1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Oil temp Gauge????

Oranoco Mar 29, 2017

1. Oranoco

Oranoco Registered User

Got I'm the old girl tonight and pulled out of the car park at work. Noticed the oil temp gauge reading 180deg. As the engine had only just started I figured it was safe to assume the reading couldn't be trusted. Sure enough the car was left to cool (3 hours) and when I turned the ignition lights on the gauge shot straight to 80deg.

Do I assume the sender is at fault. Is this on the modene oil cooler/warmer and can it be replaced without swapping the modene out? Assume OE is the only one to get?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. VAG-Slag

VAG-Slag Registered User

Best way to tell would be to log oil temp in vag-com... If the results in vag-com are still way off you can be fairly certain it's the sender at fault.

From experience though, I would not be at all surprised if the dash was at fault...

4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

early clusters cant log it i dont think, the signal just directly drives the guage.

Its a spade terminal on the oil filter housing. Theres two though, one for the pressure sensor and one for temp. the sensor simply unscrews if you need to change it.

5. Oranoco

Oranoco Registered User

Well oddly the gauge behaved fine this morning. Will get hold of the stealer and order a new sender.

6. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Maybe the wire is loose or has chafed on something. I wouldnt go ordering a new one.

7. Oranoco

Oranoco Registered User

Need to measure up for a couple of bits. Want to reinstate a recirculating DV rather than my HKS unit if possible.

8. Oranoco

Oranoco Registered User

Came home from work watching the gauge and again it behaved just fine. Popped the bonnet and had a good rummage and nothing looks off. Guess I'll have to watch it for a few days and see what happens.