Ordered an RS3

RSRS3

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Been wanting an RS3 for a few years now, been in and out of fast hatchbacks like the Focus RS etc and none of them have hit the spot.

Last week I finally decided enough was enough and I ordered my RS3. I test drove the car and liked it, it was very fast and did sound OK. However, I thought it would sound better. I do usually modify my cars but with the RS3 I was hoping I would put an end to that instead of chasing figures and NOISE, which I thought the RS3 ticked all the boxes for already.

Is there a quick fix to make the FL louder? I have ordered the sports exhaust.

Thanks

Reactions: AudiNutta
Unplug the exhaust valves Easy to do will enhance the sound

There's plenty of posts and threads on tis forum to amuse yourself regarding the FL exhaust !
Have fun.
Personally I'm quite happy with the noise of my FL with a sports ex and the valves standard, noting that mine now has 1500miles on it and it is louder, does bang on up shifts, and I get the a few pops - more so than when brand new.

Reactions: zaka7 and AudiNutta
Hello everyone,

Been wanting an RS3 for a few years now, been in and out of fast hatchbacks like the Focus RS etc and none of them have hit the spot.

Last week I finally decided enough was enough and I ordered my RS3. I test drove the car and liked it, it was very fast and did sound OK. However, I thought it would sound better. I do usually modify my cars but with the RS3 I was hoping I would put an end to that instead of chasing figures and NOISE, which I thought the RS3 ticked all the boxes for already.

Is there a quick fix to make the FL louder? I have ordered the sports exhaust.

Thanks
If you're after noise, go for the PFL!

Reactions: Radman, DW81 and AudiNutta
I was really close to getting a FL, tech better, bit quicker, but that noise....so disappointing.

you mean exhaust noise or brake squeal noise lol ? :)

Reactions: DW81, Radman and Terminator x
Cancel and order the PFL ;)

TX.

*don't kill me boys, only joking*

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: zaka7, DW81, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
Don’t lie TX admit it mate your speaking from the heart :tearsofjoy:

Have any of you PFL diehards driven an FL yet?
Would be interesting to hear your thoughts on performance and handling.
Think I know what you'll say about the noise !!

Yep that’s why I bought a PFL mate :tearsofjoy:.

Only kidding but if anyone is in the Essex area and what’s to have ago in my PFL for ago in there FL more than happy to oblige then give you my feedback.

I did. Marginally better on all fronts imho other than noise. The one I drove sounded "nasty" on a downshift, literally no point in spiking the revs.

@D0C drove one too.

TX.

Yes, handling definitely improved. Turn in was noticeably better. Couldn't tell any difference in performance although it was a new car with what could have been a tight engine. I would expect it should be slightly faster, logically speaking it is a bit lighter and a bit more powerful after all.

Looks wise, the front end looks a bit more modern and aggressive. Interior is exactly the same except for the VC. I personally wasn't blown away by it but can appreciate why some people would like it.

Sound...well we've been there!

I think Terminator and Aoon summed it up when they said that if you have a PFL it's probably not worth changing. However, if they announce a Plus or Performance version then I could be tempted by the saloon which has really grown on me.

Reactions: Radman and teslaboy
The FL is like wearing a condom - a diluted experience and you wish you could whip it off without being noticed but you will still get to the end-game and enjoy it overall.
:)

Reactions: Terminator x and Spaceman_RS3
The FL is like wearing a condom - a diluted experience and you wish you could whip it off without being noticed but you will still get to the end-game and enjoy it overall.
:)

What utter rubbish !

Typical PFL owner comment lol.

It might be a touch quieter but is still epic. Imho it sounds better more of the time.
Plus you'll get there quicker and have more fun.

Reactions: T-800, Jonny B and Tristan2
Oh the banter lads :tearsofjoy: rear ARB for under £200 sorts out the handling and yes your extra 10hp will get you there much faster!

TX.

Reactions: DW81, Snake Pliskin and T-800
Nothing like a bit a friendly new years PFL FL banter!

Now where's that new job application form gone......

Reactions: DW81, T-800 and Terminator x
Anti roll bar. It stiffens up the rear so the front is less prone to understeer. Tbf it works really well. You chaps with a FL won't need it though as yours handles better from the get go.

TX.

Edit - I'm driving like my Nan at the moment anyway as attended a speed awareness course yesterday :fearscream:

Reactions: Radman, Snake Pliskin and T-800
Anti roll bar. It stiffens up the rear so the front is less prone to understeer. Tbf it works really well. You chaps with a FL won't need it though as yours handles better from the get go.

TX.

Edit - I'm driving like my Nan at the moment anyway as attended a speed awareness course yesterday :fearscream:

Not done one of those yet !

Did you learn a lot ?
And did you tell the 'group' what car you drive...lol

No cars driven didn't get a mention, the irony is though I was caught in the wife's S3 rather than the RS3 :tearsofjoy: the whole thing was a tad "I told you so" although to be expected I guess. The most eye opening thing was stopping distances massively increased even if just a few mph over the legal limit eg driving at 90 means you'd still be travelling at 57mph when the car stopping from 70 is stopped! Perhaps not quite so bad for us given we have good brakes and are Driving Gods ;) slowed me down though at least for a few days.

