Omy193's AUDI A3 3.2 V6 DSG BIG BUILD THREAD! *PANROOF RETROFIT* *S3 FACELIFT CONVERSION*

Omy193

Reaction score
Hello all,

Been meaning to start this thread for a while but just didn't get around to it.
However have been collecting a few photos ready for when I did, so here we are!

Quick intro:
Me and my brother are keen car enthusiasts and have owned a few Audi's in the past.
Have done a few little mods and coding ourselves with help from this forum of course.

Audi A3 8P 2.0 TDi S Line (LED rear lights)

Audi A6 C6 3.0 TDi S Line Quattro (MMI and Satnav updated to latest version, Le Mans Alloy wheels)
Before and After pic:

Audi TT 8J 2.0 TFSi (TTS Rear lights, TTS front bumper, mirrors sprayed in Alu)

Our biggest conversion to date was on this Seat Leon 2.0 TDi DSG in 2015:

We fitted full facelift front + rear, BTCC bodykit, Cupra R diffuser, supercopa alloy wheels, FR interior, full black roof lining, facelift climate control, Xtrons android touchscreen stereo with reverse camera, wifi, bluetooth. FR paddle shift steering wheel (coded in and working!)

Audi-Sport forum has helped us out many a times and is a great community so thought it's only right we share our experience and give back to the community with any help we can offer!

The Car:
Right, now to get down to it:

So my brother was looking to buy a car towards the end of last year, we was on the look out and I came across this 54reg Audi A3 3.2 V6 DSG Sportback:

fd95e86117e28d5c76130e3b13c31084.jpg

31ead0d2a1fb6049f5be0bd343d72380.jpg

afe93f41fa91479b6d7bc48e36596d3e.jpg

92k Miles with Full service history, 2 Prev owners from new, 2 keys, all paperwork ect
Factory options included:
Single Xenon Lights
Cruise Control
Half leather, half alcantra interior
Heated front seats

Popped over to view it, had a test drive, engine and gearbox were spot on, car drove really well, so struck a deal and bought the car at a very decent price!

Gathering parts:

There was no way this car was going to stay standard, even on the drive up to viewing it we was considering our options and what kind of conversion we could do.

Now we always wanted a Pan Roof, however finding an A3 with a pan roof is very rare, never mind a 3.2 V6 DSG Sportback with a pan roof!

So just typed in audi a3 pan roof into ebay and found a seller in Bradford who had one for sale!

Taking inspiration from Amar's thread a few years ago, we decided if it has been done before, then it definitely is possible!

This was the first item we bought for this car lol, don't have the original picture of the exact one we bought but found a very similar looking image to what we got:

The one we bought as it was cut straight from the pillars of the car, came complete with the sun roof motor + plugs, complete black roof lining with sun visors, grab handles, interior lights, A + C pillar trims. The only missing pieces were the B pillar seat belt trims.
Grabbed hold of a friend who has a van, took a trip up north and picked up the pan roof and trims!
The roof and trims went straight into the garage and the search begin for other parts!

The questions was then either to go for S3 or RS3 look?
As we were going to be doing the facelift conversion, which required the wings to be changed anyway, we considered going for the RS3 look.
There were plenty of bodykits on ebay however the only thing putting us off was that the kits were fibre glass!
Having previous fitted a fibre glass kit to our Seat Leon years ago we had said then that we would never fit a full fibre glass body kit again as there is too much modifying, and the line up is never 100%
Also looked at a few completed replica for sale on the net and when zooming in on the front bumper especially, you could see the lines weren't equal.

While still contemplating, a bumper came up for sale on ebay, it was advertised as an Audi A3 facelift complete front bumper with grille, however I noticed straight away that it was in actual fact an S3 bumper with an RS honeycomb grill!
Complete with washer caps, foglights + grills, so snapped that up straight away at a very decent price!
Also managed to find 2 bi-xenon headlights, one was in the full working order with ballast and bulb, the other was without ballast, bulb and also had a small crack along the bottom, however still functional and thought we'd take our chances and snapped them up too:

Still needed a facelift bonnet, pair of wings and slam panel to complete the front end.

Instead of finding them separately, decided to order them all from Eurocarparts Platinum+ range.
As my friend owns a garage, they get pretty good discount, also ordered wing fixings kit from TPS as the brand new wings come without them.

Front end stripped:

Test fit of the front end:

Bonnet didn't sit quite right on original hinges, so ordered a pair of facelift bonnet hinges.

