Opinions wanted - Colours for wheels and brakes

DJ_26

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wanted your opinion on my planned refurbishment of my wheels and brakes. Bit of a long thread opener, but hey this one is a bit more interactive J

20140313 164956

20140313 165117

These centre caps are completely worn, so will be changing them even though I like the design.

So I’m thinking of getting my wheels done in the standard silver as they do seem to be the best colour for these Ronal RS6-style wheels. I like the OEM look (my car is pretty stock externally), but I want a little bit of flair in there too. As the car is Akoya Silver (slight hint of lavender/violet or whatever you want to call it), I think a few subtle purple elements will look nice. Originally I was thinking about some nice Cadbury’s purple wheels, but now I think it may be a bit too much. So I’ve included some example photos for you all to have a look at and share your ideas.

When the wheels were in better condition and after a detail a few years ago:

20140601 173823

Some other examples:

1) Silver - Looks Good
Wheels   silver 2

2) Grey/Bluey colour - This is interesting

Wheels   grey 4

Wheels   grey 3

3) Dark grey - Not bad, but I prefer silver as the spokes (and the design of this wheel) are lost with darker colours I reckon.

Wheels   grey 8

So there are two parts to this refurbishment:

A) The Wheels and their accessories

B) The Brake callipers, hubs and disc backplates

My idea (well I’ve had a couple and I am open to suggestions):

A) Wheels - Bright OEM silver.

Audi Centre caps – Paint these in Ford Purple velvet but keeping the chrome audi rings.

Wheel bolt caps – Ford Purple velvet. Tyre valves – Can be decided later but I already have some purple ones on the way J

B) Now this is difficult.

(1)Calipers - Black/Purple

Hubs - Black/Purple

Backplates – Black/Purple

Wheels   purple calipers

Wheels   purple calipers 2

(2 ) Calipers – Silver

Hubs – Silver

Backplates – Silver (This actually makes the miniscule brakes look bigger)

Something along the lines of this. Though the silver on the backplate may be difficult to replicate.
Wheels   brake backplate silver open

Wheels   brake backplate silver

Decent set-up here.

Wheels   brake backplate black

I won't be going for a red backplate, reminds me of red brake drums from many years ago!

Wheels   brake backplate

Wheels   red calipers

Wheels   red calipers 3

I think red does go well with the red of the S-Line logos and that. But everyone does it more than let’s say, purple!

Let me know what you think guys and congrats if you've managed to reach the bottom of this post :)

Last edited:
Mixing colours is always tricky, and the amount of each needs to be spot on.

I'd say go black with everything behind the wheel - calipers, hubs, etc. As you say, they're not huge so it's probably easier to hide them. The wheels themselves would look good in hyper silver, so it's a very shiny bright silver, that'll make them pop. Then you could go for the purple centre caps to add a touch of colour and keep the bolt covers black or dark grey for contrast, but remaining 'monochrome' so the centre caps show up nicer :)

Reactions: DJ_26
Mixing colours is always tricky, and the amount of each needs to be spot on.

I'd say go black with everything behind the wheel - calipers, hubs, etc. As you say, they're not huge so it's probably easier to hide them. The wheels themselves would look good in hyper silver, so it's a very shiny bright silver, that'll make them pop. Then you could go for the purple centre caps to add a touch of colour and keep the bolt covers black or dark grey for contrast, but remaining 'monochrome' so the centre caps show up nicer :)

Cheers mookster, thanks for your input. Yeah the black brake parts will provide a clean OEM look. I agree with hyper silver, it will make it pop nicely. Prior to receiving your opinion, I went straight to painting the centre caps and some new wheel bolt covers in purple :)

The purple is a little dark, so it's not so shouty at all, just a nice gloss imo.

20160605 213511

20160605 213459

20160605 182251

Please share your ideas too!

Right, so the wheels have been refurbished. They've been done in Brilliant Silver, so they are pretty OEM. Will get them on the car once I've waxed them. The centre caps are done, I'm not going to polish these as I worry I will make them look worse! They will probably take a beating anyway once they are exposed to the elements.

The brakes still need to be done. I might go for a matt black on the calipers, hubs (well the discs) and the disc backplates. Then put a subtle sticker on them or something.

IMG 20160623 WA0017

IMG 20160623 WA0029

20160618 161829

Good choice of wheel colour.
Red is a big no no for the calipers unless you are 17?
I have silver hubs and Black calipers which is oem looking but clean.