Order new base RS3 or new fully loaded Golf R now?

AudiBoss

Reaction score
Hi guys I was strongly considering ordering an RS3 however after adding on a few key options such as the comfort and sport pack, the car was coming out at comfortably £50k+ with little to no discount. Monthly payments on this car with zero deposit were around £800, which I thought was quite high for a DD

I looked at a new golf R with many key options such as pan roof, DCC, dynoaudio, lane assist, ACC, rear view camera as an alternative which which came to £35k with an 11% discount using drive the deal. With zero deposit the monthly payments are coming in at £520 per month. I was ready to pull the trigger on the golf r however it appears that Audi will shortly stop making Rs3’s so I was considering maybe ordering a completely base RS3 at £46k which will probably depreciate less over the next 3 years but would a completely base RS3 car be the much better buy than the almost fully optioned Golf R for DD purposes, especially with a cost difference of £12k?

Any help or advice particularly from previous Golf R owners would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan
I ran a 2015 Golf R for just over 2 years. Great car, did everything well but never really excelled at anything and wasn’t the most exciting thing to drive. For the price there is no denying they are an attractive proposition but my money would go on a base RS3 or another option a low mileage used PFL, you can get one from £35k from a main dealer. Amazing cars and will depreciate less (in my opinion).

Reactions: Terminator x and Djpfrozenp
Have you thought about a PFL RS3?
I went from a PFL S3 to PFL RS3 last week. The RS3 is on another level, especially sound wise.

I paid £35k for 16 plate (1 owner from new), Nardo, Black Pack, Red Stitched SSS, Design Pack, Cruise Control, Pano-Roof, Privacy Glass, B&O, ILP, Sports Exhaust, Mag Ride, with new pads, discs & tyres.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terminator x
Buy a prefacelift RS3.

Or, if you must have a facelift, there is a very nicely specced black one on AT for £43k. Adaptive cruise, dynamic pack, lane assist, side assist, comfort and sound, aluminium pack, pan roof, matrix headlights, red stitch super sports seats....the only thing it is missing is RS design pack imo.

You'd come to hate a base RS3 imho. I'd personally not go for a Golf R as the engine is nasty (no offence to S3 owners).

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: VAG_Club001, FBF01, zippster and 1 other person
I had a Golf R prior to my PFL RS3. Golf was a lovely car to drive and own. But the PFL RS3, while it doesn't handle quite as sweetly, is an another level with regards to noise, performance and overall ownership experience. Go for the PFL for the full surround sound noise of the 5cyl engine!

Reactions: FBF01, Terminator x and NevMan
You'd come to hate a base RS3 imho. I'd personally not go for a Golf R as the engine is nasty (no offence to S3 owners).

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Depends what a base RS3 actually is. FL’s all come with virtual cockpit and the best engine without doubt. The sports pack is immaterial if you’re planning on modifying and swapping out seats is a doable retro mod if you really want sports seats.

If you spend a grand on a stage one, I’d find it hard for anyone to hate the most frugal of spec’s when 60mph comes up in a whisker over 3 seconds.

Go for an FL RS3 and maybe try find an ex demo. I did and bought a saloon for 37k over a year ago with only 4K on the clock, it’s got a tech pack and B&O. I put 7k in and my monthlies are around £370pm. There are deals to be had, just look hard and haggle harder. Buy brand spanking new and it’ll hurt either way. I certainly wouldn’t pay over £500pm for one.

Personally I’d have a base FL RS3 over a fully spec’d Golf R all day long. Spend a few quid and have some fun making it yours over time. Sometimes I forget what mine has over a base model, but I’ve never seen a proper poverty spec one in the metal. I’d still have one over a Golf though.

Reactions: Adi7r, FBF01 and NevMan
Depends what you're looking for in your next car. I swapped my Golf R in for the A45 because so many were being purchased via the lease offers and I felt that if I kept it the trade in value would be much lower for this reason. This would still be part of my consideration. RS3s are a lot less common than the Golf R so will probably hold their value better, but on the other side may not be in such demand as the Golf R which seems to have benefitted from lots of press attention..
Oh, and the 5 pot sound easily trumps the VW unit...:yahoo:

Last edited:
If it were my money I’d be going used RS3 personally. I paid £32k for mine 6 months ago used approved with 18 months warranty left. Comfort, tech and dynamic packs, super sport seats and some other bits too. I’ve owned an RS5, S3, S4 and an S5 and my RS3 sportback is my favourite by far.

Reactions: illingworth22 and NevMan
I'm in the same boat as most of the above. I'd put my money into a used RS3, or even a used R and wait for either the new mk8 R or new shape RS3 (could be a while though!).

Golf R is a cracking car and does everything you would need it to.... but if you want something more the RS3 is awesome.

Base spec RS3 ain't that bad I reckon, if it was that vs an R. I'd say look for a used FL see if you can get some options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: FBF01 and NevMan
I think the real question is do you want a Golf R, or rather hold out for the new A45?

Hi guys I was strongly considering ordering an RS3 however after adding on a few key options such as the comfort and sport pack, the car was coming out at comfortably £50k+ with little to no discount. Monthly payments on this car with zero deposit were around £800, which I thought was quite high for a DD

I looked at a new golf R with many key options such as pan roof, DCC, dynoaudio, lane assist, ACC, rear view camera as an alternative which which came to £35k with an 11% discount using drive the deal. With zero deposit the monthly payments are coming in at £520 per month. I was ready to pull the trigger on the golf r however it appears that Audi will shortly stop making Rs3’s so I was considering maybe ordering a completely base RS3 at £46k which will probably depreciate less over the next 3 years but would a completely base RS3 car be the much better buy than the almost fully optioned Golf R for DD purposes, especially with a cost difference of £12k?

Any help or advice particularly from previous Golf R owners would be greatly appreciated!

zero deposit.....mad

Buy a prefacelift RS3.

Or, if you must have a facelift, there is a very nicely specced black one on AT for £43k. Adaptive cruise, dynamic pack, lane assist, side assist, comfort and sound, aluminium pack, pan roof, matrix headlights, red stitch super sports seats....the only thing it is missing is RS design pack imo.

id do this than buy the golf r. The golf is a decent car, slightly better handling than the s3 with a worse interior. My wife had my 2014 s3 when I bought the rs3 saloon. The rs3 is miles better, sound, handling, mid range. The s3 is good but sounds terrible compared to the rs3.

Depends on whether you are buying with your head or your heart. I've had both (and S3 and Leon Cupra) and the Golf is a better all rounder, daily driver but the engine does sound nasty (interestingly worse than in the S3 and Cupra). But for occasion, drama, all that stuff, has to be RS3.

It’s a tough call....I like my spec and technology.

The golf r engine sounds terrible, there’s no fixing it. I had one for 2 years and it just didn’t feel an occasion to drive - lacking any soul at all.

But I’d also not go for a facelift With bog standard spec. They’ve also dropped the RS design pack off the spec sheet off new orders and it’s a big shame, the RS design pack really set apart the interiors from cars without it.

If it was my choice, I’d be finding a facelift with the right spec from 2017/18, or better get saving 8-10k and finding a prefacelift, that leaves a big chunk of change for tasty mods! Tte 500 kit and it’s the same power as a stage 2 facelift, with the bonus of a better sounding engine.

As above, a PFL Stage 1 with Sports Exhaust and decat would be an absolute weapon.

I could be tempted to part for £50k... But then what do I get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk