Ouch

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieselJake

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
IMG_20140709_173915.jpg

Made love to an Octavia VRS this morning, went straight up the back end. We exchanged details and all that jazz and I admitted fault, the bloke seemed ok (but no chance I'm trusting him, probably dodgy as) and wanted to go through insurance, I wanted to settle privately and we eventually agreed to go private. He wants the work carried out at a main dealer which is fair enough as it was a brand new car. Just wondering where I stand doing this from an insurance and legal point of view, don't want to settle privately then have him trying to claim on top or anything stupid like that. I'm assuming I just need him to send a copy of the invoice and I send cash so I get copies of the cost and a statement of the money transferred over.

... oh also... and I know this is stupid... he wrote down a note of me admitting liability and I signed it... to be fair it was my fault and surely if he wanted to do anything with this I could just put this down to signing it out of shock or something.

Mate, he wants the repair work to be carried out by a main dealer! I'd just go with an insurance claim, or prepare for the Bill for a brand new bumper with paint on top, plus all the clips and brackets and the labour at Dealer rates.

Your call...

Reactions: Artimus
Go with insurance, what's the point in paying for it if you are not going to use it when needed.

As long as you are protected it's fine.

Trups

Reactions: ChrisKnottIns
Yeah definitely want to see the bill first, insurance may say mine's a right off but I've got it looking much better now just by washing and pulling bits.

If I protected my no claims now would that cover me for when he makes a claim or is it from the day of an incident rather than day of the claim.

Yeah definitely want to see the bill first, insurance may say mine's a right off but I've got it looking much better now just by washing and pulling bits.

If I protected my no claims now would that cover me for when he makes a claim or is it from the day of an incident rather than day of the claim.

No mate, don't think you can protect it mid term.

Reactions: ChrisKnottIns
Definitely go through the insurance, especially if you have legal cover.

If the accident happened in Birmingham don't be too surprised to get a whiplash claim for the driver and the eight occupants that wasn't in the car.

Reactions: CHEZ, Artimus, sebbie and 1 other person
If you went up the back of him there won't be any dispute over liability. You'll be deemed at fault even if you hadn't signed anything.

Whatever you decide you should notify your insurer of the accident immediately. If you're not claiming, tell them it's for 'information only'.

Reactions: sidibear
And when you give a 'for information only' (as insurance requires) be prepared for that to follow you for the next 5 years and have insurance companies suck air through their teeth as you seek quotes...

IMHO you'd be better off claiming for this one as you will be penalised anyway.
Ask me how I know this....

Reactions: Brennan
Would rather not look like a risk though if I could avoid it, surely the reason most deal privately is to avoid high insurance premiums. I'm more concerned with how I could be affected if I paid for the repairs and he tried going through insurance on top.

Would rather not look like a risk though if I could avoid it, surely the reason most deal privately is to avoid high insurance premiums. I'm more concerned with how I could be affected if I paid for the repairs and he tried going through insurance on top.

I would only deal with a claim privately if it's a cheap repair. Anything repair that's going to be more than double my excess, then insurance it is.

True, he's getting back with a quote tomorrow anyway so I'll report back, thing is another claim has only just been resolved (with me not at fault, yay) so I really don't want to loose 4+ years no claims.

Would rather not look like a risk though if I could avoid it, surely the reason most deal privately is to avoid high insurance premiums.

That may be the case but it's a requirement of your policy that you inform them because it is relevant to them. We have a case on another forum where a member decided to go private, the third party changed their mind, made a claim against his policy and the insurer is questioning why the policyholder didn't tell them about the accident. They are within their rights to refuse to pay the claim because they haven't had the chance to control the costs from day one.

Reactions: TheDriver
Sounds dodgy, an insurance company should not refuse to pay on the basis of the person at fault not declaring the incident. Adding to the list of reasons why insurance is a scam.

People rarely think about what they'd expect if it was their own money paying for the claims. You'd want to know early on so that you could control the process, not be landed with an unexpected bill when it was too late to do anything about it. What's the scam exactly?

Scam is we pay to be insured in the event of an incident! Chris Knott must work differently because last I checked insurance was there to protect people in the event of an accident, just lost a potential customer anyway.

Bloke's got back in touch now, tried ringing but I didn't pick up as obviously there would be no trace of the call (... from my side, he may of been recording) saying it's one thousand eight hundred quid for just a rear bumper fitted and sprayed, didn't send me a copy of the invoice via email (as he said he would) so chances are this is all just a load of rubbish, looks like the insurance route is the one for me.

Update: He's now sent me a quote from a private garage rather than the dealer (blatantly one of his mates garages) with a big list of things that definitely did not need replacing, ****** scammer didn't even have a god damn dent.

Harsh Jake, no need to go on the attack at Chris, he's just here to offer friendly and professional advice. It's actually not any help to yourself that you've posted everything up above to be honest.

Anyways, I highly recommend you go with the insurance route, if the quote you received is true. Unfortunately, if it was my newish car that's been hit, I'd want a professional repair with warranty over a cut price cash job.

Yeah to be fair I shouldn't post so much insurance stuff as it's a bit of a touchy area, I'm all for advice but stories of Chris Knott trying not to pay out due to clients wanting to deal privately boils my blood.

He's probably getting a decent job but told his mate how much he would like out of me and pretty much wrote him out a payslip.

Here's a picture of the car in question:

IMG_20140709_082954.jpg

... don't know about you guys but even at dealer prices (and he didn't even go to a dealer) surely that's still sub seven hundred.

Last edited:
To be honest Jake, it's a '14' plate, so if he's claiming a new rear bumper, he's going to want new parking sensors, the rear diffuser, the red reflector strip and the scratch proof trim, with paint, it's easily over a grand for a perfect finish dealer or not.

Just my personal opinion mate, I'm no expert.

Invoice just quotes rear bumper, he's got this bloke to write it out in so much detail that it looks like he's getting much more done. This big price tag was given at some dodgy back yard budget garage down Digbeth (aka his mates garage). No chance I'd take a 14 plate VRS to be repaired down the backstreet's of Digbeth, presumably he wouldn't either and this is all just a big con.

Parts / Panels Requiring Renewal:
BUMPER TRIM
REAR IMPACT DAMPER
REAR COVER BUMPER
RR BUMPER MOULDING
L.R OUT BUMPER GUIDE
L.R BUMPER GUIDE
R.R BUMPER GUIDE
R.R OUT BUMPER GUIDE
REAR HD BUMPER COVER
REAR BUMPER SPOILER
R.R REFLECTOR

Parts / Panels Requiring Painting:
BUMPER REINFORCER NEW PART PAINTING
REAR COVER BUMPER NEW PART PAINT K1R
L/R OUTER SENSOR SURFACE PAINT PLAST.
R/R OUTER SENSOR SURFACE PAINT PLAST.
L/R INNER SENSOR SURFACE PAINT PLAST.
R/R INNER SENSOR SURFACE PAINT PLAST.

Invoice just quotes rear bumper, he's got this bloke to write it out in so much detail that it looks like he's getting much more done. This big price tag was given at some dodgy back yard budget garage down Digbeth (aka his mates garage). No chance I'd take a 14 plate VRS to be repaired down the backstreet's of Digbeth, presumably he wouldn't either and this is all just a big con.

BUMPER TRIM
REAR IMPACT DAMPER
REAR COVER BUMPER
RR BUMPER MOULDING
L.R OUT BUMPER GUIDE
L.R BUMPER GUIDE
R.R BUMPER GUIDE
R.R OUT BUMPER GUIDE
REAR HD BUMPER COVER
REAR BUMPER SPOILER
R.R REFLECTOR

Jake, I've had a quote before from the pros when they do an insurance quote, the computer they use for insurance quotes are all broken down in parts just like you have posted. And it is usually a hiked up price at the higher rate of labour for insurance work, there was news articles about the whole ripoff insurance claims etc. a few years back.

Let's face it, the guy you hit owes you no favours to help you out, which is why I'm suggesting you go through insurance than get stressed about thinking you are getting conned. Live and learn and all that...

City Centre Car Care are in Digbeth, and are approved by Audi, Jag, Aston Martin etc.
Not all garages in Digbeth are dodgy.

As for your insurance gripes, Chris Knott is the only insurer on here who has given you free advice, you should listen and take it. And yes, I am one of their customers.
You need insurance, its a legal requirement, whether its a scam or not is irrelevant in this instance.
Picture this scene, you are about to buy something, the seller gives you all the details, you agree a price, but when you go to collect it, its different from what was described. Are you still obligated to buy it, or if you do buy it and find out later its different would you want your money back?
With insurance you are the seller, the broker who is the buyer has the right to know all the details.

For what its worth, the rear bumper replacement on my B7 A4 Avant in Lava Grey complete with paint was around £1300.00. No fault claim, the other guy wanted to go private initially but I still contacted the insurance company to let them know. Once I gave him the quote (from CCCR in Digbeth) he decided to go through the his insurance, my company were already aware of it and so I didn't have any problems, he did as they said he should have informed them regardless.

Reactions: CHEZ
Well I've rang insurance who are trying to get my car down as cat c-d (so they can charge more next ****** time), not only that but they want a hundred quid more excess than what was charged last claim yet the policy hasn't changed. I said I wanted it sorted at a private garage and they were firstly trying to make out that I couldn't do this (when I obviously could) and then said if I did then I would need to have it taken to one of there's too for a quote which I seriously can't be bothered doing.

I appreciate the insurance company having an insight but the story (as with most insurance stories) was rubbish.

With banks owning this country it's no wonder Insurance companies (the bankers paradise) are pretty much licensed to eat our money.

BUMPER TRIM
REAR IMPACT DAMPER
REAR COVER BUMPER
RR BUMPER MOULDING
L.R OUT BUMPER GUIDE
L.R BUMPER GUIDE
R.R BUMPER GUIDE
R.R OUT BUMPER GUIDE
REAR HD BUMPER COVER
REAR BUMPER SPOILER
R.R REFLECTOR

This looks about right for all the bits that would be required for a new bumper. Dont forget that your bumper and the bars behind it are meant to absorb the impact. Just because it doesn't look the bumper is damaged doesn't mean to say that the kit behind isnt. It's clear from the photo that bumper is split and the red trim needs replacing. They'll swop the parking sensors over to the new bumper. Whether or not all this amounts to £1800 I'm not sure. Remember insurance companies will be able to screw this down quite a bit with their approved repairer. You're looking at least £1000 as I this is what my last bumper replacement cost after someone went into the back of me. The numpty claimed there was no damage!

If I were you I'd remove your potentially libelous comments against a garage which you obviously haven't used and are unfamiliar with. It is no uncommon for main dealers to use a different bodyshop as not all have repair facilities on site. I know my local dealer has facilities that are 45 miles away but, owned by the same group.

You've asked for advice and been given some pretty good advice in my opinion and all you have chosen to do is have a go at those who are trying to help.

Hope you get it sorted.

That may be the case but it's a requirement of your policy that you inform them because it is relevant to them. We have a case on another forum where a member decided to go private, the third party changed their mind, made a claim against his policy and the insurer is questioning why the policyholder didn't tell them about the accident. They are within their rights to refuse to pay the claim because they haven't had the chance to control the costs from day one.

Are they though? I don't believe they can refuse a third party claim. Same as the small print in most policies that excludes the Nurburgring, it's technically a toll road so the insurer regardless of small print is required to cover third parties.

Reactions: DieselJake
If I were you I'd remove your potentially libelous comments against a garage which you obviously haven't used and are unfamiliar with.

Didn't say which garage, been to Digbeth enough to see some funny fix's.

Yeah to be fair I shouldn't post so much insurance stuff as it's a bit of a touchy area, I'm all for advice but stories of Chris Knott trying not to pay out due to clients wanting to deal privately boils my blood.

For clarity, because I think you're confused, we're just a broker - we don't decide whether claims get paid or not. And no-one's saying your insurer won't pay out (whoever they are). Our advice was simply that you should inform your insurer because it's a term of your contract to do so, regardless of how you proceed with the claim.

I'm not sure the Skoda owner will thank you for putting his reg plate on a forum without permission.

i agree with the other posts, you are at fault so let your insurance deal with the situation.

There's been no denial of fault, encase you haven't noticed this thread was made to vent anger and get advice, couldn't care less what the owner thinks as he'll get his car sorted probably with ten whiplash claims pocketed on top.

You are unbelievable !!

You run into someone's brand new car, basically call him dodgy then expect him to settle up without going through insurance.....

Then come on here ranting about it slagging insurance off as if your the injured party in all this.......

TIP: don't drive so friggin close to the car in front then !!!!!!!!!!

Rear bumper huggers like you give all Audi owners a bad name.

Reactions: CHEZ, Artimus and DAYTONA 500
You are unbelievable !!

You run into someone's brand new car, basically call him dodgy then expect him to settle up without going through insurance.....

Then come on here ranting about it slagging insurance off as if your the injured party in all this.......

TIP: don't drive so friggin close to the car in front then !!!!!!!!!!

Rear bumper huggers like you give all Audi owners a bad name.

Reactions: peaky83, DAYTONA 500, CL4RKY and 1 other person
Mate, we can all understand that you're peeved off. I would be too, the last thing anyone need is a hefty bill to add to their worries.

Unfortunately, a lack of concentration - even for a split second - can turn out costly. As you've found out the hard way.

