Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Just black grill

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters

The Engineer

Reaction score
After looking around the forum i kinda like the look of the
Black edition.
Thought it could be a cheap and cheerful D.I.Y job.

Don't really want to commit fully to spraying the chrome on the front
so decided vinyl could be the answer as it reversible.

So found this: BLACK MATT VINYL SHEET 1000MM X 610MM SELF ADHESIVE | eBay UK

As it says in the description it can easily be removed with a heat gun or hair dryer.

I am aware it will have to got on it strips showing overlap or joins but shouldn't be that noticeable unless close up.

For the rings i think i will buy another badge and spray that so i can change at any time. :think:

For the rings: AUDI A4 A6 A3 S4 S3 S6 FRONT CHROME GRILLE RINGS NEW | eBay UK

So, i did some mock up's in Photoshop to get an idea what it would look like :readit:

Still very undecided on whether to do it, all opinions valid!!!

Original
orig.jpg

Black rings and surround
allblack.jpg

Just black surround
justgrill.jpg

The Engineer

1st of all how the hell did you do that to the picture haha and second the all black finish look nice

I've gone with the last one, think it looks best with the badge shiny... Although I'd say that both look better.

1st of all how the hell did you do that to the picture haha and second the all black finish look nice

Do what to the pic?
The focus or black rings etc?

Think i will do it, although as the car is all black dont want to loose the stand out feature...

Dilemma!!!! :unsure:

liking the back surround

id go all black and then on with lamin-x 'tint' on the lights

I'm going for all black on mine too mate, I'm quite sure you can buy Black rings which would save you from having to spray them after!
That's a pretty nice PS job you done there lol!

I'm going for all black on mine too mate, I'm quite sure you can buy Black rings which would save you from having to spray them after!
That's a pretty nice PS job you done there lol!

Are the rings easy to remove, only found the originals in chrome on ebay,
don't want to brag or boast but bit of a whiz on Photoshop... :superman:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/119698-black-wheels-black-roof.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/118331-brake-colours.html#post1237566

id go all black and then on with lamin-x 'tint' on the lights

That's just going get me pulled over by the police every 3 minutes!!! :busted_cop:

It would look good though...

haha may get you pulled, but there is nothing they can say as its all 100% road legal :) means you can do a sarcastic wave as they have to let you go haha!

You should go for the same as I'm doing to mine, black grille and rings. Probably best to buy a set of black grille rings in ABS plastic, not sprayed as spraying the originals will mean that they could potentially pick up quite a few chips to the paint. Will look cool! :)

Paulie x

haha may get you pulled, but there is nothing they can say as its all 100% road legal :) means you can do a sarcastic wave as they have to let you go haha!

Hahaha, Classic! :lmfao:

So i take it the Lamin-X doesn't restrict the amount of light that gets through?

You should go for the same as I'm doing to mine, black grille and rings. Probably best to buy a set of black grille rings in ABS plastic, not sprayed as spraying the originals will mean that they could potentially pick up quite a few chips to the paint. Will look cool! :)

Paulie x

Any idea on where I can source these from? :search:

I understand when you say spraying standard ones, would look awful if the paint starts to chip.

Hahaha, Classic! :lmfao:

So i take it the Lamin-X doesn't restrict the amount of light that gets through?.

depends what tint you go for, 'tint' is pretty light. so if it does then it will be marginal, but the darkness will help tie the front end together. you can also get 'gun smoke' which is what Ash is running on his and is very very dark, looks amazing but will prob reduce the output a fair bit, but everyone that has lamin-x, as far as i know hasnt had any issues come MOT time so there still must be a decent amount going through

depends what tint you go for, 'tint' is pretty light. so if it does then it will be marginal, but the darkness will help tie the front end together. you can also get 'gun smoke' which is what Ash is running on his and is very very dark, looks amazing but will prob reduce the output a fair bit, but everyone that has lamin-x, as far as i know hasnt had any issues come MOT time so there still must be a decent amount going through

Thanks for the info jungleman, much appreciated.

will consider getting some, will make the car look menacing :aggressive:

Are the rings easy to remove, only found the originals in chrome on ebay,
don't want to brag or boast but bit of a whiz on Photoshop... :superman:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/119698-black-wheels-black-roof.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/118331-brake-colours.html#post1237566

Well if that's the case then would you mind maybe dropping by here for me please? :D
I would love to see the front end with black instead of chrome as well as red if you could :)

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/119433-help-needed-please.html

Also quick search on eBay, US seller though, not sure where to source in the UK

Audi Ring Grille Badge Emblem Matte Black A3 A4 A6 S4 | eBay UK

black grill and chrome rings, black rings wont work as well on a black car too much black need a little bright colour to brake it up a bit

I bought some of that vinyl last week to do a couple of grilles but it's not the best quality, it looks orange peely. I tried some on a BMW kidney grille but it didn't turn out too good. I've got loads left so I'll probably have a few more goes as I've got a couple of Audi grilles as well. You also won't need to do it in several pieces as the vinyl is big enough to cover the grille.

In terms of removing the rings I think you may need to remove the grille to do this which means removing the bumper. The rings come off the grille easy but taking the grille out the bumper is another story. I started off trying to pry the clips out with a flat headed screwdriver and ended up with my special precision tool (hammer). Took 30 minutes to whip the bumper off and about 2 hours to get the flaming grille out so I could swap for one of the black FK jobbies. If your wrapping the grille you could do it on the car, which is what i'm attempting to do. No way am I trying to get that thing out again.

Black grill and silver rings get my vote

The rings just prise off but be carefull not to break any clips, but be warned the first set of chrome grill rings you showed dont fit my S3.

I ordered some as my car has a black grill and badge and i wanted silver badge. But it only has 8 clips on (at the top and bottom of the rings) where as mine has 10.

So does anyone know where i can get a badge from with 10 clips apart from audi or the price from audi ?

My rings are painted and as paula said they pick up stone chips