Oil Temp

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
I've done allot of long distance driving over the last month or two and noticed something possible odd with my oil temp.

It would normally sit around the 90 mark but every now and then it would slowly climb over the 100 degree mark, sit there for a bit and then really quickly drop back down to 90, you can see the needle move.

I did a oil service on the weekend and it did this before that, so it might just be old oil.

Has the AFN engine got any form of Oil cooler or thermostat will open to cool the engine oil off if it get hot?

Most (all?) B5's have oil temp.

Probably removed it from the later cars as they decided most drivers didnt have a clue what it was for.

There is an oil cooler, it sits between the oil filter and the filter housing, like a sandwich plate, and acts as a heat exchanger with the main coolant.

Have you checked the engine coolant temp when its doing this oddness? If the engine coolant was spiking to 100c as well, the coolant guage wouldnt move as its buffered, but the oil guage isnt so will show the change immedately.

Most (all?) B5's have oil temp.

Probably removed it from the later cars as they decided most drivers didnt have a clue what it was for.

There is an oil cooler, it sits between the oil filter and the filter housing, like a sandwich plate, and acts as a heat exchanger with the main coolant.

Have you checked the engine coolant temp when its doing this oddness? If the engine coolant was spiking to 100c as well, the coolant guage wouldnt move as its buffered, but the oil guage isnt so will show the change immedately.

Coolant sits at 90 and never moves.

I've seen that plate with the coolant pipes going in.

oilcoolergasketpics004a.jpg

Thing with two pipes above the oil filter :)

The coolant guage WONT move. it has a buffer where it stays showing 90 at all temps between 80 and 105ish.

You need to bring up the live data on the climate control to see what the actual temperature is.

On my B5 the coolant temp is always bang on 90 on the gauge and the oil temp sits at about where 100 would be and doesn't budge unless high-speed cruising on motorway in warm weather when it goes up a bit.

use the shareware version+ebay cable, should accomplish the same thing.

It should also show you coolant.