Optional bucket seats on S3

newbiecrg

windsurfer
Reaction score
I specced the optional bucketc seats in my S3, car is at the dealership, just waiting for reg plates (wich will take longer as it's a left hand drive) Torture! Torture!

Has anyone specced them? Can you tell me your experience with them (I will soon find out but just trying to gather information...)

Anyway, not expecting them to be comfy, S3 is not a car bought with confort in mind, for that we have SE trim wich would be better in that department...

Thanks
Pedro

Sorry but of course the S3 is bought with comfort in mind. If all you wanted was performance and didn't care about comfort there are far better ways of spending £30k and far cheaper ways of achieving the same performance.

The whole point of the S3 has always been to combine comfort and luxury with performance, not sacrifice the former for the latter.

Well off course I could have bought a Caterham or a Lotus... When I say that S3 is not intended for confort is when compared within the A3 line up!! And from all the A3 available the S3 is not the most confort one and is for sure the most performant....

Pedro

I think it might be helpful to define comfort in your view, as it is very different for each of us.

I much prefer firm suspension setup than soft, and really don't like being in MPV's as with the extra height and soft suspension as a passenger I soon feel sick.

My current S3 has firm suspension, superb seats and only when running over uneven surfaces at high speed is uncomfortable.

However, new S3 also has firm suspension but a vastly improved chassis and dampers which did not exhibit the uncomfortable ride at high speeds, and of course like you I also will be getting bucket seats.

I certainly would never say that any Audi I have driven in the last 10 years was uncomfortable though…

Drove the with the optional Recaros in a MkV R32 for 3 hours straight: they felt very comfortable.

The only drawback is that they don't tilt as far as normal seats so access to the back is less satisfying.

Also, there have been reports of poor build quality and early seam seperation (look up MkV R32 forum on www.tyresmoke.net )

If I were to order an S3, I would definitely be willing to cough up the extra dough.

I was in the dealership today and they had an RS4 so I checked out the seats. I asked if the S3 ones were the same and he said they didn't come with lumbar or bolster adjustment! Not for me thanks in that case.

Sorry, but who buys a car from new and specs sports seats without trying them out first? Is it just me who thinks that's daft?

Well it is not daft because I am to see an S3 with those sport seats specced!!

In terms of shape they are similar to S4 and I knew they weren't adjustable as well... so no news here.

They will be good for sure I only would like to compare them with normal S3 seats in long journeys... hence the query about confort. It seems no one as specced them so it makes my S3 even more special... ;)

Pedro

I think they're nice and all but not worth 1400 quid without all the adjustability. You can't even add lumbar support to them like you can with the standards.

I really want to try them out but out ofthe 3 dealerships I've been to none of the s3s they have are specced with them!

Thanks FreddieS3! That was what I was looking for...

Are they confy as well in long journeys?

Pedro

newbiecrg said:
Thanks FreddieS3! That was what I was looking for...

Are they confy as well in long journeys?

Pedro

I think so Yes, and all of my friends who have tried them and joined on longer journeys says they are the best seats the ever tried.

Have the buckets as well, they are excellent on long journeys. If I specced a new S3 tomorrow, I wouldn't hesitate in opting for the buckets again. Great seats to sit in and they look brilliant as well.

Noticed you are from Inverness, got mine from Highland Audi as well!

I think they look great and really differentiate the S3 from the other A3's. Lets hope they are better quality than the A3/4 leathers which look appauling in no time at all!

Can't say they go with the centre armrest though and in 4 yrs ownership with my 8L S3, ive never used it once anyway!

Don't you loose the side airbags with them too?

If so with that in mind and the lack of adjustability Audi are taking the p*ss with the price, also RS4 owners have had loads of problems with the sides of the seat creasing and cracking only after a few months of sitting in them.

So I'm happy they are good ones... For me, for a car like the S3, is a must have...

I don't think they are Recaros, and they are different from the RS4s in the sense they have no adjestability or electric adjustment...

Pedro

AL_B said:
Hey Steve,

Just noticed from your sig, we have the same confirmed build week!

AL

Would be very wierd if we have our VIN numbers only one decimal place apart?

I wonder who gets the newer car? Wanna place a small wager on the VIN number being the newest? LOL :)

Can't wait, I got confirmation of the build on Sat 10th Mar, although I have mixed fellings as I do so like my current 8L S3 and will sadly miss it when it goes, so am taking lots of opportunity to wash it before it is gone for good... :icon_thumright: sniff... :bye:

stevec said:
Would be very wierd if we have our VIN numbers only one decimal place apart?

I wonder who gets the newer car? Wanna place a small wager on the VIN number being the newest? LOL :)

Can't wait, I got confirmation of the build on Sat 10th Mar, although I have mixed fellings as I do so like my current 8L S3 and will sadly miss it when it goes, so am taking lots of opportunity to wash it before it is gone for good... :icon_thumright: sniff... :bye:

Steve it would be wierd! If I remember correctly, didn't you order yours a few days before me? If its first come first serve you may well be in front.

My dealer sends me weekly updates, a print out of the confirmation screen, still confirmed as week 12.

I'm trying to minimise usage of my 8L S3, just to keep the mileage down a little. Would be nice to have one last blast on some country roads though, take some pictures etc. I need to get organised. Although I don't want to anything to go wrong either, so trying to be mechanically sympathetic at the moment.

But only last night (whilst driving round Warrington looking for new houses, lots of roundabouts), it was amazing how good the car still feels. I like the steering and its weight, grip on the Goodyear F1's, and performance is still good - I will miss it. I'm just hoping the new one lives up to its parent. It will be a sad day when my 8L S3 goes.

AL