Options on 2015/2016 RS3’s...

Paul 1979

Reaction score
Hi, I’m gonna be looking at buying an RS3 in the next few months and there’s a few things I can’t get a definitive answer on, I’m not 100% sure what features come with each optional pack, I’m gonna be looking at 2015/2016 models, pre facelift to keep the cost around the 30k area.

I def want sports seats, dark interior/headling and black grille/badges/window trim etc.
Do any of the 8V pre facelift models come with keyless entry/push button start? And if so is that part of a pack or is it a stand alone option?

Also what do you get with the interior lighting pack?
Do any of the RS3’s have ambient lighting in the door panels or dashboard?
I’m guessing they all have puddle lights and footwell lighting?

Sorry for all the questions, any info greatly appreciated

Cheers Paul

Keyless/push start came with the ‘Advanced Key’ option, looking on the Audi used site now don’t think it was part of any option packs.

On the FL it was part of comfort and sound I think.

Have a good nose on the Audi used site as it lists all the options stuff has so you can see, and it’s usually mostly right ;)

You want to be getting a car with the following:

RS design pack
Technology pack high
Dynamic pack

Black pack or aluminium pack if you’re getting a black car (the only colour aluminium works with imo...)

Comfort and sound pack
Super sports seats with red stitching
Folding mirrors (not standard sadly...)
Hold assist
High beam assist
Roof rails
Pan roof
Reverse camera
Audi side assist
Red brake callipers...
advanced key

I also retrofit aluminium carbon design inlays onto the door cards from the facelift cars, this adds ambient lighting to the doors front and rear.

Make sure you have dynamic pack it’s a must

Reactions: Drewsus and Terminator x
All you need is the sports exaust (dynamic pack)

Reactions: Terminator x
Make sure you have dynamic pack it’s a must

Sorry I disagree unless you are moving up from a 1.2 Corsa with a 12inch diameter exhaust.
Also when buying used ‘sporty’ options mean the car is more likely to have been Rogered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I disagree unless you are moving up from a 1.2 Corsa with a 12inch diameter exhaust.
Also when buying used ‘sporty’ options mean the car is more likely to have been Rogered.

Absolute bobbins.
The sports exhaust was a must for me when I bought my 65 reg rs3 in Jan 18.
I love the sound of it, the performance, but I have never thrashed the car.
Most people spending that much on a car will be determined to look after it.

It’s an RS3, they are all have going to have been ragged at some point in their life ;)

There’s no right or wrong set of options, it’s what you like/want.

For me I’m not a fan of the design pack, don’t like the red stitching and accents on vents.

Also on a Daytona grey I think the Alu pack looks good.

Hold assist, high beam assist, reversing camera, side assist I can do without.

For me my must haves were dynamic pack (yeah it’s a bit noisy but it’s quiet when not in dynamic, although that cold start is brutal). Day to day driving though it’s fine, it doesn’t pop and bang all the time only when you make it, unless everyone here drives permanently in dynamic with their foot on the floor?

SS seats , even though they aren’t any more supportive they just look better, and for a car like this I didn’t want them looking the same/similar as in a bog standard A3.

Tech pack, this was the tricky one as it wasn’t that common, purely to have the bigger screen as the standard one just looked pathetic and dated.

Comfort and sound, really for the stereo upgrade.

Then it was a case of whatever else the right car had, pan roof was a nice to have but not must have (luckily car I found had this).

In the end found one where someone had ticked a lot of options when they bought it so turned out ok :)

Reactions: Paul 1979
Absolute bobbins.
The sports exhaust was a must for me when I bought my 65 reg rs3 in Jan 18.
I love the sound of it, the performance, but I have never thrashed the car.
Most people spending that much on a car will be determined to look after it.

The Sports exhaust makes no difference to performance whatsoever. The standard exhaust on my 16 plate, owned for 2 years was far nicer for long distance cruises, no droning but can be made noisier if that floats your boat. Fake noise is totally pointless IMHO. Have sport exhaust on new 69 plate B9RS4 and it’s barely different from the standard one on 18 plate. Had it not been standard fit I wouldn’t have bothered. Just my 2p

No droning here on a PFL with dynamic pack, with long journeys (and most of my driving) in individual with exhaust set to comfort.

Keyless/push start came with the ‘Advanced Key’ option, looking on the Audi used site now don’t think it was part of any option packs.

On the FL it was part of comfort and sound I think.

Have a good nose on the Audi used site as it lists all the options stuff has so you can see, and it’s usually mostly right ;)

Thanks, So the advanced key was def an option on the pre facelift 8V?

You want to be getting a car with the following:

RS design pack
Technology pack high
Dynamic pack

Black pack or aluminium pack if you’re getting a black car (the only colour aluminium works with imo...)

