Old vs New Technology

Reaction score
Yes, another one of these Big Turbo question threads by me. Apologies

So, as some may know I am planning big turbo build however I still cannot decide what manifold/turbo to go for. I've been reading Big Turbo build threads in the 1.8T section in VwVortex, majority of which are a decade old (or older)

I am planning for a CTS Turbo/Kinetic cast exhaust manifold with a 39mm wastegate (great kit, I've seen setups of 400+whp on this manifold) for a good price and combine that with a Garrett GT3071R. This is a setup thats been used a lot before with good results and you could potentially reach 400whp (my goal).

HOWEVER, ten years later there are other parts available. I am heavily considering a custom Tubular Exhaust Manifold along with a Garrett G25-550 paired with a 44mm wastegate. It's being said the G25-550 spools like a KO4. So, early spool = more fun. Downside? Price.

GT3071R with manifold would cost me around 1700 Quid whereas the G25-550 with Tubular manifold would cost me rougly 2600 Quid. Excluding Wastegate and downpipe fab (for both setups)

A 900 Quid difference for two different setups which could potentially do the same thing (reach 400+whp)?

I suppose majority would recommend G25 because it's what everyone uses and Badger5 themselves too, but just want some opinions. I suppose the phrase, Buy once Cry once, can be seriously applied here. AND, if I would want some more oomph, a G25 could potentially go ''further'' than a GT3071R

Any input? Ideas? What would be a better choice?
Cheers
S.Pellegrino

I can only comment on what I've read and see online over the last year and that is that the way to go nowadays is the g25-550 or the g25-650. I believe that the gt and the gtx are still good turbos but just new technology has came along.

If I were in your shoes, For the extra £££ go G25-550/660. The tubular top mount manifold, wastegate, downpipe, maybe even oil and waterline can be used if you decided you want more power, more than the G25-550/660 can offer down the line with another G series variant.

Over engineer where you can possible, the older tech is old tech at the end of the day, it has its limitations. You’ll struggle to buy a “new” GT3076, likely to be a copy or second hand, either way it won’t be as efficient as the new stuff and won’t last as long neither.

Avoid these “Kits” as well, people have tried them and ended up having to fabricate things one way or another to get them to fit and work.

I’ve always wanted to do something differently, to well, be different. Sometimes it’s best to go the tried and tested route. That’s said I think I’ll be the first to run a G30-770 on a 1.8 20v Stroker here in the UK. Despite that, Badger5 are building it and they know what they are doing, again tried and tested route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: hydro s3
As above, The G25 route will give you a much better result at the end of the day. It's not just the amount of power that these turbos deliver it's the way they do it. Especially as G25-550 spools really early and has great transient response so when changing gears it's there straight away. Has a very big area under the curve so very easy to drive fast without having to rev the nuts off it. I went for the G25-660 with a Nortech manifold set up and the quality is awesome. All V band so getting it to fit and then to take apart if you need to it's great. The G25 setup will have more value if you sell it on and will probably be more reliable as it's a 500bhp capable turbo.
Loads of info on turbo selection in this thread.
check out this compressor map and tell me what you think | Page 37 | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum