Facelift One side mirror not heating up

infernox

Reaction score
I noticed recently with the cold weather that my passenger side side mirror isn't heating up. It stays fogged up so you have to wipe it whereas the driver side one cleans the fog. I checked earlier today by touching the glass and the driver side one was warm but the passenger side one was cold. Anyone else had this and know how to fix it? I got folding and heated side mirrors option.

New glass required I expect. Had the same issue on a Passat a few years ago and the heating element had burnt out, probably due to being left on.
I take it you've checked the fuse?

I hate the way you turn on the heated mirrors with this car. Having to rotate the switch by up to 180 degrees is not good at all.
Cars I've owned previously have had the heated mirrors linked to the heated rear screen, which was on a timer so you couldn't forget and leave it on.

Reactions: AlS3BE and Phutters
I hate the way you turn on the heated mirrors with this car. Having to rotate the switch by up to 180 degrees is not good at all.
Cars I've owned previously have had the heated mirrors linked to the heated rear screen, which was on a timer so you couldn't forget and leave it on.
Agreed. On the allroad I had before, the mirror elements came on by themselves if the temperature was below a certain level and then cut off again after a set period.

Much better.

Mr Infernox - if your car is a facelift, isn't it still under warranty?

Reactions: Ron240
if its not in warranty still then the parts are easy to get hold of and the mirror glass is easy to change.

Years ago we bought a brand new A4 cab which didn't come with heated mirrors - I bought the heated mirror glass on line for £50 for the pair and swapped them for the factory fitted non heated ones finding that the wiring for the heating was actually clipped onto plastic pins on the non heated mirrors already and everything was still coded and up and running when temps fell below 7C. Simple job.

New glass required I expect. Had the same issue on a Passat a few years ago and the heating element had burnt out, probably due to being left on.
I take it you've checked the fuse?

No I never checked the fuse. I wanted to see if there was a quick fix because its just a minor annoyance to me. Weather has warmed up now so hasn't bothered me today.

Yeah I literally just left it on since last winter. I never need to change any of mirror settings/angles and have never had to fold the mirrors using that button, so you just forget about it.

Mr Infernox - if your car is a facelift, isn't it still under warranty?

Yeah it is, still got another 9-10 months of warranty left but going to look at another car on the weekend so probably won't bother with it.