Oil temps

Mine sits at around the same as the coolant temp but will rise to just under 100 on fast road driving.

Not TQS only a lowly FWD but sits round about the 90 mark, on track giving it death it climbs a bit but not too much. I was wondering about the addition of a thermostatically controlled oil cooler but as yet it's not been needed. Now I have my go faster bits sat on my pc desk things may shift a bit.

Not TQS only a lowly FWD but sits round about the 90 mark, on track giving it death it climbs a bit but not too much. I was wondering about the addition of a thermostatically controlled oil cooler but as yet it's not been needed. Now I have my go faster bits sat on my pc desk things may shift a bit.

You about ready to nail on the 3" MAF and injectors then ?? Ive just done mine but need to up the wastegate pressure its running 8psi and seeing around 190hp of airflow. Massive difference than before on the F4 with stock setup !!

Only need the gaskets now mate and a suitable air filter to fit the hole. Need to sort a wideband out though so I can check on things as my ECU has been chipped so not sure how that will effect things. Tempted to go with the Golf/A3 018CJ ECU but we'll see

Id be tempted to go for the 018 CJ ecu as you might have issues, im looking at maybe getting one and just get it mapped but safe to run on the stock rods.

Pretty sure its through the OBD port iirc

If its bench job then i cant see point in the upgrade so i presume it will be 100% through the OBD port.

CJ is flashable. Needs power adding to pin 42 iirc to enable boot mode

Also i WAS seeing temps of around 80 on cruise and 100 when on it, but i have a separate oil cooler helping keep my temps sensible

At what temp we should be getting worried, stop pushing it and let cool down? I was thinking that first mod for my track car should be an oil cooler.

The car already has an oil cooler, linked into the coolant system.

This does a reasonable job at stock or mildly increased power levels so long as the cooling system itself is in good order. If my car were having cooling issues, the first think i'd do is replace the radiator, and perhaps renew the oil cooler as well, as after 15 years they'll be caked with crud inside.

If it were my car, and the temp was heading up towards 110c, i'd be thinking its time to give it a rest and let it cool down.

Oh and to answer the OP, mine sits around 90 once fully warmed up.

Driving hard will see it climb, i've seen it slightly over 100c in the Avant when driving up steep mountain passes.

Do you guys use 5W40? Would a 0W40 be any better for the track?

the w rating is how the oil reacts when cold, so a 0w40 and 5w40 would be largely the same once at normal temperature.

Some of the "race" oils are 10w50 or similar, the idea being that although its a 50 weight oil at normal operating temps and so would be a bit thicker, at the elevated oil temps you find on track the oil doesnt become too thin.

Again, i think if your running standard or mild tune, you really dont need to worry too much, stock 5w40 oil will be fine. Audi didnt beef up the cooling of the 225 S3/TT engine in any way.