TX.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and T-800
No cars driven didn't get a mention, the irony is though I was caught in the wife's S3 rather than the RS3 :tearsofjoy: the whole thing was a tad "I told you so" although to be expected I guess. The most eye opening thing was stopping distances massively increased even if just a few mph over the legal limit eg driving at 90 means you'd still be travelling at 57mph when the car stopping from 70 is stopped! Perhaps not quite so bad for us given we have good brakes and are Driving Gods ;) slowed me down though at least for a few days.

TX.

Yeah i can imagine it was quite interesting on specifics.

TX.

Should of given the wife's name! Or were you hard stopped ?

Should of given the wife's name! Or were you hard stopped ?
I tried, she wouldn't have it though! Also asked her Mum (doesn't drive any more but still has licence) who also said no! Camera van parked next to a speed camera but facing towards us rather than away, sneaky bar stewards ...

TX.

You gotta try.
If you don't ask you never get.

Yeah those rigs are sneaky so and so's.

Yep that’s why I bought a PFL mate :tearsofjoy:.

Only kidding but if anyone is in the Essex area and what’s to have ago in my PFL for ago in there FL more than happy to oblige then give you my feedback.
I am happy to oblige - I am in North London so a meet up in between on some good hooing roads would work!

Reactions: DW81 and Terminator x
North London.... Me too!!!

Reactions: DW81 and Terminator x
Did one of those a few years back when I had the 8P and there was another RS3 driver in attendance!
Half of it was worthwhile, half of it was really patronising. Learned maybe two things that had changed in the Highway Code since passing my test 25+ years ago.

Reactions: Terminator x

Eventually got to drive an FL a couple of weeks before Christmas. It didn't have mag ride which was interesting as I had never driven one without it. Have to say that I would opt for mag ride just so that I could dial in that little bit more comfort on those occasions where our crappy UK roads have not been re-surfaced for ages. Turn in on the twisty B road bits seemed to be sharper (similar to the PFL car with the rear H&R ARB upgrade), the gearbox also seems nice crisp quick changes up and down the box, I would imagine Audi had tinckered with the dsg software to make it slicker. I liked the virtual cockpit.
It was difficult for me to make a fair assessment of engine performance and noise as my car is MRC stage 2 with decats etc, but I did notice that the FL engine picked up revs quickly at standstill, as if parts had been lightened (flywheel, crank). Initial engine power when pulling away felt good but after 3.5K revs it felt flat to me as I am running more power and torque.
As for the noise...... well it was not that bad actually. It had the sports exhaust which sounded ok when moving slowly around the dealer car park and at lower engine speeds, but definately didn't have the full aural pleasure the PFL car provides when giving it full beans. Pops and bangs were noticably absent, although the car did have some crackles when revved hard.
My car will be two years old soon which is when I normally look at changing. Would I order a new one? I think I might seriously consider it.

Reactions: DW81, T-800, SPIKE_ and 1 other person
Nice write up mate. Is our PFL gearbox that noticeable different to the FL model with regards to the smoothness of gear changing and speed of changes?

Must say I didn't notice much difference myself. Maybe ever so slightly smoother but this could have been just because it was a new, fresh out of the box car.

Nice write up mate. Is our PFL gearbox that noticeable different to the FL model with regards to the smoothness of gear changing and speed of changes?

I’m really happy with the FL DSG vs my PFL one
The PFL box became slow to react when using the paddles from 1 > 2
It also had a terrible pause when changing down from from 3 > 2 in Dynamic mode, it felt like the box wasn’t sure what it was doing then suddenly woke up and grabbed the second gear hard as it could making the car kangaroo.

Several resets and adaptations learning at the dealer didn’t seem to improve it much either.

Audi just said it was a trait of the box in Dynamic mode being overly aggressive, oh dear somehow that explanation sucks to me

Yet the DQ381 in the Golf R FL was silky smooth in all modes and on the paddles was instant.

The FL RS3 feels similar to the R box and I’ve not had any issues thus far.

Reactions: DW81
Gearbox comments re the PFL are weird as mine has been absolute perfection the whole time. Doesn't it learn from the driver? There's your answer :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Gearbox comments re the PFL are weird as mine has been absolute perfection the whole time. Doesn't it learn from the driver? There's your answer :tearsofjoy:

TX.

So how come after several full Odis dealer resets and following the relevant adaptation drives afterwards was it still not right ?

0120raptor has still had issues with his even after we (DJAlix & myself) reset it with Odis.

Woodstock sold his car because Audi couldn’t resolve a Gearbox issue even after replacement of the mech unit.

Mine has not had a single problem and changes gear just fine. Not even noticed this jerkiness mentioned by a few or slow up / down shifts. Perhaps it is a Nardo thing and Audi keep them as the true RS car ;)

I do believe you though and yes others seem to have had issues.

TX.

Does sound more like a fault than what the PFL gearbox is like. Mine can be occasionally clunky, but that's in dynamic where I'm sure they engineer it in.

Last edited: