Opinions please

Audi Bairn

Staff member
Reaction score
Apologies in advance as this isn't a specific A3/S3 issue but I reckoned you lot are the most helpful bunch I know :yes:

Wife had to take the dog to a emergency vets surgery this morning.
It's located in an industrial estate (across the road from our Audi Dealer coincidentally).
Vet carpark was full.
Parked on industrial estate road, which admittedly had traffic cones (not police ones).
There are no permanent parking restrictions (neither signs nor yellow lines of any sort).
Wife parked between cones to run into vets.
Got back to car to find a cone placed against front and rear of her TT and a sticker on the window from the adjacent truck company saying cones are there for a reason as their lorries can't swing into their gate and there's a good chance cars will get damaged.

My view is:
1) It's a public road, they have no legal right to cone off the whole (or any of the) road.
2) It's not a council or police restriction therefore illegal / not enforceable.
3) Either way it does not negate their liabilities should they hit a parked car. (eg. I told you I was going to damage your property therefore I gave no liability aye right!).
4) They should not be laying a finger on our car.

I've contacted the police and council to check where I stand.
Then I'll be contacting (or visiting) the company to advise that they are in the wrong and I'll be reporting them for criminal damage (slight exaggeration I know) for applying the sticker which may not be easy to remove by the way.

Grrrrrrrrrr! :gun2:

Reactions: Jcbmally and AudiNutta
I'm with you mate !

Reactions: Jcbmally, AudiNutta, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Notes left under the wipers would be "reasonable" however much in the wrong they are for coning off part of the road. Stickers are just a pee extraction!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: AudiNutta and Audi Bairn
Personally speaking I'd ignore it & get on with my life (aftering hooning the two cones into their yard). More importantly how is the pup doing?.

Reactions: AudiNutta, Audi Bairn, 96cr and 4 others
Fair play mate, as Emma says a note under the wipers explaining it may have been better.

Or maybe they should look to relocate or alter their yard if the lorries can't swing in without needing the entire road.

Reactions: AudiNutta, Audi Bairn and dave_beastttt
I can sort of see their point of view as there's an industrial estate near me with the local post office parcel collection sorting office located on it also & people abandon cars absolutely anywhere, so I can imagine just how frustrating it must be after a long day on the road at 55 mph.

Unfortunately we all need to get along & share the limited road space we do have. I think you've done the right thing in raising it to the council / police etc as if their lorries can't get around the road the same will be true of fire engines / ambulances etc, so some sort of permanent restriction maybe in order.

I agree about stickers rather than a polite note is a bit excessive but it must be an ongoing thing if they've gone to the effort / expense of printing up stickers.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
A mate of mine was driving a large truck in a town centre a few years back, someone had parked in such a position on a bend so that he was unable to get around the corner, he couldn't reverse as there was a massive line of traffic behind him. The Police soon turned up, they bounced the car out of the way so that he could get past!

Reactions: richinsoton
Personally speaking I'd ignore it & get on with my life (aftering hooning the two cones into their yard). More importantly how is the pup doing?.

Fair point, just ****** annoying when it's not their road to dictate over AND I've got a thing about folk laying their hands on our cars uninvited. Wee dug doing well thanks mate, but still a bit groggy. Just discovered he has only one kidney poor wee fella.

7d933c9010348d135734818a9f3762e8.jpg
994d79cb630d821c2a0e88fddf39d95d.jpg
f035b7ff686eeaea3c059799c147c12c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally, Neil C, richinsoton and 2 others
A mate of mine was driving a large truck in a town centre a few years back, someone had parked in such a position on a bend so that he was unable to get around the corner, he couldn't reverse as there was a massive line of traffic behind him. The Police soon turned up, they bounced the car out of the way so that he could get past!

I have sympathy when they're hindered by illegally parked cars.
But in our case they've claimed rights to a public road, obviously occupy unsuitable premises as well as "vandalise" someone's legally parked car,

Reactions: richinsoton
I have sympathy when they're hindered by illegally parked cars.
But in our case they've claimed rights to a public road, obviously occupy unsuitable premises as well as "vandalise" someone's legally parked car,
I know what you're saying mate and I'm not taking their side. But at times people can park legally without knowing that they may cause an obstruction for a large vehicle. In cases such as my mates I'd say it was down to the local council for not forward planning and marking the space where the car had parked double lines.

If the local authority consider it necessary they would put double yellow lines down which would then be enforceable. Obviously the local authority don't deem it necessary. You could try the police with criminal damage if you cant get the sticker off.

Other than that relax and breathe.................

Reactions: Audi Bairn and batch
Fair point, just ****** annoying when it's not their road to dictate over AND I've got a thing about folk laying their hands on our cars uninvited. Wee dug doing well thanks mate, but still a bit groggy. Just discovered he has only one kidney poor wee fella.

7d933c9010348d135734818a9f3762e8.jpg
994d79cb630d821c2a0e88fddf39d95d.jpg
f035b7ff686eeaea3c059799c147c12c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What a lovely wee dog.
Gather some of the pooches turds and place them on the offending truck owners car with a note "how do you like it ?"

To be fair mate sounds reasonable, if a bit narky to put the cones so close either end, and I'd have thought a printed note rather than a sticker would be a nicer way to do it. If the parking hasn't been restricted by local authority then they don't have a leg to stand on "enforcing" it, but at the same time I doubt you'd have much luck going to the Police, would come down to a Civil Dispute between you and the haulage firm, as it's not in the public interest to pursue a criminal damage charge for the cost of cleaning a sticker off a window.

Also, he's a very handsome boy and I hope he gets well soon and can recover from his condition!

What a lovely wee dog.
Gather some of the pooches turds and place them on the offending truck owners car with a note "how do you like it ?"

Cheers @Jcbmally he's a right wee character.
He's just a pet but his dad was a Crufts best in breed a few years ago.
I'd not thought about the dog poo method, but I really like your thinking :salute:

Reactions: Jcbmally and batch
Also, he's a very handsome boy and I hope he gets well soon and can recover from his condition!
Thanks mate. It's all treatable thankfully, just a bit of a shock he's an organ short of the full compliment. Wondering if he sneaked away to Eastern Europe to sell one last time he was at the in-laws while we were on hols :blink:

Reactions: richinsoton, Jcbmally and batch
Thanks mate. It's all treatable thankfully, just a bit of a shock he's an organ short of the full compliment. Wondering if he sneaked away to Eastern Europe to sell one last time he was at the in-laws while we were on hols :blink:
Probably worth at least the price of REVO Stage 2! :laughing:

Reactions: Jcbmally and Audi Bairn