Opinions of a 16,000 mile 2009 Audi S3 FASH

sportquattro

Reaction score
Hi Folks, the search for an S3 continues, currently considering a very low mileage one owner car, Its got 16,000 miles, all the toys and has been serviced by Audi main dealers every 12 months religiously and had the Haldex and S-tronic oil changes done along with the Cambelt and water-pump . MOT history backs up the mileage

On the face of it, it looks and sounds a good car, price however is £16,990 which is on the high side for a 2009 S3, but I accept the very low mileage and great history are worth paying a premium for. I'll probably be doing circa 20,000 per year myself if I buy it and keep the car 3-5 years. They've offered £6,000 part-exchange on my 2005 S4 with 114,000 miles and FSH which I think is a fair part ex figure.

I would welcome forum member opinions of the merits of buying a very low mileage car, that by definition will have had short journeys predominantly, which is not great, but does the low miles and history outweigh this. All views opinions and suggestions would be very well received

Many thanks in advance to all responders

Nige

The history suggests a much cared-for and unadulterated car. For this age and slightly cheaper price I wouldn't want a performance car like this (or a BMW M car) with 80k on the clock, lowered to within an inch of its life, remapped and likely to have been thrashed over that 80k. As you say - worth paying a premium for something in "as new" condition.

Low mileage cars have not always just had short journeys.
My S3 from 2007 has less miles on the clock than the car you are looking at. However, it never goes out for a trip less than 20 miles and so gets fully warmed up. More important is that the car has not been thrashed from cold or is on annual service rather than long life service.

Reactions: MarkWizard
Low mileage cars have not always just had short journeys.
My S3 from 2007 has less miles on the clock than the car you are looking at. However, it never goes out for a trip less than 20 miles and so gets fully warmed up. More important is that the car has not been thrashed from cold or is on annual service rather than long life service.

ooooooooooh is yours gonna be up for sale soon? ;)

ooooooooooh is yours gonna be up for sale soon? ;)

Haha, a good question but no as I am still enjoying improving it with the current quest for the best intercooler for the car.

Hi Folks, the search for an S3 continues, currently considering a very low mileage one owner car, Its got 16,000 miles, all the toys and has been serviced by Audi main dealers every 12 months religiously and had the Haldex and S-tronic oil changes done along with the Cambelt and water-pump . MOT history backs up the mileage

On the face of it, it looks and sounds a good car, price however is £16,990 which is on the high side for a 2009 S3, but I accept the very low mileage and great history are worth paying a premium for. I'll probably be doing circa 20,000 per year myself if I buy it and keep the car 3-5 years. They've offered £6,000 part-exchange on my 2005 S4 with 114,000 miles and FSH which I think is a fair part ex figure.

I would welcome forum member opinions of the merits of buying a very low mileage car, that by definition will have had short journeys predominantly, which is not great, but does the low miles and history outweigh this. All views opinions and suggestions would be very well received

Many thanks in advance to all responders

Nige
Do you happen to know the reg? Sounds a lot like mine which I recently px'd

Yeah I'm 99% sure it is. I had it from new with a private plate (which I've kept) but saw it few days later at garage after trading in and that looks like the plate that had been put on. In the 8 years I had it, it never missed a beat. Can honestly say it hasn't had a hard life, probably used 3-4 days a week, had more short journeys than long but I always started it and left to idle for 5-10 mins on the drive before setting off. Been serviced by the book at Huddersfield Audi except this year as I knew I was getting rid. Body work has odd scuff and scrape from car parks and so on, but most likely will have been sorted out so look out for quality of the job. Some **** broke in and stole head unit earlier this year, but I sorted that out through insurance and got it replaced like for like. And that's pretty much it. Obviously it's down to you whether its worth what been asked, but the car itself is spot on.

Carl.

