On the verge of a crazy decision!

Nickynibbles

Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!
Reaction score
Following the car tax revelations this week its got me thinking again seriously about selling my beloved 3.0 quattro sport and getting something a little easier on the pocket. I can afford to keep the 3.0 but im just thinking would it be more prudent to spend the cash on other things. Yesterdays crazy revelations got me thinking about buying myself something small & nippy and also selling the other 1/2's mk3 Astra so she can have the sensible family car still but a better one! I've just got back from test driving a Smart Roadster and I have to say im very very very seriously considering having one!! They're a glorified road legal go-kart but actually rather comfortable, and a hell of a lot of fun to drive!! For the same sort of money and in a similar road tax bracket i'd be looking at Fiesta or Corsa sort of car which just arent as fun! Putting on the sensible hat would see me opt for a Passat diesel, most likely an estate. Would of course love an A4 but you get so much more kit for your money on the Passat.

So, do you think im crazy??!!:jump:

Yes. Thats exactly what the government is trying to acheive. My next car is still going to be a gas guzzler and **** the cost and the enviroment.

There. I said it. I'm off for a lie down now.

:no: I don't think we should still not care about the environment just because the government are putting Motor costs up, there is other ways we can help the environment.

I agree Lottie, but the enviroment is just a bandwagon the government is using as an excuse to tax us till we squeak!

We considered getting a New VW Polo Bluemotion as they are tax exempt and like 80mpg. But then, they are stupidly slow, but the thought has still crossed our mind.

They are also stupidly expensive also, so what exactly do you save? Ticking the A/C from the optional extras also takes it a band higher into the paying band, but it's still peanuts to tax. As for being slow, just get it remapped! haha, they will never know! :respekt:

The new Roadtax system has put me off buying performance cars built after 2001, but it hasn't really effected me yet, as my newest car is an X-plate 2000 Passat. The tax arrived for said car yesterday morning actually, £180 which is good for me.

It's jut like the ****** congestion charge in london. Putting it up to £25 for 4x4s on the basis that they pollute more is ridiculous.

Is it now a pollution charge not a congestion charge??? :ermm:

My basic line of thought was that i'd rather avoid the traditional "good little runabouts" and go for something a little more fun but cheap to run. The Lotus Elise fitted that category but to get down to the sub-£7k price tag im thinking about your looking at an older mk1, and they're expensive to keep on the road with all the repair bills!! The Smart is a rare & quirky little beast, was dubious when Smitch mentioned it a while back but haven driven one I really can see the appeal of them! A simple exhaust & remap job for about £600 see's about 100bhp from a 700cc turbo'd engined car weighing about 900kg inc me! It'll do 0-60 in sub 8 secs, less if you start modding more so its not slouch as a runabout! If it wasnt raining i'd be out detailing my A4 right now to get those autotrader pics!!

Nicky, the Smart Roadster sounds like a fun car to drive. Maybe something like the original Mini. It wouldn't be my cup of tea, but if its ticking all your boxes then go for it.

My VRS cost £115 Tax for the year and is Group 9...

Compared to the mk5 GTI its bliss (except in the Performance, Looks and Shiny 18"'s department)

Anybody see the article in the times today where the 5 series BMW was cheaper on a run than the Prius?

I've made the decision folks, the A4 is going up for sale! Just need some clear weather later today so i can give the car a good clean up and snap some pics. Will be sad to leave Audi ownership, but i'll be back in the future im sure! Cheers for all the thoughts here guys.

I saw that it was one of the presenters wife,nowhere near the quoted mpg.

Do VW claim 70mpg is achievable whilst full loaded, driving it around country lanes, up and down the gears?
Because that's the way they drove that car.
If VW do claim that, then VW are wrong.
If they don't claim that, then 5th Gear is wrong.
FWIW, we regularly get close to 60mpg from my wife's New Clio 1.5dci (86 bhp).
That's all country road driving, hardly ever urban, but hardly ever cruising either.
Just up and down the gears, country roads.
It's roadtax is £35 and it's insurance is group 3 (around £120 a year, full comp, protect no claims).
It's fun to drive, well built (new model, with better materials) and it's been 100% reliable in two years.
I can barely think of a cheaper car to run.:uhm:

I checked the figures.
VW claim 57mpg for urban.
88mpg for extra urban.:faint:
70ish for combined.
So Fifth Gear's 49(ish) mpg does fall well short of VW's claims.
I just remember thinking the way they were driving it wasn't exactly aimed at economy.
I got the distinct impression they were basically driving with their foot to the floor all the time, which will hammer any manufacturer's claims.

Its on VW's website!

ah so it must be true..............

wonder how many test runs they did before they got that figure????/

a bit like the clio 172`s where they tested a load and they were less BHP, apparently the best Renault tested had 172 lol

Aww, Isn't love sweet! lol :haha:

Right. I'm off to hide before Lottie gives me a kickin too.

Aww Shucks!. Your toooooo nice to me.

...I've just got back from test driving a Smart Roadster and I have to say im very very very seriously considering having one!! They're a glorified road legal go-kart but actually rather comfortable, and a hell of a lot of fun to drive!!

Hello mate, I made the same decision 6 months ago (sold my Audi for a Smart Roadster) and haven’t regretted it for a second. The car is so much fun and more responsive in comparison to my old FWD Audi and is actually better spec’d and more comfortable, also the car is an absolute fanny magnet and the response from people of all ages has been fantastic…

…infact I remember posting on here and some of the same idiots who slated me at the time are now saying go for it. http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=45258

INFACT reading back on the thread YOU were one of the people slating me for buying the Roadster

Is there room in the thing for all those extra's or do you have to tow a trailer about?! Seriously, you might as well start wearing a red nose, entertaining at childrens parties & calling yourself Bobo!!!

ahem.. anyway if you do get one and you drive in London, the Roadster Lite is a Band B car and will qualify for the 100% C Charge discount.

...My basic line of thought was that i'd rather avoid the traditional "good little runabouts" and go for something a little more fun but cheap to run. The Lotus Elise fitted that category but to get down to the sub-£7k price tag im thinking about your looking at an older mk1, and they're expensive to keep on the road with all the repair bills!!

I have also looked at the Lotus as my next car, but who dont get any of the creature comforts heated seats electric roof and is much more inpractical. If I were you I would go for the Brabus (my next car) for the extra looks and preformance.

also the car is an absolute fanny magnet

as in the people who own them or ......................

lolol joke no offense, if I lived in london I may have one but not up here I would look a fanny in one tbh