Ordering an S3 - can't decide on colour, please help

naughts4187

Reaction score
Ok so I've specced up my ideal S3 3 door hatch and I've been sitting on the fence with colour for about 2 weeks now.
I've had a range of colours in the past, from Lava grey, to Carbon black (BMW) to Misano red A4, now a Palace Blue TT and I want a dark colour (not black). I'm a bit of a detailing geek so I don't mind maintaining a dark coloured paint.

I went to York audi on Saturday (pretty awesome new building actually) and had my heart set on Merlin Purple, until I saw Dark Red Mica in the showroom. Now I'm torn:

Merlin:

Dark Red Mica

I would have gone for Mugello blue as it's my all time fave Audi colour, however if it's going to be a £2k option then I'd rather have something truly unique, too many blue cars around IMHO.

Here's my full spec:

S-Tronic

Interior
Material: Fine Nappa leather with S3 embossing on the front seats Seats: Lunar silver
Dashboard: Black
Carpet: Black
Headliner: Black

PXA Adaptive headlights with Xenon Plus headlights
9VS Bang & Olufsen sound system
8T2 Cruise control
6XE Door mirrors – electrically adjustable, folding and heated
7P1 Electrically adjustable lumbar support
7HE Extended mono.pur interior finish
UH2 Hold assist
5MY Inlays, 3D design 'black'
QQ4 Interior lighting package
PU8 Light and rain sensor package
3FB Panoramic glass sunroof
VW1 Privacy glass
7X1 Rear parking system
WB4 Technology package with Mobile telephone preparation - High with Audi Connect

Any feedback welcome, if I've missed anything crucial.

Reactions: The Challinor
Ooooooohh, they are both lovely. Think I prefer the purple

Reactions: Woody86
Personally, both a bit dark for me.

I've already got the wife's black/red MINI JCW to keep clean so another dark car may send me over the edge:keule:

+1 for Merlin. I saw one of the m6 a few weeks ago and nursed a semi till the next junction where it turned off.

Reactions: dragon and naughts4187
Dark red Mica for me. Whilst the purple is a lovely colour on bright days or under bright lights, when it's dull outside, it just doesn't seem to "shine" IMO.

Dark red Mica for me. Whilst the purple is a lovely colour on bright days or under bright lights, when it's dull outside, it just doesn't seem to "shine" IMO.

Yes I've noticed this, have you seen Merlin in person? That RS6 on instagram looks insane in sunlight, but very dull in cloudy weather.

Ok so I've specced up my ideal S3 3 door hatch and I've been sitting on the fence with colour for about 2 weeks now.
I've had a range of colours in the past, from Lava grey, to Carbon black (BMW) to Misano red A4, now a Palace Blue TT and I want a dark colour (not black). I'm a bit of a detailing geek so I don't mind maintaining a dark coloured paint.

I went to York audi on Saturday (pretty awesome new building actually) and had my heart set on Merlin Purple, until I saw Dark Red Mica in the showroom. Now I'm torn:

Merlin:

Dark Red Mica

I would have gone for Mugello blue as it's my all time fave Audi colour, however if it's going to be a £2k option then I'd rather have something truly unique, too many blue cars around IMHO.

Here's my full spec:

S-Tronic

Interior
Material: Fine Nappa leather with S3 embossing on the front seats Seats: Lunar silver
Dashboard: Black
Carpet: Black
Headliner: Black

PXA Adaptive headlights with Xenon Plus headlights
9VS Bang & Olufsen sound system
8T2 Cruise control
6XE Door mirrors – electrically adjustable, folding and heated
7P1 Electrically adjustable lumbar support
7HE Extended mono.pur interior finish
UH2 Hold assist
5MY Inlays, 3D design 'black'
QQ4 Interior lighting package
PU8 Light and rain sensor package
3FB Panoramic glass sunroof
VW1 Privacy glass
7X1 Rear parking system
WB4 Technology package with Mobile telephone preparation - High with Audi Connect

Any feedback welcome, if I've missed anything crucial.
Both are beautiful but I would go for the purple.

Dark red mica - that's stunning!

I had Merlin Purple on a 1999 A4 1.8T Quattro Sport saloon a few (ok quite a few) years back. It was nice, but I got bored of it relatively quickly, I would rather have had a crystal black (like Panther Black really) ..

It's bad enough choosing a colour from the standard/£500 options, without opening up the full Audi colour palette :rolleyes:

My advice, get the one you like, and don't get swayed by anyone else's opinion.

I think S3's look best either stealth (all black) or with a brighter colour, I'd have gone Riviera Blue or Imola Yellow (black pack) if I was going exclusive. But if you follow my advice above, I'd just ignore that opinion lol :)

Reactions: S3 AEX, Bristle Hound and naughts4187
Hopefully you and everyone else will find out next week, its sitting in Grimsby at the moment :)
ohhhh super sneaky.
I had Merlin Purple on a 1999 A4 1.8T Quattro Sport saloon a few (ok quite a few) years back. It was nice, but I got bored of it relatively quickly, I would rather have had a crystal black (like Panther Black really) ..

It's bad enough choosing a colour from the standard/£500 options, without opening up the full Audi colour palette :rolleyes:

My advice, get the one you like, and don't get swayed by anyone else's opinion.

I think S3's look best either stealth (all black) or with a brighter colour, I'd have gone Riviera Blue or Imola Yellow (black pack) if I was going exclusive. But if you follow my advice above, I'd just ignore that opinion lol :)

Yes something mental would be ideal however I have to park it on street to need it to be batman at night and blend in easily. Already had one car broken into about 4 years ago so unfortunately the brighter colours aren't an option for me.

ohhhh super sneaky.

which exclusive colour do you have? Seen in your footer...

It's not that big a secret!

Pink-Q7-Southampton-Large.jpg

Love the dark red mica, a nice change from the Sepangs................ great spec too

I'd go for Sepang Blue, hardly any about...

Reactions: mcnallys and The Challinor
Pinks quite nice, would stand out much better than that old blue colour.:yahoo:

Reactions: veeeight
I'd go for Sepang Blue, hardly any about...

:lmfao: haha I hope that was tongue in cheek. I have a feeling Sepang is going to turn into a sprint blue, will be everywhere now it's a £550 option.

While they're both lovely colours, I think as they're just different shades of exisiting audi "standard" colours I personally wouldn't pay for the exclusive.
From these pictures merlin looks just like a slightly lighter shade of panther which I really do like and the red mica is a draker version of shiraz red.
i would go for Panther personally.

Kingfisher Blue? Nimbus Grey? Vegas Yellow? or just Misano Red?

I always associate Kingfisher Blue with.........

100-13.jpg

Reactions: Louay
With the black pack and black roof rails it looked the absolute nuts - alas, I wasn't prepared to wait 9 months for an exclusive paint equipped car, Im currently looking at getting mine within 2 months of ordering having gone with Mythos black.

The mica for me.

Totally agree about the York showroom. The inside is actually on Google streetview with a full 360 incide the main showroom

ouch indeed! but at least we'll be semi unique BH :)

I must admit I do love both those colours, but the added cost (and more importantly an even longer wait time) just dont do it for me. Besides, no turning back now... Team Misano!

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Merlin here, from those pictures it looks a tad nicer.

ouch indeed! but at least we'll be semi unique BH :)

Very true Addict :thumbs up:

We will certainly stand out in a sea of blue ... ;):D

[QUOTE="Addict, post: 2283553, member: 92931"Team Misano![/QUOTE]

Like it! :anbet::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ok so I was all set on Merlin this afternoon, put my deposit down after agreeing a cracking price with the dealer.... and then I spotted this.... Black Cherry Pearl. I'm SOLD. Like how dark it is in low light, and that deep colour in the sun :kissmyrings:. Going to confirm tomorrow first thing. Thanks for everyone's opinions, I truly changed my mind about 20 times today.

Perhaps there should be an exclusive thread so we can keep a library of colours, it's proved so hard having to Google every night and there being no official colour book from Audi.

driverSide2.jpg

Lulu3.jpg

Audi+TT+RS+In+Black+Cherry+Pearl+Eff+Facebook+Timeline+Cover.jpg

Awesome! Don't forget to show us pics when you get it. :kissmyrings:

Reactions: naughts4187
There is a colour book just not all that comprehensive,

Fortitude had a half decent log of the exclusive colours on there website along with a few other sites.

Often thought of developing a site to showcase all the colours in one place, I am very sad though lol

205e94f6495b82762500241ea182df21.jpg
6bc6468514b4b64b371f7f2f8b2d82af.jpg