Opinions needed on 1.8tfsi Auto or manual

Gordon Stewart

Reaction score
Hi folks, I have been looking for an A3 Saloon 1.8tfsi S Line manual for a year and 7 months now, I am now thinking “do I just go for Auto??. I have the chance of getting a 15 reg 1.8 tfsi Quattro S Line Saloon with only 23k on it. Is it correct that the box in this is the box out of the S3 ?. Also what scares me is that if it goes wrong it would’ve expensive . Can I ask if you have an auto have you had any problems with it or do you know anyone that’s had problems with them . Also if you know anyone that is selling a Saloon then if you could please let me know

I had the 1.8 s line in auto and loved it. I never drove one in manual so can’t compare. Why not test drive one to see what you think?

I'm pretty sure this is the 4th or 5th post by OP in regards to a 1.8 manual/auto. As such the questions asked will have the same answers as before.

I did drive one but was not to sure about it, might go and drive another and see what I think again , what do you have now and have you gone auto again?, did you have any problems with it?, many thanks again, Gordon

Auto every time, as for something going wrong.. if you thought like that about everything you wouldn't buy a car, a house or anything else.

Your current car with a manual box in could go wrong or the turbo could go.. if you like the car and it's mechanically sound buy it, enjoy it and don't worry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did drive one but was not to sure about it, might go and drive another and see what I think again , what do you have now and have you gone auto again?, did you have any problems with it?, many thanks again, Gordon
Il always stick with auto now, I had it for 2 years with no problems (approved used car). I have a c250 auto at the moment until the new a3 comes out. This will also be an auto

I'm pretty sure this is the 4th or 5th post by OP in regards to a 1.8 manual/auto. As such the questions asked will have the same answers as before.
What I am saying is that I might have to give up on manual and go Auto now, just wanted to know what you guys think of the Auto and any problems (if any ) you have had . I know when you google it that you always just get negative things and problems but just wanted your guys views , thanks

Hi folks, I have been looking for an A3 Saloon 1.8tfsi S Line manual for a year and 7 months now, I am now thinking “do I just go for Auto??. I have the chance of getting a 15 reg 1.8 tfsi Quattro S Line Saloon with only 23k on it. Is it correct that the box in this is the box out of the S3 ?. Also what scares me is that if it goes wrong it would’ve expensive . Can I ask if you have an auto have you had any problems with it or do you know anyone that’s had problems with them . Also if you know anyone that is selling a Saloon then if you could please let me know

Southend Audi currently have a Manual 64 plate 1.8 S Line Saloon, Daytona Grey with some nice options including very rare Alcantara seats. Very low mileage for the year as well.

What I am saying is that I might have to give up on manual and go Auto now, just wanted to know what you guys think of the Auto and any problems (if any ) you have had . I know when you google it that you always just get negative things and problems but just wanted your guys views , thanks
Indeed :) I've had two autos and would definitely go auto again, very smooth and I do a fair few miles each year and couldn't be dealing with a manual, auto is a lot easier and actually still enjoyable in my humble opinion. In terms of something going wrong, of course something could but pretty rare honestly.

Reactions: RS3KEY
Southend Audi currently have a Manual 64 plate 1.8 S Line Saloon, Daytona Grey with some nice options including very rare Alcantara seats. Very low mileage for the year as well.
I did see that , they have had it for about 3 weeks, it has good low miles and Alcantara but not much else, had not even got auto lights or wipers or cruise , it does look nice , they are wanting £16450 for it but I have done a fair few valuations on it and it’s comjnv in at £12800, I know that’s low but that’s £3700 of a difference and £3700 you have lost right away when buying it

You’re paying for warranty, roadside assistance, 30 day return policy & a swanky showroom! No protection if you buy privately. Anyway, having had manual cars all of my driving life I’ve just bought an S-tronic S3 & love the auto/manual paddles choice. Best of luck with your search.

Reactions: KieranJ22
You’re paying for warranty, roadside assistance, 30 day return policy & a swanky showroom! No protection if you buy privately. Anyway, having had manual cars all of my driving life I’ve just bought an S-tronic S3 & love the auto/manual paddles choice. Best of luck with your search.
Thank you very much for your reply and answers to some of my questions , all good

Suppose it’s down to person preference! Do you like the feel of changing gears yourself or do you want to just jump in and put your foot down, do you have any other vehicle you drive that’s manual (like me I have a manual van but dsg s3) so I get the best of both worlds so to speak. Anyway as mentioned above go test drive a manual and a auto see which one you prefer is your best option?

Suppose it’s down to person preference! Do you like the feel of changing gears yourself or do you want to just jump in and put your foot down, do you have any other vehicle you drive that’s manual (like me I have a manual van but dsg s3) so I get the best of both worlds so to speak. Anyway as mentioned above go test drive a manual and a auto see which one you prefer is your best option?
, thanks for your input and will keep you updated

, thanks for your input and will keep you updated

No worries mate good luck! And just to add this is my second auto and I’ve had no problems with them what so ever, my first was a Mercedes a250 (very sluggish I felt in dropping gears) now I have the s-tronic (DSG) and it’s absolutely amazing in every way! Very responsive no sluggish gear changes all perfect smooth transactions!

I was driving mine this morning and listening to it changing up the gears, it made me smile at how quiet, smooth and easy it is :)
As for problems with an auto box, a mate of mine has an auto 5 series BMW, he's on 125,000 mile and it still works :)

@terminator x on here is selling a very low mileage saloon S3 in manual, throw a warranty on that and you would be sorted....depreciation on the S3 would be slower, so long term it would probably cost you the same as what you are looking at!

Reactions: RS3KEY