Optional Extras & Insurance

Snake Pliskin

Supporter
Reaction score
One thing the new A3 / S3 is not short of is an extensive options list.

I have noticed that most people are ticking at least 2 or 3 options and some are selecting anything up to a dozen +

With things like paint, usually you don't get asked about that on your insurance form, but how are people treating items such as ....

LED lights
Pano Roofs
Privacy glass
Cruise control
B & O
Super Sports Seats
Black package
Alloy upgrades
Roof bars
Parking sensors
Light packages

etc etc

All of these things differ from the standard base spec and 'could' affect insurance policies or any potential claims.

Has everyone informed their insurance company of the optional extras they have selected or just gone with the model of car and not mentioned the extras ?

We didn't bother with the extras as previously the insurance company confused it with mods which shoots up the insurance! Plus we found from previous experience that you can usually negotiate insurance settlement figures thanks to Audi stealers (and other traders listed in auto trader) used car prices regardless of spec.

Not sure if all insurance companies do this but our insurance asked for none factory fitted extras but of course it was all factory order so options not quoted. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Yeah good points and factory fitted options are certainly not modifications.

Last edited:
My insurance company only asked for modifications that weren't factory fitted / options. Probably worth checking with each company as they may have different policies on it.

Reactions: cemerson
I am current insured with LV and their policy covers everything fitted to the car by the manufacturer including any factory fitted audio equipment. It also cover "accessories" which it describes as "parts or products (including spare parts) specifically designed to be
fitted to your car. This includes roof/cycle racks and roof boxes"

It also says "If your car and/or its accessories (including when kept in your garage) are damaged by accident, vandalism or malicious damage" which I read as they will cover things like roof boxes even if they are stolen from your garage and are not currently fitted to the car.

Goods points again Guys - so a lot could also come down to who you are insured with also then ... but on the whole sounds like a sensible approach and most 'factory options' are covered and may only be any after market modifications which have to be declared.

Had problem with a previous insurer - can not remember who but they required details of all extras fitted even if at factory - also included tow bar.
Found this -
Modifications
A vehicle has been modified or adapted if it has been changed from the manufacturer’s standard specification in any way.

For example:-
•Changes to bodywork, such as spoilers or body kits
•Changes to the suspension or brakes
•Cosmetic changes such as alloy wheels or paint
•Changes to the engine or exhaust system
•Changes to the audio or entertainment system

If your car has been modified or adapted in any way, answer ‘Yes’

Suggest if not notified they could find a way out should one have to make a claim

When I've asked about it, I've had a similar response to others - if it came from the factory, it's fine. Don't need to declare. I had a towbar fitted to my last car after I had had it a few months, but it was done with the manufacturer part by a dealer, so was treated the same. It was a dealer fit option anyway if you ordered it with the car so was done identically!

I'm currently looking at dash cams, I wonder if they would have to be declared (since I would want to wire them into the car)? Or if they would even lower your premium?

I suppose the factory fitted options are taken into account simply because they increase the value of the car and that itself affects the premium.

Modifications are not factory optional extras!

I was particularly interested in things like the LED lights which will no doubt cost a bomb to replace.

I know each xenon unit is approx £1,000 sourced direct from Audi (£2,000 a pair) so guessing an LED unit will be at least £1.5k, mabe even £2k.

So to replace these through insurance would cost a lot more than the base factory spec, so you would have thought the insurance companies would increase the premium to compensate for these higher value items.

Looks like some insurance companies do and some don't.

Always better to be safe than sorry. Unless your car is rolling off the production line without ANY optional extras it is considered to be modified from manufacturers standard spec as Andy203 said earlier.

Once you have specified 1 change, even if it's just a paint cost option, then you need to tell the insurance company.

So basically, anything you pay extra for to be fitted to your car at build time must be declared to your insurer as your car is not standard anymore.

Always better to be safe than sorry. Unless your car is rolling off the production line without ANY optional extras it is considered to be modified from manufacturers standard spec as Andy203 said earlier.

Once you have specified 1 change, even if it's just a paint cost option, then you need to tell the insurance company.

So basically, anything you pay extra for to be fitted to your car at build time must be declared to your insurer as your car is not standard anymore.

By all means write to your insurance company and give them the full specification of your car including any optional extras, but certainly my insurer is quite happy providing they are all manufacturer fitted options. Writing or emailing them does stop there being any dispute about the spec of the car when it was supplied.

Agreed. Insurers are not all the same but you are only covering yourself against them trying to wriggle out of paying out.

I declared all mine to my insurer (Admiral).

My policy schedule states:
"Modifications (Including anything which changes the maker's standard specification or alters its performance, including cosmetic changes such as alloy wheels, body kits, or any non-standard parts. If in doubt, please call Admiral Customer Services Department)."

Spent some time talking them through the list, and had to describe what some of them were!

The resulting list of of modifications for my optional extras is on the schedule as:
"Windows - Rear Darkened > 30%, Parking Sensors, Respray (different colour), Exterior decorative changes, Interior changes."

Premium went up less than £30 for the 4 months remaining on the policy. I think most of the increase was the admin fee for changing the vehicle details.

This is from Esure.com - there are several other insurance Co. with the same wording

General conditions which apply to Sections 1 to 7
If you breach any of these conditions, we may treat your policy as invalid and/or may reject or refuse a claim.
1. Your duty and revealing information
It is a condition of your policy that:
• you observe all the terms and conditions of your policy
• the information you gave us in your Schedule is true and complete as far as you know
• you furnish us with any information, such as copies of driving licences, evidence of a no claim discount,
valid MOT and/or a V5 vehicle registration document that we may ask to see.
You must also tell us immediately if any of the following happens:
• you change your car
• if the main user of the car changes from the person listed in the Schedule
• you make any modifications, alterations or changes to the manufacturer's standard specification for your
car, including optional extras fitted to the car when new by the vehicle manufacturer or dealer which
improves its value, performance, appearance or attractiveness to thieves
. This includes, but is not
restricted to, changes to the engine, engine management or exhaust system, changes to the bodywork,
such as spoilers or body kits or changes to the windows, such as tinting

Suggest checking your insurance Co. wording........

So from what I can tell from marshalld and andy203's lists, I should really tell my insurer that I have privacy glass? I see nothing else that needs declaring.

So from what I can tell from marshalld and andy203's lists, I should really tell my insurer that I have privacy glass? I see nothing else that needs declaring.
What about your B&O and all the other option extras added at factory, suggest checking your insurance Co. Wording....

Better to be safe than sorry.

I insisted on the insurer recording our extras. For those with Gap insurance you may want to check your policies as ours states factory fitted options need to be declared to the insurer.

Cal.

Has anyone here, who has made a claim for their windscreen damage, ever been refused because they've not declared it isn't the standard one but the acoustic version with the sun band? It is part of an option after all. Do I declare cruise, sat nav, the net storage, the partial leather seats. I think not as far as I am concerned that if the insurers ask the question 'has it been modified in any way other than what comes from the factory' then no. You give them the registration number thus they have access to the exact details of the car...

Last edited:
you make any modifications, alterations or changes to the manufacturer's standard specification for your
car, including optional extras fitted to the car when new by the vehicle manufacturer or dealer which
improves its value, performance, appearance or attractiveness to thieves.

i also insure my car with the same company and when I changed it over from my previous car I was asked the reg and " if any changes had been made to the car since I purchased it to which I answered no, which is true.

I tried to tell my insurer as that way I know they know everything. I also stated these were factory fit options. Stupidly I did this by phone.

Got my policy document and they stated rally lights (when I said adaptive Xenons) and lots of other things like that. Made my car sound like it had had a makeover from Halfords. If you are going to declare it, do it in writing.

Dashcams do not need to be declared. If you do and they decide to reduce your premium then they expect it to be on the car and functioning 100% of the time.

John.