opening the bonnet

camerontarver

Reaction score
i believe my bonnet opening lever has had it when i pull the lever nothing.

the lever it self is fine and the cable is still attached i have tried pulling the cable it self with a pair of pliers

anyone else have ideas of how to get it too open

Get a can of wd40 or similar and point the spout into the bonnet where the catch is
give it a proper soaking and leave for 10 mins ,
then try your lever again .
it worked for me a couple of years ago !

Agree with '347'. After soaking with WD40, get someone to jiggle the bonnet up and down (takes the load off the mechanism) while you operate the release lever. Most likely that will fix it. Good luck.

if these are like mk5 golfs you can pop the vw badge out of the front grill and theres a little square hole you can put a screw driver in to pop the bonnet.

How did you get on with this?

I had the same problem last winter but my bonnet wouldn't shut properly (catch was stuck open). I just doused the mechanism under the bonnet and the cable with pit stop oil (free lubricant spray I got following an extortionate Audi cambelt service) and its worked fine ever since. I just give all the joints on the car a little spray every now and then to keep it smooth

Where are you spraying? The release mechanism is not where the bonnet catch goes into the lock, but further to the driver's side (mine is a LHD so mine is to the right. You need to use a fairly long tube to get the oil to it.

Get somebody to put pressure on the bonnet whilst you operate the bonnet catch. Worked for my mrs, give it a try.