Facelift OMG! We've all been duped

Evotion

The Greed For Speed
Reaction score
Came out yesterday - did you spot it?
Can't be good. :(

Evo uk

Reactions: Radman, dunes7, Colin A and 1 other person
That's got to be b*******. The PFL certainly isn't synthesised and the FL I really doubt is!

Well I can document on the feel next week, happily I've jus let had confirmation on a 24 hour lend from Tuesday into Wednesday :D :D

Reactions: Evotion
I can't see this article on their site now? Is it still there?

Even if the screenshot is fake and the RS3 does not have a sound actuator, this is nothing new. I think Audi use an actuator (they are called actuators as the word is more technical than just 'a loudspeaker'..) on some of their larger models - S4 springs to mind from memory.

As there is such a need to make cars more environmentally friendly, it is harder and harder to have a car with a 'race' exhaust and meet the emissions requirements, so these speakers are becoming more and more common. just treat it as evolution!

Reactions: Radman and AudiNutta
They are talking about the new one, the FL.
Not a surprise really.

Tut, tut - The lengths these PFL'ers will go to, to hide their jealousy :)

Reactions: RS-jay, Radman, AudiNutta and 2 others
Tut, tut - The lengths these PFL'ers will go to, to hide their jealousy :)
Ha, it's true... :p

Don't worry, I might be joining the FL brigade in abut 9 months as my one nears the end of the warranty.

Reactions: Radman
Ha, it's true... :p

Don't worry, I might be joining the FL brigade in abut 9 months as my one nears the end of the warranty.

I still find it amazing how you've been transformed into a hooligan by a car ;) They are fantastic however.

I don't like it when people state it is the "entry-level" RS, it's far from a sub-standard RS.

Well, it is the cheapest RS but we all know that in real-life situations, most of the time, any other RS including an RS6 or R8 will actually struggle to lose it.

In fact, one could argue it's the bargain of the lot of them.
We all know how good this car is. We simply grin and walk away from those that don't.

Reactions: Terminator x and Radman
Well, it is the cheapest RS but we all know that in real-life situations, most of the time, any other RS including an RS6 or R8 will actually struggle to lose it.

In fact, one could argue it's the bargain of the lot of them.
We all know how good this car is. We simply grin and walk away from those that don't.

It is the cheapest, but sometimes the context that it's the entry level car suggests it is far less superior.

It is great value for money, I know for a small hatchback it is expensive but when you realise what it rivals then it's a bargain. You are certainly paying for the science that goes into the engine.

Have you seen the video of the TTRS vs GTR? It was only on the very last leg that the GTR inched forwards and was across the line in a car length (if that) before the TT. What a car!

Indeed, as mentioned in another thread. There was me in the RS3, a new Nissan Skyline GTR and Ferrari (can't recall now if it was 458 or 488).
They were in front, the three of us in procession. We hit a dual carriageway. The Nissan floored it, then the Ferrari then me. All with sight delays.
After the initial pull-away when they obviously had the leap on me, neither of them moved much further away. We got up to 140 ish and then the Nissan backed off as there was a car in the inside lane. We then all backed off. At the upcoming roundabout, I shot inside them to leave at the first exit and gave them the 3rd to 1st Zorst Pops cacophony. My signature.... :)

Hooligan - me.. Nah. Ha.

Test drove an fl rs3 sportback today. really like the drive and sound. Felt more refined sound to the pfl.

Test drove an fl rs3 sportback today. really like the drive and sound. Felt more refined sound to the pfl.
That seems to be the received wisdom. I'll reserve judgment till I've drove it but the absolute main reason I bought a PFL was so I could get the noise, as my previous car was a Golf R that had zero noise or drama. The PFL is far from perfect but the biggest smiles it gives me is when I downshift at high revs and it sounds off! The FL has lost that and so I'll probably give it a miss, even though it's 0.2s faster to 100mph.

That seems to be the received wisdom. I'll reserve judgment till I've drove it but the absolute main reason I bought a PFL was so I could get the noise, as my previous car was a Golf R that had zero noise or drama. The PFL is far from perfect but the biggest smiles it gives me is when I downshift at high revs and it sounds off! The FL has lost that and so I'll probably give it a miss, even though it's 0.2s faster to 100mph.
Still believe the PFL will be a it of a cult following, but like the outgoing V8's. Petrol heads buy cars like this for the noise.

I heard one yesterday, not being biased but really disappointingly toned down. Sounds like mine in comfort mode

Are you sure you heard one with a Sports Exhaust in Dynamic? Because it definitely doesn't sound like any comfort mode.....

Still believe the PFL will be a it of a cult following, but like the outgoing V8's. Petrol heads buy cars like this for the noise.
Agree re the cult following.

Still believe the PFL will be a it of a cult following, but like the outgoing V8's. Petrol heads buy cars like this for th
Are you sure you heard one with a Sports Exhaust in Dynamic? Because it definitely doesn't sound like any comfort mode.....
Slight exaggeration mate. But it was really muted and quite 'artificial' compared to the PFL IMHO. Still sounded ok but lacked that rawness

Audi should have kept the pops and crackles in dynamic. Don't like it, go into individual mode and turn it off etc

Reactions: Terminator x and AudiNutta
Slight exaggeration mate. But it was really muted and quite 'artificial' compared to the PFL IMHO. Still sounded ok but lacked that rawness

I was lucky enough to hear the one at ADI yesterday, so I thought it was a bit over the top. The PFL still sounds far better, I agree totally but that's what it is.. I'm getting into a new RS3 with stonking performance, the noise sadly is the sacrifice.

I agree it sounds artificial but only when comparing the two online, in person for somebody who rarely hears them it sounded great to me.

As Terminator says, it's broadly speaking the same sound, maybe slightly different. It's the pops and crackles that have gone. And what is it that makes me smile most... hence I'll probably be staying put with my PFL!

I was in a Convertible right behind a FL S3 Sedan (not RS3) which came out in front of us at Audi Guildford - sounded great. It had a decent noise cruising, a great noise accelerating with the pops on the upshift. Yes, I was right in the noise envelope trail of that car but it still sounded very good and that was the S3.
It really surprised me and my son. Actually, made me wonder why you would get the Rs3 over the S3 when it comes to the FL and the price difference.

St
I was lucky enough to hear the one at ADI yesterday, so I thought it was a bit over the top. The PFL still sounds far better, I agree totally but that's what it is.. I'm getting into a new RS3 with stonking performance, the noise sadly is the sacrifice.

I agree it sounds artificial but only when comparing the two online, in person for somebody who rarely hears them it sounded great to me.
Still a fantastic car mate....don't take it literally. FL car is a cracker

Reactions: AudiNutta
Seems the TTRS is the one to go for if you don't need the rear space as it has the noise and new engine (although paying a premium for it).

Seems the TTRS is the one to go for if you don't need the rear space as it has the noise and new engine (although paying a premium for it).
I've looked in detail at getting a TTRS as I reckon the looks, lighter weight/performance and interior justify the increase. However, if going down the PCP route (which I would have to do) the GFVs are the same as the RS3, despite costing several thousand pounds more. This makes it a very expensive car next to the RS3.

I would be a TTRS buyer now knowing how good these RS cars are BUT need the rare seats.

RS3 - Practical Power (TM)

Fellow members, i think you're all getting a bit too hung up on the noise thing here and a lot of it is speculation about what the FL might sound like.
Wait till you actually hear one or better still drive one at full chat and then make your minds up.
But I can tell you, after putting a good few hundred miles on mine (with sports ex) over the weekend, it sounds the fuccing nuts and can wake the neighbours (and indeed has !).
More importantly, to me anyway, it goes like beep beep beep beep !!!
The virtual dash is very nice.
And the handling - well try one....

If you want noise then get a V8 something, or even a V10.

Reactions: neg, Callum66, zaka7 and 1 other person
Fellow members, i think you're all getting a bit too hung up on the noise thing here and a lot of it is speculation about what the FL might sound like.
Wait till you actually hear one or better still drive one at full chat and then make your minds up.
But I can tell you, after putting a good few hundred miles on mine (with sports ex) over the weekend, it sounds the fuccing nuts and can wake the neighbours (and indeed has !).
More importantly, to me anyway, it goes like beep beep beep beep !!!
The virtual dash is very nice.
And the handling - well try one....

If you want noise then get a V8 something, or even a V10.

Great review :D

I am very excited to drive one tomorrow for a few hundred miles, will be incredible!

I am very excited to drive one tomorrow for a few hundred miles, will be incredible
I've not driven one without the sports exhaust so don't be too disappointed about the sound Audinutta!!

I am very excited to drive one tomorrow for a few hundred miles, will be incredible
I've not driven one without the sports exhaust so don't be too disappointed about the sound Audinutta!!

I will try my best not to, it still has to sound good anyway. Plenty of narrow streets are required I think :D