Only getting 20/21 MPG on my 3.0! help!

drewbee

Reaction score
hi guys, as per title, im getting really poor fuel consumption,

according to parkers, it should get 28MPG.... but im struggling!

what are other 3.0 v6 owners geting?

your info is much appriciated.

Drew

If that were me, give her a service etc new filters and the such just a genral flush out etc see from there.

Another option is MAF sensor always improves a lil with any vag engine.

Tyres inflated and even now design can help with fuel :) so if you are running budgets that could be a lil saver.

Also driving style :p but i assume your doing that one yourself to find out. Ive only driven the 3.2 as a run about when i got rid of the corsa and best i could do was 26 or so .

thx for ur reply, ive had a full service few weeks ago n im running avon tyres which are 2 months old. done a vag com scan and nothing came up.

could it be d fuel filter? as this wasn't changed at service.
driving style is normal, can't even step on it in fear of visiting d petrol station again. lol.

help!!!!!

TBH the V6 is a rubbish engine (NA) in terms of fuel consumption. Not much better than the V8 in fact.

You're never gonna be geting 28mpg other than a long m/way journey at 70mph.

20-21 isn't far off the mark I'd say...

Mileage wise I get about 23-24 mpg on my work route, which is about 12 miles of 'B' roads.
On a motorway run so long as you sit at about 70-80 mph it will give 28-29 mpg. Some people can get over 30 mpg, so they say, but I think you would have to drive with economy in mind. I have never got over 30 mpg.
Doesn't the multi-tronic make a difference to, if so I would agree with stoaksey it wouldn't sound far out.

maybe try a different maf then but see what is actually changed in your service cause the horrors i found when doing my car, original spark plugs. Ive seen smaller gaps in the grand canyon!

does it come up to temperature properly?

Ie 90c after a few miles and then stay there?

Also depends where your driving it, you havent said.

If its all around town, stop start 30mph type driving, thats all your going to manage. if your only getting 20mpg on a run down some a-roads sitting at a constant 60ish then theres something wrong with it.

End of the day, its a heavy car, with a large engine, i'm not really sure how much better you were expecting...

I agree with stoaksey, about right really, though these figures you mention are figures I'm getting for a remapped 3.0 so i'd assume a standard one (if it is) would be about 5-10% better!. I've heard good stories about fuel filters being replace, helping performance and mpg, so worth a go at the very least i'd say. Try using high octane fuel for a few fill ups too...V power should clean your engine over 1000 miles or so, you then might see a difference. Don't panic!

Drew

I had an 05 3.0 cab multi until last week which used to display about 19-21 around town and about 28-30 on the motorway.

im getting about the same figures and mines the 1.8T i dont get anywhere near what people report ! i know cabs are heavier but even trying really hard i cant get 30mpg

I dont know if this helps, but i have 2.5 tdi (180) tiptronic. A full tank only does 300 miles. I am not sure if there is a problem as i have nothing to compare it with. I am having a vag com scan this weekend.

blimmey my S6 is economical at 22/3 mpg average......you must have problem somewhere!

I must have a problem somewhere, it doesnt like starting from cold either, it doesnt fire on all cylinders for a few seconds afer it fires up? the turbo also whistle more than i think it should?

Last edited:
I am thinking maybe glow plugs or fuel pump timing? Fuel pump timing may also indicate why my fuel consuption is bad? hopefully find out on saturday!!

I've done my glow plugs, pump timing is next on the list. I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

does it come up to temperature properly?

Ie 90c after a few miles and then stay there?

Also depends where your driving it, you havent said.

If its all around town, stop start 30mph type driving, thats all your going to manage. if your only getting 20mpg on a run down some a-roads sitting at a constant 60ish then theres something wrong with it.

End of the day, its a heavy car, with a large engine, i'm not really sure how much better you were expecting...

Hi mate,

i recently had the temp sender replaced, and now it sits bang on 90degrees so cant be that.

im driving with economy in mind, no more more than 1500/2000ish rpm! it is used only around town and hardly on motorways.

sounds like no matter how i drive it, im only gona get 20mpg.

I agree with stoaksey, about right really, though these figures you mention are figures I'm getting for a remapped 3.0 so i'd assume a standard one (if it is) would be about 5-10% better!. I've heard good stories about fuel filters being replace, helping performance and mpg, so worth a go at the very least i'd say. Try using high octane fuel for a few fill ups too...V power should clean your engine over 1000 miles or so, you then might see a difference. Don't panic!

i was thinking about the fuel filter.... might get that replaced.

any ideas how much 1 costs?

anyways, im getting my mechanic to have a look at this at the weekend.

he said something about hooking it up to a computer, taking it for a drive and mesure the actual air flow or something like that and comparing it to what iit should produce - something along them lines and with that he would be able to work out what may be causing the poor fuel consumption.

I only get 22-25 MPG around town. In the morning with part A roads and Motorway I get 29 MPG. On one long journey (300 Miles, motorway and A roads) I managed to get 32 MPG.

I did turn on ECO mode on my aircon and get 2 MPG extra.

Drewbee, your fuel consumption isn't poor; it's about right for the type of driving you have described. The only time you'll see high twenties/early thirties is on a steady motorway cruise at 70mph.

drewbee
Sounds about right mate,
Its a heavy car with a fairly large engine,
mine does the same, only really use it for shorts trips during the winter to and from work etc,
Best I ever got was 430 miles on a full tank mostly motorway with cruise set at 80, normally only get around 270 to 330 on a full tank depending on the type of miles i,ve done, had the car from nearly new and its never been any better its now done 60k has a FASH and i generally use tesco 99 super unleaded.
Although I dont really drive with economy in mind:eyebrows:.

Dan

Last edited: