wednesday week ago I took it to Carnology in Bangor to have the rear Windows tinted.

Great job by the guys in there and in my opinion transforms the look of the car. No pics of it yet as I haven’t had a chance to clean it since.

Been ordering parts flat out to fit over the next few weeks when I get a chance:

• Audi S1 gear knob and gaiter
    • OEM aluminium pedals
    • OEM facelift window switches with aluminium tips
    • OEM leather door armrests
    • OEM genuine SQ5 carbon interior trim
    • OEM Audi centre caps
    • OEM Black Edition Grill

Probably forgetting something but I’ll update you all later.

This week the Q5 was with KRCR outside Bangor getting the front and rear bumpers repaired and sprayed.

The front fins were dented from dunting into kerbs or tow bars and the rear bumper at some point in its life had been sprayed and had a minor crease in the middle, I’m guessing from a tow bar.

I found a dent in the drivers front wing so I asked @vettekid to arrange a dent guy to come out and sort it. To my amazement he found 10 Dents over the car, I thought my attention to detail was good but never noticed them.

The grill arrived so I got that fitted, Dents out and bumpers repaired and sprayed.

Fantastic work by Terry (vettekid) and I’m very happy with the end result.

Only down side is I didn’t realise when I bought the grill that it was for a Q5 with front sensors!! Doh!!! So I’ll just have to source 2 dummy sensors when I get the chance.

5A528C25-D144-45F4-A11E-7409D2F9E4AF.jpeg

Next, plans are to dechrome the car at Autoskins NI and get the rear valence from a 3.0 TDI installed.

Latest arrival is our baby boy. He came into this world on 24/03/18 at 05.33 after 27 hours, weighing 8.3lbs. Mum and my new son are doing fantastic and she was amazing.

Looking forward to his first drive in the Q5!

Jcbmally and q5man like this.
  22. mxnrg

The car stuff is all good, but baby Boydie news is what matters really, congratulations to you and your partner!

23. mxnrg

Will be interested in your final bill of materials, labour and personal time getting your Q5 into tip-top shape. You think you could now sell it for more than you paid for it? (Not that you planned to do that)

24. Boydie

I see car modification as a hobby. I don’t worry about cost or worry about losing money on cars. Check my 8P S3 money pit thread for example and my current Revo Stage 2 S3 8V.

Haven’t worked out yet what I’ve spent but dent removal, spraying both bumpers and fitting grill was £700

The detail and ceramic coating will cost around £400 at least

I’ll work out the rest when I get a chance.

mxnrg likes this.
  25. q5man

q5man Mythos Appreciator Team Mythos TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter quattro Audi Q5

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boydie likes this.
  26. Boydie

What a basstard to fit but got there in the end. Had to put the pedals in boiling water and use some Vaseline to wiggle on.

Just stuck the boot onto the dead pedal

Overall, happy!

5400AB9D-14C4-4EC1-90D6-438462C8DFDC.jpeg

q5man likes this.
  27. Boydie

Update! My running boards arrived and got them installed last night

First for everything and was exciting to work out how to approach this and see the finished product. As far as I know these are not factory order and have to be installed by dealers upon delivery if spec'd by new owner.

First we had to strip the under side of the trays and covers, peel back the sticky under seal to reveal the locating holes. Once this was done, we had to press in the riv nuts:

IMG_9764.JPG

Then attach the brackets to secure the running boards:

IMG_9765.JPG

IMG_9766.JPG IMG_9767.JPG

You get the idea.

Then line up and secure the running boards them selves:

IMG_9769.JPG

Serious beef on these boards and weigh a good bit too!

IMG_9770.JPG

All lined up and secure, couple of final install pictures and will wait until I get the car washed before some proper pictures. Overall, I am very happy with the end result and helps the look of the car!

IMG_9771.JPG IMG_9772.JPG

On top of installation - you have to cut the standard under trays. Mine over the years have been damaged so I have had to order up two new trays at roughly £40 each.

You are supplied with specific covers for the new brackets and just have to cut the OEM trays to fit around the brackets - we will get this completed some evening next week.

With the new addition to the family and my Great Uncle turning 90 this week, we are planning a trip to Aboyne in Scotland for his party. Really looking forward to this road trip as I did something similar last November through the Cairngorms in my S3.

Having hauled all the baby stuff already in the car to various places around Belfast, I struggle to see how a small family can get all their own gear plus baby essentials packed into the car without it being too cramped. Therefore, I have ordered this as well which should hopefully be here by next week:

roof box.jpg

Proper OEM+ project! It is silver grey with black side strip - I think it will look nice against the wheels and running boards.

Also on order are 2 black edition fog light grills to tie in with the front grill, again, hope they arrive this week for install!

32748.jpg

q5man likes this.
  28. mxnrg

Wow, to say you’ve been busy is an understatement! I see now why on the Mk.2 the running boards are not an option when you have air suspension.

Safe travels on the road trip.

Boydie and q5man like this.
  29. Boydie

Thanks! There is more to come in next couple of weeks

• possible Revo remap
    • ceramic coating detail
    • cruise control
    • finish off SQ5 carbon interior trim
    • fit S1 gear knob
    • vinyl wrap window frames and roof rails
    • fit window switches
    • fit leather armrests

Jcbmally likes this.
  30. Boydie

These arrived today! Found a breaker on eBay selling them and couldn’t say no since the Q5 comes with the basic, bland armrests.

Did this mod to my S3 8V so I am more than happy to do it to the Q5

D3C8BC9D-F3CB-4DFE-99A4-321D07CBEB0A.jpeg

q5man likes this.
  31. Boydie

I had some time this afternoon while she watched the wee man and got stuck into this next stage of the Q5 project.

Not sure what year or type of Q5 these leather armrests came from but didn't matter as they were a straight fit! So here is a short write up just in case any of you fancy doing it yourself! I also installed the facelift window switches.

Tools:
    • Torque bits - 2 sizes
    • Screw driver
    • Plastic Pry Tools
    First of all, use the pry tools to strip the trim. Easy to do and start from the end furthest away from the door handle:

file5-2.jpeg

Secondly, remove the two screws below:

file6-2.jpeg

The screw under the armrest itself:

file1-1.jpeg

And the screw at the bottom of the door card which for some reason the photo I have uploaded will just not attach!

Use the pry tools to pop the door card off the door frame, don't be afraid to use some force as these are strong little buggers and take a bit of yanking to get free.

Right behind the top of the handle is another locating joint. Once all the poppers are free, lift the entire door card up, give it a wiggle and it should come loose.

Next, disconnect the door handle cable:

file2-2.jpeg

Pop the clip off the door card (green) and pull back on the cable to release the white clip

Then the clip should come loose:

file1-2.jpeg

Then free the hook:

file-2.jpeg

Disconnect speaker and other cabling connected to modules on the door frame:

file3-2.jpeg
    file4-2.jpeg

The you should have a free door card to remove all the screws holding the armrest on which is pretty self explanatory:

file3-1.jpeg

The armrest "leather" and plastic just split from each other - this is necessary in order to release the cabling from the back of the window switches
    file5-1.jpeg

Then basically reverse all the steps and put it all back together and hey presto:

file-1.jpeg

file7-2.jpeg

Very, very happy with the outcome - really does improve the interior look of the car. I still have to install the centre console carbon trim which I just haven't got a chance to look at. Maybe tomorrow.

Attached Files:

q5man likes this.
  32. Boydie

Dash trim arrived from @creweaudiparts - great service and thanks very much. Easy to fit, literally 2 min job, makes the difference!

E80380E0-A86D-4408-B891-E0AA2FD8982F.jpeg

q5man likes this.
  33. Avatar

34. q5man

q5man Mythos Appreciator Team Mythos TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter quattro Audi Q5

Wow, transforming your Q5, great job and excellent instructions

Boydie likes this.
  35. sschwar2

sschwar2 New Member

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Boydie likes this.
  36. Boydie

The fun just doesn’t stop!

B02596EB-E232-47FD-A99D-1EE30FF25D28.jpeg

q5man likes this.
  37. Boydie

Postman just keeps coming lol

B6C709C8-7B46-4095-9DAC-3C95D5CD93B0.jpeg

And just like that

B245FEF9-B3D9-4D7E-A33F-875DFDF5C4CC.jpeg

38. mxnrg

Coolant cap?

Boydie likes this.
  39. Boydie

Yeah, need to source the right sized black washer cap now

40. Boydie

Busy few days before our road trip to Scotland next week - left the car to a company called Autoskins NI to wrap the roof bars and window trim. Happy with this job and nearly completed the exterior features of this car

Some photos to show the running boards as well

1E85D5A3-522B-448A-AA60-ABF3EE9536B4.jpeg
    8AB5EE89-3B00-45EB-8258-A9B9E2481173.jpeg
    9AE2518D-0698-44FA-B7BB-AAF3608CDDA8.jpeg

My OEM fog grills are to arrive on 23/04/17 - a lot later than expected but no big deal

I reordered the roof box and changed it to a 405L as I think the 300L would be too small looking. This arrives on Tuesday.

Next on the list is the 3.0TDI style exhaust and rear valence which I hope to have done on Wednesday afternoon.

Thursday morning we head to Scotland for a family party where my Great Uncle has turned 90. The trip takes us to Aboyne just outside the east of Cairngorms and has one of my favourite roads on the way. Pity its in the Q5 instead of my S3 but will be fun none the less

Road Trip 1.jpg

Road Trip 2.jpg

q5man likes this.
  41. q5man

Looking relay good! Love the wrapped trim and roof bars, and running boards really set it off. Safe trip

Boydie likes this.
  42. CountJunkula

CountJunkula New Member

Wow, the car looks great! It’s from my neck of the woods too (Wolverhampton)

I’ve recently bought a black (Petrol) Q5 myself and started a progress thread over on the myaudiq5 forum but nothing compared to the scale of yours. Here’s the link to mine: http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/t...progress-thread/page__pid__457298#entry457298

I bet those interior trims cost a small fortune, they look great though!

I was also planning on the de-chrome at some point. I noticed fitting my roof bars the other day that they have pins that fit into the corresponding holes on the roof rails. Apparently these aren’t just to locate the bars, but are also so the car knows when it has a load attached to the roof and it makes some kind of adjustments to the car’s settings(At least that’s what YouTube tells me) will this work through the wrap or did the cut out the holes on the bars? I’m a mountain biker so I need to have the bars on and off pretty regularly, do you think the black bars would hold up well to moderate use?

As for the Nav, have you seen those digitiser touch pads that fit over the OEM screen to give you a whole new Nav/media kit as well as the factory functions? It looks pretty interesting!

Here’s a link https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/172947289428

Boydie likes this.
  43. Boydie

Picked up genuine Audi Q5 roof bars this morning for the roof box locally on Gumtree. Couldn’t believe my luck and especially the price since they are £260 new. Owner had never even used them!

Trial for happens this afternoon.