Omy193's AUDI A3 3.2 V6 DSG BIG BUILD THREAD! *PANROOF RETROFIT* *S3 FACELIFT CONVERSION*

Thanks mate

Yeah, the back is sitting a bit too low and needs to go a little higher, as I say fitted the kit Saturday evening and adjusted them roughly without any real measurement and straight off the ramp lol

Iv always been against a black front badge on audi's as I think the chrome rings are the main centre piece / focus point for the front end.
Will be getting a chrome one on before the end of the week hopefully! Just trying to figure out if the front badge is the same across all a3/a4/a5 ect..hmmm

Ah ok I thought so. How do you adjust them, I'm assuming you have to get the car up on a lift in order to make room to get at the struts?

Thats what I'm saying haha!

Give Skoda dealers a call as @maxpayne suggested and see what they charge?

Ah, are they the same across all VAG group cars? And would they stock them for older models, the 8P is pretty old now?

t8ups does a plug in resistor loom for your no. Plate bulbs. I had the same problem matching the camera led with the other side, so just bought different LEDs until i found one that matched,tried 3 before i was happy, so trial and error pal.

Ah, are they the same across all VAG group cars? And would they stock them for older models, the 8P is pretty old now?
Yeah pedals are the same, as mentioned, the aluminium pedal i fitted in A3 came from a scirocco lol

t8ups does a plug in resistor loom for your no. Plate bulbs. I had the same problem matching the camera led with the other side, so just bought different LEDs until i found one that matched,tried 3 before i was happy, so trial and error pal.
Managed to get some error free bulbs from the bay for £5
The bulb is slightly brighter than the camera LED, I think I will just cover half the reg lamp to get the light output looking equal lol

Reactions: SootySport
Finally picked up a FBMFSW from a very nice chap (if you’re reading this, cheers mate! )
Adjusted coding to get the multi function buttons all working too.

Fitted the front facing S3 dsg gearknob the same day aswell!

4744540754b9a954d3d5672ab3c6251c.jpg

49db588e8a37ff506c06bdf43f13e4a9.jpg

Interior is more or less complete
(Need to change headlight switch to facelift chrome and facelift clocks which are quite difficult to get working as fuel pump/senders need to be replaced)

Also fitted a chrome badge on the front, definitely looks a lot better now compared to a full black grill and badge

d8f7a6478dffe1a2ba68e3bf7273bcb0.jpg

911cad3a0bab6668ea0a4043f61496f8.jpg

Left to do still:

Adjust rear coilovers (sitting too low)

Fit facelift wing mirrors (being sprayed gloss black)

Replace passenger side xenon bulb (still working fine but giving an error for main beam headlight)

As always thoughts, opinions and ideas are always welcomed and appreciated!

Reactions: millsy4002
Finally picked up a FBMFSW from a very nice chap (if you’re reading this, cheers mate! )
Adjusted coding to get the multi function buttons all working too.

Fitted the front facing S3 dsg gearknob the same day aswell!

4744540754b9a954d3d5672ab3c6251c.jpg

49db588e8a37ff506c06bdf43f13e4a9.jpg

Interior is more or less complete
(Need to change headlight switch to facelift chrome and facelift clocks which are quite difficult to get working as fuel pump/senders need to be replaced)

Also fitted a chrome badge on the front, definitely looks a lot better now compared to a full black grill and badge

d8f7a6478dffe1a2ba68e3bf7273bcb0.jpg

911cad3a0bab6668ea0a4043f61496f8.jpg

Left to do still:

Adjust rear coilovers (sitting too low)

Fit facelift wing mirrors (being sprayed gloss black)

Replace passenger side xenon bulb (still working fine but giving an error for main beam headlight)

As always thoughts, opinions and ideas are always welcomed and appreciated!

Colour coding galore! Looks great man, especially now with the chromed front badge. Just a thought, but would a more gunmetal type shade look cool on the badge instead? I never realised before but it would look great with those rotors!

Reactions: Omy193
Colour coding galore! Looks great man, especially now with the chromed front badge. Just a thought, but would a more gunmetal type shade look cool on the badge instead? I never realised before but it would look great with those rotors!

Thanks man!
Yeah, Alu colour prob would look nice on the badge but its clipped and stuck in quite hard now and don’t fancy removing it as it may break lol (broke couple of tabs on old badge when removing it)
Tbh the chrome don’t look too bad!

I love this thread! Thanks for the entertainment. little details sometimes seem to make big impacts on overall appearance so...those wheel caps and bolt covers. black bolt covers are cheap and would continue with that awesome red on black theme. now for the wheel caps. my liking is red backround with black rings. there is nothing alu on the car so go all the way. my passenger light went out too. that was kinda painful to purchase. I just gonna throw this out to you. i painted my fog grills gloss black to match the grill and it looks sweet.

IMG 4872

Reactions: Dee60, Hp_S3 and Omy193
I love this thread! Thanks for the entertainment. little details sometimes seem to make big impacts on overall appearance so...those wheel caps and bolt covers. black bolt covers are cheap and would continue with that awesome red on black theme. now for the wheel caps. my liking is red backround with black rings. there is nothing alu on the car so go all the way. my passenger light went out too. that was kinda painful to purchase. I just gonna throw this out to you. i painted my fog grills gloss black to match the grill and it looks sweet.

View attachment 152125

Thanks mate!

I’ll be getting hold of wheel nut caps :icon thumright:
If i refurb the wheels to black with diamond cut edges I’ll go for the red centre caps then maybe, or even black cap with red rings?

Actually considered spraying fog grills gloss black last week when we was doing the slam bar but just kinda forgot lol!
Will do them this week for sure!

The passenger light is starting to play up quite a bit now! The LED DRL strip has started to flicker occasionally and display shows an error for “LEFT MAIN BEAM HEADLIGHT” but there isn’t a main beam in the bi xenon...its the same dipped be with a shutter so I think the bulb is on its way hmmm :shrug:

Lovely shot of your front end there! Looks quality!

Your car is like the perfect example of how they should have continued the 3.2 vr6 if they didnt stop production of them.

Silver logo definitely suits the car alot better i think. Also the steering wheel looks soooooo gooooood and the gear knob is a nice touch too.

Theres this s3 replica on ebay https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/273125135437
Its based on a 1.6 petrol (god knows why) but its exacty like yours but in blue. One thing i noticed is that it had park assist which i didnt know was available on our 8p. So i did a little research and yes it was an actual option for the facelift 8p. But there are few things required for this.
1) facelift instrument cluster
2) mk60ec1 abs pump
3) front and rear sensors along with side sensors on edge of both bumpers.

This is doable but i dont think its worth it with the costs involved. The major setback here is the abs pump as it requires brake line conversion unless you have mk70 abs pump which use same size fittings. Interestingly ive seen some retrofit kits on aliexpress for park assist for mk6 golfs and jettas which in theory should work for the a3 but ive not looked into part numbers and such. Again not worth it but its a nice to have feature.

Your car is like the perfect example of how they should have continued the 3.2 vr6 if they didnt stop production of them.

Silver logo definitely suits the car alot better i think. Also the steering wheel looks soooooo gooooood and the gear knob is a nice touch too.

Theres this s3 replica on ebay https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/273125135437
Its based on a 1.6 petrol (god knows why) but its exacty like yours but in blue. One thing i noticed is that it had park assist which i didnt know was available on our 8p. So i did a little research and yes it was an actual option for the facelift 8p. But there are few things required for this.
1) facelift instrument cluster
2) mk60ec1 abs pump
3) front and rear sensors along with side sensors on edge of both bumpers.

This is doable but i dont think its worth it with the costs involved. The major setback here is the abs pump as it requires brake line conversion unless you have mk70 abs pump which use same size fittings. Interestingly ive seen some retrofit kits on aliexpress for park assist for mk6 golfs and jettas which in theory should work for the a3 but ive not looked into part numbers and such. Again not worth it but its a nice to have feature.
Thanks man!

Yeah I’ve seen that rep, its been up for months now. I even messaged the seller complimenting it and asked why a 1.6 out of all engine sizes? He said it was for his wife and insurance ect

Very well specced out though with a lot of options and features. Looks the business too!

I’d love to buy it, rip the engine n box straight out and put a crazy engine in it!
But with the money that’ll cost to do could probably buy an RS3 :whistle2:

Thanks man!

Yeah I’ve seen that rep, its been up for months now. I even messaged the seller complimenting it and asked why a 1.6 out of all engine sizes? He said it was for his wife and insurance ect

Very well specced out though with a lot of options and features. Looks the business too!

I’d love to buy it, rip the engine n box straight out and put a crazy engine in it!
But with the money that’ll cost to do could probably buy an RS3 :whistle2:
Lol the craziest thing is they converted a 2005 a3. But tbh it does look good.
I think by changing abs pump to mk60ec1 you can also get automatic hill hold feature. I dont know if it is standard on normal dsg a3 but i read some people swapping abs pump to get this feature.

Ah right

Well we’ve owned 3 different A3 DSG’s including this one and can confirm non had the hill hold feature

What an epic build thread! Nice to meet you buddy via txt - how old skool eh lol!!! As I said, sadly my 8P S3 has gone but I may be back in one next year lol!

Ive already suggested this to you by txt, but I really think it will lift the look of the interior dash as it definitely did in my old S3.

Retrofit MK2 TT chrome air vents to the dash. Easy mod, direct fit and not too expensive and much nicer looking than even the regular chrome S3 air vents IMO :icon thumright:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/332599566029

Nice example of it done in this link:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...ything-a-bit-special-and-can-you-help.168393/

Last edited:
What an epic build thread! Nice to meet you buddy via txt - how old skool eh lol!!! As I said, sadly my 8P S3 has gone but I may be back in one next year lol!

Ive already suggested this to you by txt, but I really think it will lift the look of the interior dash as it definitely did in my old S3.

Retrofit MK2 TT chrome air vents to the dash. Easy mod, direct fit and not too expensive and much nicer looking than even the regular chrome S3 air vents IMO :icon thumright:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/332599566029

Nice example of it done in this link:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...ything-a-bit-special-and-can-you-help.168393/
Likewise mate!

Can't justify the £60 spend on the vents! I believe the Mk3 vents will also fit, may get a set of those if they come about at a decent price!

we share a liking for the two toned seats and sunroof

Attachments

• 9639-1523650982-647faa8cf7c02c60c8ecada4ab76d478.jpg
    9639-1523650982-647faa8cf7c02c60c8ecada4ab76d478.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 239
  • 9648-1523651581-b4e26640ddbf375389055e9d56229982.jpg
    9648-1523651581-b4e26640ddbf375389055e9d56229982.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 263
Reactions: RS4B5 and Omy193
Likewise mate!

Can't justify the £60 spend on the vents! I believe the Mk3 vents will also fit, may get a set of those if they come about at a decent price!
Deffo 8v vents over TT mk2. Im sure 8v vents are more expensive than the tt vents but does make the interior that much more modern than what it is.

Also kinda late but did you manage to get the speedo fuel gauge to work? And how did you get it coded. I was wondering as summers coming up and id like to have a dig at coding clusters myself if i find one for a decent price.

Deffo 8v vents over TT mk2. Im sure 8v vents are more expensive than the tt vents but does make the interior that much more modern than what it is.

Also kinda late but did you manage to get the speedo fuel gauge to work? And how did you get it coded. I was wondering as summers coming up and id like to have a dig at coding clusters myself if i find one for a decent price.
Nope
Haven’t fitted the clocks
Need to change fuel pump senders and something else to get the needle to work with facelift clocks so not quite straight forward.
When changing clocks the immobiliser needs to be reprogrammed for which you need your SKC pin. VCDS cannot get that pin and other software/tools are required so you’ll struggle with programming clocks with just vcds

Nope
Haven’t fitted the clocks
Need to change fuel pump senders and something else to get the needle to work with facelift clocks so not quite straight forward.
When changing clocks the immobiliser needs to be reprogrammed for which you need your SKC pin. VCDS cannot get that pin and other software/tools are required so you’ll struggle with programming clocks with just vcds
Yeah ive looked into this but i reckon itll be quite hard to do this without previous experience. I would probably need like a test bench for the clocks to code them out of the car as i inagine the car wont turn on with incorrectly coded clocks.

Sooo, this aside any plans for this car? Are you looking for more retrofits or are you going for more performance? Would deffo like to know whats coming next.

Hopefully i can start with dynamic lights this summer with more to follow. But until then ill be on here looking for more ideas i cant afford :playful:

Hello all
Been a long while since the last update!

Between work and having fun with another purchase (Golf GTi ED30 Stage 2 330bhp ) the A3 didn’t have much progress.

But we finally got around to getting few bits done, so back with some updates!

Changed the dual mass flywheel and gave the car an engine and DSG service. Runs and drives a lot smoother now. Seemed like previous owner had the wrong dsg fluid as it was a completely different colour and grade!

Also had the car detailed andfinally got around to fitting the facelift wing mirrors!
Heres a pic:
c614f406a1efd90af8f776a49eb2930b.jpg

Still not running a front number plate, been a good few months now

Also removed the middle silencers and had some fresh chrome exhaust tips fitted.
Sounds exactly like an R32 now!
Video below:

Also purchased some genuine roof rails at a very attractive price
Have had them sprayed gloss black but not got around to fitting them.
Thats next on the list along with another oil + filter change and fan belt as its starting to make a very faint squeak.

Thats it for now, thoughts on mirrors and exhaust welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: maxpayne
:salute: Looks amazing! Yours is still the best looking A3 I've seen. :hubbahubba:

Epic thread and fantastic workmanship, I can't help but wonder about the legitimacy of all the parts for sale on eBay and the like.

Finally got the roof rails fitted, also put on a set of TeamHeko wind deflectors, end result:

a14e45a45987b94fdf7eb1cdbf4ed030.jpg

309d063623b6e5f25254a7e8d2c735f6.jpg

Decided that its time to let the car go so will be putting it up for sale in the next week or 2.
Its too juicy to use as a daily and can’t afford to keep it parked up either. Also fancy something else as theres not much more to be done to this apart from a turbo conversion which I don’t fancy funding as it will get real expensive lol.

For now heres some more pics:

7e7f5df9ff4363fc59f2ff5b3cc52b15.jpg

e205b03a9b5d283d6b17a51312d52e1a.jpg

8aadea48e1d73c829da0b628820919ee.jpg

035d7cf827ef2df905cde93e5d979e9c.jpg

d1862e62055c7582dfbf9c3cf7891ee0.jpg

51933cc6503ae7604ade411ccc66fd91.jpg

Reactions: Ssteve and millsy4002
Put the car up for sale Saturday 28th, sold it on Monday 30th lol! Huge amount of interest! Left the ad on ebay a while just to see how many watchers I’d get up to, currently on 225 watchers in less than a week! Sold to a chap down south in Letchworth, so if anybody spots it about be nice to see a pic!

Reactions: D7YAB and RS4B5
Put the car up for sale Saturday 28th, sold it on Monday 30th lol! Huge amount of interest! Left the ad on ebay a while just to see how many watchers I’d get up to, currently on 225 watchers in less than a week! Sold to a chap down south in Letchworth, so if anybody spots it about be nice to see a pic!

I saw your advert on ebay and it was well documented and appealing. its sad to see this car go but honestly speaking, if i had the money i would have snatched this off you.

if this car is gone, im guessing you will have another car lined up to toy with again right?

I saw your advert on ebay and it was well documented and appealing. its sad to see this car go but honestly speaking, if i had the money i would have snatched this off you.

if this car is gone, im guessing you will have another car lined up to toy with again right?
Thanks! Do miss the car, it was a real looker, I've been looking at 2009/2010 S3 Sportbacks and they just dont look as good as the A3 lol.

No more big conversions unfortunately, a lot of time, effort and money that can spent wisely elsewhere.
I have myself a Golf GTi Mk5 DSG in Tornado Red with every optional extra as a daily drive which I'm happy with and its definitely faster than the A3 lol.
Have also bought a BMW E46 M3 Convertible SMG in Phoenix Yellow with every optional extra with only 81k miles on the clock so might put that away as the value is only going one way on them now :D

Reactions: D7YAB
Where did you get the chrome tips? Did they just slide on or??

I bought some slide on ones for my car from Audi for £70 and someone nicked them when it was parked up :(

Where did you get the chrome tips? Did they just slide on or??

I bought some slide on ones for my car from Audi for £70 and someone nicked them when it was parked up :(

I had it done at an exhaust place in Birmingham, they were welded on

Thanks I will get that done when my warranty runs out, how much did they cost to have welded on?

I paid £150 but that included having the 2 mid silencers removed as well. So just the tips will be cheaper.