Kufatec bi-xenon headlight adapters had also arrived so got them connected up and the extra 4 wires ran under the dash to wire to the J519 module.
However realised that the module needed to be replaced with a newer version to support the facelift bi-xenon lights, so couldn't get the lights up and running

Now to do something with the back end, didn't want to stick on a spoiler as it doesn't look OEM, so got looking for a S line tailgate with spoiler.
After weeks and weeks of looking couldn't find the right tailgate at the right price, and then I finally found the right tailgate, with original spoiler and as a bonus it was in red, enquired and it was sold

Then this came along: Audi S3 facelift tailgate with LED inner lights!

Snapped it up, also at a very decent price!

Couldn't find a pair of genuine S3 side skirts or rear sportback diffuser, or when we did find them, sellers wanted a lot of money for them which we weren't willing to pay lol.

So ended up giving in and ordering a pair of copy side skirts and S3 rear diffsuer from ebay.
Pre-facelift A3's came with a 2 piece rear bumper, the bottom half comes away from the top so a S3 diffuser can be fitted straight on.

The car was now ready for the work to be started.

Enquired around various places as wanted a proper job done on the pan roof, however a lot of bodyworkers didn't want to make the effort and just wanted to cut it from the pillars which we were against to avoid affecting the main structure of the car.

A friend of ours had recently taken over a bodyshop and claimed he had a very good body worker.
After having a chat with him, he seemed quite skilled in his profession and reassured us that the job was not a problem for him and it would be done properly!

Removed all seats apart from drivers, rear carpert ect and off the car went to the bodyshop!

Continued in next post...

Last edited:
Reactions: RS4B5, S. and maxpayne
The Conversion:

The car was at the bodyshop, windscreen removed, top roof skin cut out, front windscreen bar removed, middle bar removed:

Picture from the front with the 3.2 on show

The pan roof was then taken apart, glass separated from the frame.
The front panel from the pan roof frame was then welded onto the car:

The rest of the frame was then welded onto the car, I didn't get a chance to go down myself and get some pics, however my brother made a little video which showed some of the weld work and the car prepped up for paint. Will try uploading it to youtube and posting a link.

Had the car resprayed in Misano Red while it was there to get the real S3 look:

Did tell the bodyworker to spray the silver slam bar behind the front grill but he forgot, so that still needs to be done.
I've seen a lot of replicas that have left the slam bar silver and it really annoys me so definitely needs to be done black asap!

While the car was at the bodyshop, started looking around at interiors.
Seen an Audi S3 on autotrader that had the 2 tone black and red leather which really caught our attention, so the search began!
A week later and found a full set out of a 2011 Audi S3 sportback,
Front seats heated, rear seats + door cards with gloss/piano black trims + facelift window switches!
Fair price, delivered to the door!

Car came out the bodyshop and home Thursday 22nd Feb with the windscreen and pan roof all fitted in!

Now the pan roof motor had 5 wires coming off it.
2 thick wires which were positive and earth and 3 thinner wires.
Ran the 2 thick wires down to the fuse box, positive straight to fuse box, earth = earthed lol
1 of the thinner wires we figured was an ignition live so tested few wires for an ignition live and wired that up.
Was unsure what the other 2 thinner wires were for so just got some insulation tape on them and left them tucked away. (Could quite possibly need wiring to the alarm or something so roof opens/closes with lock/unlock on keyfob maybe? hmmm)

Pan roof now working!

Also picked up a set of genuine 18" rotor alloy wheels with near enough new tyres, so had them balanced and fitted:

Had ordered a new Central electrics (J519) module the week before so got around to fitting that in, wiring the kufatec adapters and coding to get the bi-xenon shutters and DRL's working correctly, also got hold of a genuine ballast for the headlight that came without one and a pair of LUNEX 6000k D3S Xenon bulbs

Spent a few hours yesterday (Sunday) getting the roof lining and trims into the car, the old headlining didn't have any sun visor lights, but the new black lining came with some nice LED units so got them wired in too while we was there.
Still missing the B pillar seat belt trims in black, only non black trims left so need to get onto them pretty soon

Also picked up the side skirts and rear diffuser, picture of the diffuser below (you can also see the old J519 module in the corner too )

By the end of this week, the aim is to have done:

Diffsuer + side skirts on
Windows tinted
Seats and door cards fitted
Rear lights fitted and coded in (waiting for kufatec adapters to arrive)
Gloss black rear Audi badge

Will post with updates as and when they happen

I am selling the full pre facelift front end which was removed (bonnet, complete bumper, wings, xenon headlights)
17" genuine alloy wheels, tailgate and rear lights also for sale
Will do a very attractive price for fellow forum members so do send a PM if you're interested

Any comments, thoughts, opinions, ideas are all welcome!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dee60, millsy4002, Robin Chandler and 2 others
Hero build this. There is another build thread on ASN that shows a Retro pan roof fit. This what you call 'dedication' to the Audi brand and hope there will be more similar build threads.

Oh, and well done the Bruv.

Reactions: Omy193
Hero build this. There is another build thread on ASN that shows a Retro pan roof fit. This what you call 'dedication' to the Audi brand and hope there will be more similar build threads.

Oh, and well done the Bruv.
Thanks mate :thumbs up:
I seen that build (AmarAkoyas), that’s where the inspiration came from lol!

Excellent build mate, shows you what you can do if you put your mind , money n b*w's to it

Thanks for the comments guys :icon thumright:

In all honesty it didn’t cost as much as you’re probably thinking!

If you keep an eye out on ebay and be patient the parts do pop up from time to time at decent prices!

This is crazy.

I only ready over it very quickly but are you doing anything with the door mirrors? As the facelift mirrors have the indicators in them.

This is crazy.

I only ready over it very quickly but are you doing anything with the door mirrors? As the facelift mirrors have the indicators in them.
Will be eventually...ideally would like the S3 wing mirrors, however going for a red and black theme so thinking just normal facelift mirrors done in gloss black would also suffice. Waiting for a pair or even single sides to pop up at decent prices.

Nice build. Be interesting if you are going to turbo or supercharge it

Nice build. Be interesting if you are going to turbo or supercharge it
Have already considered doing a turbo conversion lol

However it would be used as a daily so not really a smart idea as it’ll probably return about 10mpg lol!!
Either going to turbo and use occasionally having to get another daily or prinns lpg and use it as the daily...:shrug:

Don't forget to do the timing chains/guides .........hate for all that work to go to waste ;-)

Don't forget to do the timing chains/guides .........hate for all that work to go to waste ;-)
Most definitley!
Well be getting onto the mechanicals after the looks are done :thumbs up:
Will be hopefully replacing the DMF, suspension, arms ect as well as timing and giving the DSG box another service

Cant worry about mpg when you have a 3.2 v6 hahaha. Just turbo it and stay off boost when cruising around

Cant worry about mpg when you have a 3.2 v6 hahaha. Just turbo it and stay off boost when cruising around
It is very tempting lol!

Any idea what work/parts involved to turbo it? (apart from the obvious turbo(s) and manifold lol)

Absolutely no idea mate haha

If I had the time and space I wouldnt turbo or supercharge....My idea would be for ITB's, full race side exit exhaust, cams and a remap, maybe a bit of light headwork. I reckon 320bhp would be realistic :)

Awesome build!!

£5.5k! :blink:
More than what the car is costing at the moment lol!! :whistle2:

And thats just for the kit!!
Factor in labour if you can't DIY as well as supporting mods i.e uprated brakes and general bits and pieces that may need replacing taking the car apart.. It's more like a £10K proposition.

Would love to go down that route if I had the £££

Naturally ASPirated. Nowhere near as much power as FI but nowhere near the price... depending if you go past bolt ons.
I think it goes, Full exhaust (Sports cats or decat), Schrick Cams, Remap. Or the whole hog, including flowed and ported heads, Forged engine internals, other mods to enable a higher redline.
Then decide if you want to change the inlet plenum to lost low end torque for all out hosepower.

For my car I think I will go the cams and call it a day until I acquire £10k to blow on the car.

Ah right thanks @splbound

Lets get the car looking 10/10 first and then will consider options...but im thinking prinns lpg and use as a daily lol

Ah right thanks @splbound

Lets get the car looking 10/10 first and then will consider options...but im thinking prinns lpg and use as a daily lol

Well you are well on your way there!

There's a video on Youtube by LivingLifeFast driving a VW r32 mk5 with 535bhp. R32 has the same 3.2 VR6 engine and watching the video makes me want that in my A3.

Reactions: RS4B5 and Omy193
Well you are well on your way there!

There's a video on Youtube by LivingLifeFast driving a VW r32 mk5 with 535bhp. R32 has the same 3.2 VR6 engine and watching the video makes me want that in my A3.
I just watched it! INSANE!!!:wtf::racer:

Reactions: RS4B5
THAT FRONT END LOOKS PROPER NAUGHTY IN RED WITH BLACK GRILL MATE
:hubbahubba:
How hard was it to remove the roof skin and the middle bar?
Also, I think you should paint or wrap the exterior door pillars (If you want to of course ) to gloss black as in the face-lift black edition A3s. Its a quick and subtle mod. I've done it to mine on one side as the paint was peeling(Still need to do the other side). Ill send a pic tomorrow of mine.
Overall definitely looking forward to updates.:thumbs up:

THAT FRONT END LOOKS PROPER NAUGHTY IN RED WITH BLACK GRILL MATE
:hubbahubba:
How hard was it to remove the roof skin and the middle bar?
Also, I think you should paint or wrap the exterior door pillars (If you want to of course ) to gloss black as in the face-lift black edition A3s. Its a quick and subtle mod. I've done it to mine on one side as the paint was peeling(Still need to do the other side). Ill send a pic tomorrow of mine.
Overall definitely looking forward to updates.:thumbs up:

Funnily enough I was looking at the door pillars the other day and thinking “Should of had them done gloss!”
Do they come off easily? Will definitley be getting them done.

Roof was removed by the body worker, but he didn’t have any big issues to be honest as its just a skin.
Middle bar bolted straight out, the front bar had to be cut out and front bar from the pan roof frame welded in along with the rest of the frame.

I've managed to upload a little video:

Thanks for your comments! :icon thumright:

Funnily enough I was looking at the door pillars the other day and thinking “Should of had them done gloss!”
Do they come off easily? Will definitley be getting them done.

Roof was removed by the body worker, but he didn’t have any big issues to be honest as its just a skin.
Middle bar bolted straight out, the front bar had to be cut out and front bar from the pan roof frame welded in along with the rest of the frame.

I've managed to upload a little video:

Thanks for your comments! :icon thumright:

Heres my drivers side yet to be wrapped
20180301 092720

Heres the wrapped passenger side. it doesnt look too bad until you look closely after you open the door as i couldnt wrap it properly.
20180301 093203

Right, now you have to open both doors to get access to the pillar. at the bottom there's a trim piece you have to pry up and slide down.(Heres where you see my poor wrapping skills :whistle2:)
20180301 092736

After you remove that theres two torx screws. cant remember which one but probably t10 to t15
20180301 092747

Just realised how dirty my car is :D But after removing those two screws the pillar trim should slide down and come free.

Been a busy Friday and Saturday with lots of work done, so time for some updates:

Taking on @D7YAB 's advise decided to wrap the B pillar trims.
First time attempting to wrap, 1st picture shows one trim wrapped and one trim still to be wrapped:

Picture of trim back on the car:

I think the wrap I bought wasn't very good quality as im not entirely satisfied with it, still looks a little dull for my liking.

Now, previous owner had an aftermarket RNS-E style stereo fitted with a reverse camera. However didn't quite like the look of the reverse camera as it was too obviously visible, so ordered one that fits into on of the number plate lights.
Had to remove the number plate light holder, drill a hole to get the wiring through then fit the camera, couldnt get a flush fit as the wire is still in the way:

Now the stereo also had an option for AV, so got a XTRON's DVB tuner and wired that in, freeview tv now working :D
Just so happened The Fast and Furious was on ITV last night lol:

Also fitted the side skirts and rear diffuser, completing the S3 bodykit, also fitted and coded the facelift LED rear lights, look of the car has completely changed now:

Next up were window tints "ALL AROUND" :yes:

I weren't kidding when I said all around :welcoming:, cheeky tint on the front screen :busted cop:

Now wanted a light smoke on the rear lights, however the quality light tint he had was a bit darker, so thought we'd put it on and see how it turns out, also fitted a gloss black audi rear badge:

Personally, I think the rear lights look too dark now.
Looks "ok" at night, but during the day its not all that. Will keep as they are for a while, see what opinions people give, worst case scenario can always take the tint off as its only film.
What do you guys think of the rear lights now?

Also got around to fitting the 2 tone S3 leathers, however will take pics once the door cars are on.

Car is in dire need of lowering now along with some nice exhaust tips

Left side headlight stopped working so bulb or ballast has packed in so that needs attending to, along with xenon range controller replacing to a newer version to get the auto leveling lights working.

Wiper motor broke while trying to remove from old tailgate (wiper arm nut seized, snapped holding brackets when trying to force off), have covered the hole with some black vinyl for the meanwhile but will be putting rear wiper back on soon once new motor arrives.
Also need a set of kick plates / door sills as old ones lost their shape when removing to fit the side skirts, seen a set of s line ones at a decent price so might get them.

Thats it for this weekend! :thumbs up:

Reactions: RS4B5
I'd agree with you on the rear lights .. too dark.
Not entirely sure about the black rear badge either ... trying too hard perhaps.

All personal taste .. I like sleepers but thank Allah we're all different.

Reactions: RS4B5 and Omy193
I'd agree with you on the rear lights .. too dark.
Not entirely sure about the black rear badge either ... trying too hard perhaps.

All personal taste .. I like sleepers but thank Allah we're all different.

After looking at the rear lights again today in the day light they definitely look rubbish now lol...tint film will be coming off :whip:

If you have time tomorrow, it would be good to see a rear end with lights back to normal.