Ok chaps, talk to me about Spotify.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Right then , being a somewhat newby on the whole online downloadable music front I suspect some guidance is required now.
As i'm about to go cd less in the old bus I will need to compile a completely new music collection on other media.
Spotify has been mentioned a fair few times , so then, what do I need to know and I mean all the relative stuff aswell such as cost .
Any help and guidance from all you experienced bods would be greatfully recieved

rob

There are 3 versions, free, premium, family. From what I remember the free version has adverts, limited skips of songs and you can't download music so you always have to use mobile data to listen. Premium is £9.99 a month for a single user, no ads, and you can download as much as want for listening offline. Family(which I use) is £14.99 a month for 6 premium accounts if all users live at the same address, although you can give to others that dont live with as long as they set up an account using your address and don't let Spotify find out.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
It’s not bad but I found the amount of music slightly limited. And the app a little temperamental with my head unit in the car. Also it wouldn’t select tracks via the head unit but that may have been my pixal phone. Now I’m back to Apple I’m hoping it will work better in the car. Got 3 months free trial with this new iPhone for Apple Music which is the same price so I’ll see what that is like as I may switch. And if you have amazon prime you get the music app free as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Charlie Farley
It’s not bad but I found the amount of music slightly limited. And the app a little temperamental with my head unit in the car. Also it wouldn’t select tracks via the head unit but that may have been my pixal phone. Now I’m back to Apple I’m hoping it will work better in the car. Got 3 months free trial with this new iPhone for Apple Music which is the same price so I’ll see what that is like as I may switch. And if you have amazon prime you get the music app free as well

that's handy as I have a prime account.

may need to look into the apple side of things and compare them both.

thanks chap.

There are 3 versions, free, premium, family. From what I remember the free version has adverts, limited skips of songs and you can't download music so you always have to use mobile data to listen. Premium is £9.99 a month for a single user, no ads, and you can download as much as want for listening offline. Family(which I use) is £14.99 a month for 6 premium accounts if all users live at the same address, although you can give to others that dont live with as long as they set up an account using your address and don't let Spotify find out.
sounds like a premium service would be the way to go with spotify then, just wondering on what music they have available .

Been messing about with my new iPhone and what a piece of pi55 to use in my car. Plug it straight in and all 2000 songs I can select on the screen along with play lists then on the head unit I get album art. Very user friendly

Spotify I get f*** all still like on my google phone and have to select tracks on the handset while driving which is not what I want. So I think there getting the sack.

If you’re a iPhone user then Apple Music gets my vote

The free Amazon Prime music service is barely worth using there are so few tracks included with it.

Rob. You can download Spotify for free on your phone and setup a free account. Then you can search for music and see if they have the songs and artists you’re looking for. You can still create a playlist and like those songs into your playlist (the heart button). There’s also playlists others create which may have music you like already added to it. The best part about paying for it is that when you go on a plane ride or somewhere without connection or terrible connection you can listen to your music because it will download it to Spotify for you. I’ve had little to no problems with mine and I use it all over the world and on airplanes. I don’t know that you’ll find every single song you fancy but it’s worth a look and it’s free. But yea, the free one will interrupt you with commercials. I use to use the free one mostly when I lived California and was in the garage working on my car and it didn’t really bother me to hear commercials.

Spotify music library is huge....there hasn't been any songs i haven't been able to find. You can search for songs by title, artist, genre or album.

The free Amazon Prime music service is barely worth using there are so few tracks included with it. Their full version is cheaper than Spotty thigh if you already have Prime, though, as you get a discount.

I have Spotifiy premium and don't really struggle to find stuff that I like and I wouldn't class myself as mainstream in my music tastes!
Also I pay for 3 to 4 month's and then cancel and within a month I usually get an offer of 3 months for 9.99 comes through :grin:

I'm a scrooge & pay nothing for music in the car
Find music on you tube , copy the link into a you tube converter, download & drop it into iTunes and transfer to my iPhone then listen via one of those Bluetooth gadgets that plug into the fag lighter that's set to a preset station on the radio, works well.

Reactions: CHEZ and DieselJake
I use YouTube music
Got loads of data to consume, so just stream it on my phone that's plugged into the jack plug.
Heck, I even get to see videos stuck in traffic too.
All free, and remembers your previous history and even suggests stuff.

Reactions: Ghost
Loving apple music. Beats FM have 5, 2 hour sessions from Andy C I have been rinsing. Any tunes from podcasts are shown and if I really want a track played from the cast I can download straight to a playlist. A had a few youths in my car over the weekend and they said where did you find all these bangers :rockwoot:

Reactions: CHEZ
excellent, hope they wer'nt hoody youths..lol

Reactions: Raiden