Comfort and sound pack
Super sports seats with red stitching
Folding mirrors (not standard sadly...)
Hold assist
High beam assist
Roof rails
Pan roof
Reverse camera
Audi side assist
Red brake callipers...
advanced key

I also retrofit aluminium carbon design inlays onto the door cards from the facelift cars, this adds ambient lighting to the doors front and rear.

Def want the black pack as I hate the look of the alloy trim especially around the windows.

Not worried about hold assist, high beam assist, roof rails or a pan roof (but the pan roof would be a bonus)
Are all those items you listed in the RS design, tech and dynamic packs?

I know I don’t have a car yet but I like the sound of the door card inlays and lighting, do you have any pics of standard and then your retrofit conversion?
And it was only the facelift 8V’s that had that?

Cheers Paul

It’s an RS3, they are all have going to have been ragged at some point in their life ;)

There’s no right or wrong set of options, it’s what you like/want.

For me I’m not a fan of the design pack, don’t like the red stitching and accents on vents.

Also on a Daytona grey I think the Alu pack looks good.

Hold assist, high beam assist, reversing camera, side assist I can do without.

For me my must haves were dynamic pack (yeah it’s a bit noisy but it’s quiet when not in dynamic, although that cold start is brutal). Day to day driving though it’s fine, it doesn’t pop and bang all the time only when you make it, unless everyone here drives permanently in dynamic with their foot on the floor?

SS seats , even though they aren’t any more supportive they just look better, and for a car like this I didn’t want them looking the same/similar as in a bog standard A3.

Tech pack, this was the tricky one as it wasn’t that common, purely to have the bigger screen as the standard one just looked pathetic and dated.

Comfort and sound, really for the stereo upgrade.

Then it was a case of whatever else the right car had, pan roof was a nice to have but not must have (luckily car I found had this).

In the end found one where someone had ticked a lot of options when they bought it so turned out ok :)

Exactly that mate, I don’t mind if it’s not the exact spec I’d like as long as it has the musts that I posted in the first message.

I don’t mind the red vents or what colour the stitching is in the

And the tech pack is just a bigger centre/dash media screen?

Cheers Paul

Thanks for all the posts people, it’s all good informative knowledge so thanks again

Cheers Paul

Dynamic on the pfl is sports exhaust and mag ride.

Advanced key definitely an option as I have it on mine :)

Tech pack is bigger screen, built in hard drive you can copy music and video (in right format) to, and the controller wheel is also touch sensitive so you can ‘draw’ on it for things like entering postcodes for sat nav rather than scrolling around.

Compared to current systems even though a PFL will only be 3 or so years old even with the tech pack it does feel a little dated already, can tell it was at the tail end of a life for that system before moving to the FL setup (which is t hugely better imho although if it has car play that’s a big bonus).

As said above have a poke about on the Audi approved used site as it lists the options each car has, just look for all the options you’re interested in on cars listed there and it’ll say what all the various packs come with.

The Sports exhaust makes no difference to performance whatsoever. The standard exhaust on my 16 plate, owned for 2 years was far nicer for long distance cruises, no droning but can be made noisier if that floats your boat. Fake noise is totally pointless IMHO. Have sport exhaust on new 69 plate B9RS4 and it’s barely different from the standard one on 18 plate. Had it not been standard fit I wouldn’t have bothered. Just my 2p

The sports exhaust isn't "fake" noise, different exhaust giving a different / better sound! Absolutely loved my dynamic pack RS3, best sound going this side of a V10 imho.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DW81
Also other reason for wanting it was resale, a lot of people will only look at cars with it so it helps there.

The sports exhaust isn't "fake" noise, different exhaust giving a different / better sound! Absolutely loved my dynamic pack RS3, best sound going this side of a V10 imho.

TX.

Check it out. It is essentially the same exhaust with a different flap set up. FLRS3 and RS5 and RS4 have fake sound.

Check it out. It is essentially the same exhaust with a different flap set up. FLRS3 and RS5 and RS4 have fake sound.
2015/16 car as here is a PFL though so absolutely no "fake" sound.

TX.

The exhaust is virtually identical to standard PFL exhaust.
No idea. The PFL one though does have an additional bypass pipe that lets the sound miss the baffles etc. Much louder than standard one, fact. We all know you prefer the non loud ones RGB ;)

TX.

No idea. The PFL one though does have an additional bypass pipe that lets the sound miss the baffles etc. Much louder than standard one, fact. We all know you prefer the non loud ones RGB ;)

TX.

I like a bit of LOUD sometimes TX but couldn’t live with it all the time. Starting a PFL with noisy exhaust in my garage at 6am is hardly sociable!

Reactions: Terminator x
I think it's all down to the individual really .. when I was looking for an RS3 all I wanted was the dynamic pack for the mag ride and the (must have :D) sports exhaust and the comfort and sound pack (like a decent stereo, auto lights/wipers etc.).

I wasn't really bothered about anything else, apart from the general condition of the car.

