Opening ROOF - how fast would you go?

zeratul

Reaction score
Hi - What speed would you say you'd be comfortable driving whilst opening or closing the roof?

(I know its restricted to something like 5mph but but i'm now able to drive upto 25mph whilst doing so!)

Its factory obviously fitted to 5mph for a reason but I'm interested in what others would be comfortable at. And what sort of damage could arise if I was silly enough to drive at 25mph, against the wind! Cheers

I probably wouldn't go above 10mph. The last think you want it to be driving aruond with a knackered half open roof when it's pouring.

I wouldnt want to be moving at all whilst opening & closing to be honest! Stick you face in the wind at 25mph and see what it does, you've got to be mad to try opening & closing the roof at that sort of speed!!

I understand what your saying... but think about this:

If you open the roof whilst stationary and the car is facing a 15mph wind (Beauford scale - moderate breeze - Raises dust and loose paper; small branches are moved). Would you think twice?!

I think you should write to Brainiac and see if they are willing to experiment, I personally think the question is pointless :asskicking: .

If Audi restrict the car to 5mph then I think, reading between the lines, they want you to stop the car :readit: to open the roof.

The B7 roof will operate at up to 20mph so I wouldn't worry. Do you seriously think Audi haven't tested for every eventuality, I've opened and closed mine while driving along no problems.

The only stupid thing is if your opening/closing and go over that speed it just stops the mechanism wherever it is in its position often turning you into a land sail...

Cupramax said:
The B7 roof will operate at up to 20mph so I wouldn't worry.

That's reasuring - I didn't know that, many thanks :)
I don't think there would be any changes between the B6 and B7 regarding the roof mechanism - its only the rear lights and front that changed.

It does operate quicker on the B7 as well, I dont think there were any physical changes to the roof frame, just quicker motors.