Yeah I'm 99% sure it is. I had it from new with a private plate (which I've kept) but saw it few days later at garage after trading in and that looks like the plate that had been put on. In the 8 years I had it, it never missed a beat. Can honestly say it hasn't had a hard life, probably used 3-4 days a week, had more short journeys than long but I always started it and left to idle for 5-10 mins on the drive before setting off. Been serviced by the book at Huddersfield Audi except this year as I knew I was getting rid. Body work has odd scuff and scrape from car parks and so on, but most likely will have been sorted out so look out for quality of the job. Some **** broke in and stole head unit earlier this year, but I sorted that out through insurance and got it replaced like for like. And that's pretty much it. Obviously it's down to you whether its worth what been asked, but the car itself is spot on.

Carl.
Hi Carl, the previous plates the car had were MA05EGX and X40RDR hopefully it was your old car, it was serviced at Huddersfield Audi every 12 months and had the MOT done at same time. Very grateful for all your input above and glad there's no horror stories lol. Picking the car up on the 2nd all being well, it's a 4.5 hour drive from Devon so going to be a long day. Any other information or stories most welcome, do you know if the receipts for the services etc are with the car, or do you still have them?

Hi Nige, yep the x40 plate is mine, not sure why the ma05 shows up with it though, that was a red a3 s-line I had prior to getting the s3. No horror stories to worry about with it, not much story wise with it at all, been a great car without any fault ever. Only let it go because I wanted something bigger. I gave all paper work I had with the car when I traded it in at VW Huddersfield about 6-8 weeks ago, but I believe they sold it on somewhere else. With all work having always been done at Audi they should be able to provide you with any copies if needed. I received a letter about a week after the car had gone regarding Safety Recall: 45f5 - ECS control unit. Don't know much about it or how necessary it is, I'm sure they'll be more info on here regarding it, but I'd enquire about whether it's been sorted yet or not. Only things I can tell you to look out for was a scuff around the n/s/r wheel arch that someone left me with in car park, a light scratch on the tailgate to the left of the Audi rings, and it had a slight modification fitted under the steering column to the brake pedal for when you haven't got full force in your leg for heavy braking, it extends the brake pedal closer to the steering wheel so you can brake with your hand instead. Having just seen the photos of it on auto trader I can see it's been removed, but it's nothing to worry about and wont affect the car at all. It's only a simple thing that will have only taken 10 mins to remove. There's nothing much else I can add, if you've any other questions, feel free to ask.

Hi Nige, yep the x40 plate is mine, not sure why the ma05 shows up with it though, that was a red a3 s-line I had prior to getting the s3. No horror stories to worry about with it, not much story wise with it at all, been a great car without any fault ever. Only let it go because I wanted something bigger. I gave all paper work I had with the car when I traded it in at VW Huddersfield about 6-8 weeks ago, but I believe they sold it on somewhere else. With all work having always been done at Audi they should be able to provide you with any copies if needed. I received a letter about a week after the car had gone regarding Safety Recall: 45f5 - ECS control unit. Don't know much about it or how necessary it is, I'm sure they'll be more info on here regarding it, but I'd enquire about whether it's been sorted yet or not. Only things I can tell you to look out for was a scuff around the n/s/r wheel arch that someone left me with in car park, a light scratch on the tailgate to the left of the Audi rings, and it had a slight modification fitted under the steering column to the brake pedal for when you haven't got full force in your leg for heavy braking, it extends the brake pedal closer to the steering wheel so you can brake with your hand instead. Having just seen the photos of it on auto trader I can see it's been removed, but it's nothing to worry about and wont affect the car at all. It's only a simple thing that will have only taken 10 mins to remove. There's nothing much else I can add, if you've any other questions, feel free to ask.

Carl you are an absolute star, thank you so much for the heads up, the car is at a dealers called Rix Motor Company in Warrington, I guess too old for a main dealer to have in stock, the lower cowling is currently on back order with Audi as when the dealership removed the brake pedal modification they apparently damaged the cowling. I will let you know how things go when I take delivery of the car on the 2nd.

Thanks again it is greatly appreciated

Nige

Not a problem Nige, had many friends and family buy cars and end up with no end of problems. Wish you all the best and hope you enjoy it.