Use your insurance company, you said yourself that essentially you should only be paying for something when you need it. I'm sure the chap isn't trying to scam you, but if I'd bought a brand new 14 plate motor, and then somebody hit me up the backside, I think I'd be fairly peeved myself. Which would warrant me trying to get every penny I can possibly claim for, he's well within his rights.

Throwing insults around left right and centre is not going to help you in any way, and quite frankly it's just childish. The members of ASN are only trying to help.

Reactions: Artimus and TheDriver
Aaah man you just got the BV43 in there the other day too.

As for the claim you're gonna have to bite the bullet and do it via insurance. Yes he may or may not claim that he broke his eye socket and what not via this route, but that is down to the fact that it's become like a ritual to do so when in an accident.

Just put it behind you and move on me thinks.

Wow you still going on about this? Throwing insults around and accusing everyone of wrongdoing and being 'dodgy'.

As others have said you need to concentrate next time you're driving. You were too close to the car in front. The poor guy has had his pride and joy damaged (yes it is damaged even if you think it isn't too bad and only a few hundred quid).

Personally I hope he now takes you to the cleaners - a claim for a courtesy car should add a good few hundred quid onto the bill. I hope he also reports you to the police for driving without due care and attention. You appear to be a bit of a bitter person so I hope he also puts in a personal injury claim just for good measure. :yes:

Drive carefully.:whistle2:

Reactions: T-800
Insults like that are what keep this going :blink: many thanks to people providing help and insight, everyone else should think before reiterating the incident as though crashing and being at fault is intentional.

Everyone feels the need to assume distance between bumpers, for the record this incident did not involve tailgating.

Hopefully there will be more similar threads from eledged superior drivers in this one so I can return insults and opinion whilst refusing to provide advice.

It's a bad situation. My sympathy for the fact that you will end up paying for it, and understandably you are angry….
In this situation, I would just go through insurance, and then try to forget about it (its good for your health). Some insurance companies won't take all your NCB off you so will still have some left.

PS. Insurance companies are there to make money, enough said!

Insults and advice eh ???

1) You run into the back of another car..... you are too close, if you cannot stop in time you are too close, I'm sure there aren't many on here who will disagree with this advice..

2) You moan because the poor chap who's brand new car YOU have hit wants to go through insurance.... why ? thats what its there for, most of the replies to your OP advise this is the best route...

3) YOU insult Chris Knott for offering an opinion and advice, why ? your insurance will sort out this situation for you, if the guy wants to claim for allsorts leave it to the insurance to deal with...

4) What Anger have you to vent ? learn from your mistake and move on...

5) What kind of foul mouthed individual posts things like in #33 ?

6) Also you seem to enjoy putting silly comments on other posts relating to how a 'Women' shouldn't be allowed to drive a car ?? For your information My other half drives the RS3 safely and responsibly, so keep your wise cracks to yourself.

Reactions: peaky83, DAYTONA 500 and pluves1
1) You run into the back of another car..... you are too close, if you cannot stop in time you are too close, I'm sure there aren't many on here who will disagree with this advice..

Doesn't mean I was tailgating.

2) You moan because the poor chap who's brand new car YOU have hit wants to go through insurance.... why ? thats what its there for, most of the replies to your OP advise this is the best route...

That was not my preferred route, I suppose you'd be happy paying £350, loosing 5 years no claims and having your car down as cat c/d.

3) YOU insult Chris Knott for offering an opinion and advice, why ? your insurance will sort out this situation for you, if the guy wants to claim for allsorts leave it to the insurance to deal with...

The story told does not reflect well on an insurance broker, I appreciated the insight (as said already if you'd pay attention).

4) What Anger have you to vent ? learn from your mistake and move on...

Your mistake was ignoring everything, insulting the op, making assumptions and refusing to provide help or even insight.

5) What kind of foul mouthed individual posts things like in #33 ?

Me, when the op asks multiple times for advice rather than opinion do not continue being a "foul mouthed individual".

6) Also you seem to enjoy putting silly comments on other posts relating to how a 'Women' shouldn't be allowed to drive a car ?? For your information My other half drives the RS3 safely and responsibly, so keep your wise cracks to yourself.

Seems you do not understand humour, we're free to comment (within reason) as we like. Your comments are as helpful as death in the family so expect the same.

Usually ignore stupid comments like this but as this is my thread stating multiple times I'm looking for advice not opinion and you choose to keep up a rant as though you were there to witness the incident and it's in some way an inconvenience to you rather than me I can't let this idiocy slip.

Kthxdie.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.