I like to drive my car not add every option possible as it's a car, not a mobile laptop. Also (for what I use my car for) have no need (and don't like) anything like adaptive cruise, high beam assist, side assist etc.

Also don't like pan roofs - heavy, creaky and prefer the look of the car without it.

I think people get too caught up in wanting fully loaded cars, 1/2 the stuff never gets used, more to break or go wrong and worth very little at resale (ok - maybe makes it more attractive to the used buyer if there are a few cars to choose from).

Just my 2p.

Reactions: Drewsus, Paul 1979 and Terminator x

TX.

Is that only with the dynamic pack (louder exhaust) or as per the standard exhaust?

Cheers Paul

Sorry if it’s a dumb question but this Audi used car website is that just used cars Audi dealers has for sale??
Or is it a site for specs on the older cars?
I had a look but couldn’t find any info....

Cheers Paul

It’s just looking at used cars on the Audi website.

Pick an RS3 and in the details it’ll have any options that particular car has.

Have a nose around and you’ll see all the various options on the various cars, and that’ll tell you more about the packs etc.

For instance this one has a couple of packs on it, click on them to see more info on what they contain

https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar...hp-all-wheel-drive-black-1_GBR00067846586.htm

Is that only with the dynamic pack (louder exhaust) or as per the standard exhaust?

Cheers Paul
Just the sports exhaust, standard exhaust didn't have it.

TX.

Have a nose around and you’ll see all the various options on the various cars, and that’ll tell you more about the packs etc.

For instance this one has a couple of packs on it, click on them to see more info on what they contain

https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar...hp-all-wheel-drive-black-1_GBR00067846586.htm

Nice one thank you

Cheers Paul

After coming from BMWs, these RS3's hold there value well!

6794F283 BC85 4058 830A 5E146A68B1EC
Is this interior finish with the trimmed centre console panels part of the ‘rs design pack’?

Had a look on that used Audi site, very helpful in describing the options and packs, also see what people mean by every car being different, finding the spec car I would want could be tricky....

Cheers Paul

Yup the red stitching, red vents and the alcantara knee pads are part of the RS design pack.

Another quick question, do all rs3’s have lighting in the front cup holders and if you have the b&o stereo lighting around the speaker grilles?

IMHO there is no point in buying a rs3 with standard exhaust it’s one of the main features of this model if not the main for me. Having the benefit of turning the exhaust off through driver settings then it’s an absolute no brainier.

Reactions: Paul 1979 and Terminator x
Another quick question, do all rs3’s have lighting in the front cup holders and if you have the b&o stereo lighting around the speaker grilles?

My PFL as the led lights around front B&O speaker grills and cup holders. I think this part of the comfort package

You can also have the rear B&O Led lighting too........:whistle2:

Bo

Reactions: D0C, DW81 and Paul 1979
Reactions: DW81 and Rob2k68
It took me a year to find a PFL in the spec I want, as certain options were must-haves for me:

Dynamic Package

This comes with the sport exhaust and the magnetic ride. In my opinion there’s no point having an RS3 without the sport exhaust. The sound is what this car is all about and it’s what makes me smile every time I drive the car. To me the difference is huge between standard and sport. The magnetic ride is also much better than I thought I’d be. Dynamic and comfort suspension settings are like two different cars. With the Wife and baby in the car, in comfort mode it’s just like driving a standard A3. Relatively quiet, smooth and a comfortable ride. Switch to dynamic and the car turns into a monster.

Panoramic Sunroof

The first thing I do when I turn the car on is open the sunroof. Even when it’s raining it’s opened at an angle, rain doesn’t get in but you get to hear that perfect exhaust sound. It also makes the car look much better in combination with the black pack (of course this is subjective).

Comfort and Sound Package

Cones with Cruise control, the B&O sound system, interior lighting package and the auto dimming mirror. If you like music, the sound system is a good upgrade over the standard system. Cruise control useful for long motorway drives with average speed checks.

Super Sport Seats with red stitching.

This one’s subjective, but I think the super sport seats transform the interior. They make it look that bit more special, the standard seats remind me of my wife’s old A3. Mine are heated and have electric lumbar support. Can’t remember if they were optional or not but are nice to haves.

Advanced Key

Although it makes the car easier to steal, the advanced key makes it so much more convenient. Car key doesn’t need to leave my pocket. Touch the handle and the door unlocks, press the start/stop button and engine starts.

Black styling package, black alloys and black roof rails, Red brake callipers

Along with the colour of the car, these are completely subjective but important to get a car you like the look of!

Options that I wasn’t looking for but ended up with anyway:

Reversing Camera - very useful
Hill hold assist - great, once at a stand still can take foot off brakes and stay in place
Automatic rain sensors and automatic lights - nice to have

Didn’t get the Tech pack but wasn’t too bothered about that, gives a bigger screen but I’m more interested in driving than having a nice screen.