Oil warning light !!

Essflee

Reaction score
Hi,

starting to get a major head ache with the car.

The original problem was the temp gauge not reaching 90c so I booked the car in for a new thermostat, I asked the bloke while it was in if he could fit a new dipstick at the same time as this needs removing to get to the thermostat and it made sense to replace this at the same time because they get brittle,

Anyway, picked the car up and now the temp sits bang on 90c,

Problem now is that with in 3 miles of driving the oil light flashed and came on "red can" I checked the oil and that's fine, so I decided to drive back to the garage in which the light came on 2 more times...

Since this happened the sump has been removed and the pick up was cleaned in case this caused low pressure, but just now the light has come on again.

I was concerned initially if they had disturbed something on the car when fitting the thermostat and new dipstick and tube when the light first came on, it seemed to much of a coincidence.

Does anybody know if there is anyway the new dipstick and dipstick tube not fitted properly could cause low pressure, before the sump comes off again and change the oil pump...

Sorry for the long yarn, any help appreciated...

That would be the next move before the oil pump, it just still seems strange that I've never had the oil light come on in the past until the car had been in the garage, I know these things can happen, it could just be a massive coincidence.

Make sure the dipstick is fitted properly.

Other issues may be a blocked gallery/pickup, oil pump, and there is a pressure valve inside the oil filter housing.

Make sure the dipstick is fitted properly.

Other issues may be a blocked gallery/pickup, oil pump, and there is a pressure valve inside the oil filter housing.

Is the gallery/pickup the 'oil pickup' that's already been cleaned or is there another one ?

A new oil filter was fitted when the sump was removed and fresh oil,

The dipstick and tube were replaced, I've asked him a couple of times about this and he assures me it's a genuine part and they just push on, this was where I thought the problem could lie but from what I'm being told it can't really be fitted incorrectly, do you think Karl it's possible that if it is badly fitted it would be bad enough to cause low pressure ?

I'll take the car back in tomorrow, be nice to know if my suspicions are possible or complete tripe !

I can't see how a badly fitted dipstick could cause Le oil pressure- other than by letting all the oil leak/ blow out.

I cant be the dip tube at fault because mine has been cracked for 6 months and i had no problems. I replaced mine this morning and car still ok. Did they use the right oil because the sensor wont pick up certain grade of oil

Thanks for the responses, I'll rule out the dip stick at least then...

The oil is ok too

No oil leaks at all ?

It never use too, however I've noticed today that after the sump was refitted I've now got some small oil drips on my drive, I parked the car the other way round to make sure and after being home 15mins I can see a couple of drips again, not impressed...

Cars going back in tomorrow, it's joke really.

It never use too, however I've noticed today that after the sump was refitted I've now got some small oil drips on my drive, I parked the car the other way round to make sure and after being home 15mins I can see a couple of drips again, not impressed...

Cars going back in tomorrow, it's joke really.
I feel sometimes you wanna stand over them and watch them in case of mistakes,not good

I feel sometimes you wanna stand over them and watch them in case of mistakes,not good

Totally agree mate, I wish I could do all the work myself, I hate when my car needs work, I know how particular I'd be if I knew what I was doing...