8YARWY

Electric Avenue
Reaction score
Post is for info.

5472aa25f87d9e1775889459b2189011.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kayemill, NevMan, Waq1 and 3 others
I see there is 'confusion' elsewhere about how to read the above info.....

Ignore the top 0W-20 it says on the database it was dropped in 2017.........

It's the bottom part that's relevant, so 0W-30 504/507

There is another Caveat to this though, many dealers, independents are using 5W-30 as they did on the earlier cars.........

But........there are delivered 8Y's that have 0W-30 Shell bottles as a top up in the boot.

Reactions: Mike.46
Not sure I like the idea of 0W-30 weight oil, the 'old' RS3 was 5W-30 as said but many tuners/engine builders suggested to go to 10W-40 or 15W-50 when tuned,
I did a bit of work on 'our' RS3 engined Golf which had the 'clever' oil pump with sliding shafts that reduced the oil pressure and oil pump capacity when driven lightly (this only started when running in period was completed and was to reduce parastic loads and decrease emissions).

The oil pump only delivered 40psi in high pressure mode so I messed/adjusted/calibrated the pressure control spring (with compressed air) adding a suitable designed shim (that could be removed when built by just dropping the oil sump in case it didnt work as expected) and the mod delivered 60psi as planned

The independent garage I trust & use, have TPS supplied - Quantum 0W-30 (504-507) approved for VAG cars.
Google. search states, Quantum was previously rebranded Castrol, however, now by Fuchs.

The fact its 504-507 certified, fully synthetic and is the specified viscosity enough of the technical consideration to be used, instead of the high profile brands ?

Attachments

• 13649.001_TPS_Longlife_III_0W-30_Spec_Sheet_V2_1.pdf
    510.2 KB · Views: 190
Reactions: 8YARWY
The independent garage I trust & use, have TPS supplied - Quantum 0W-30 (504-507) approved for VAG cars.
Google. search states, Quantum was previously rebranded Castrol, however, now by Fuchs.

The fact its 504-507 certified, fully synthetic and is the specified viscosity enough of the technical consideration to be used, instead of the high profile brands ?

Can’t see anything wrong with it to be fair.

A friend uses Quantum oil in his heavily modified RS3 all the time.

Reactions: RS03???
Just been speaking to @creweaudiparts and Tom has confirmed the 0W-30 is the correct spec for the 8Y RS3

Will be ordering a service kit from them to give it a change now I've gone past 1K miles.

Reactions: 3vans
Just been speaking to @creweaudiparts and Tom has confirmed the 0W-30 is the correct spec for the 8Y RS3

Will be ordering a service kit from them to give it a change now I've gone past 1K miles.
Really dont like sound of 0W-30, I wonder how much of that oil selection is for parasitic drag/emission purposes?

Audi 'did' an odd oil pump on the early RS3 with sliding vanes to reduce oil pressure on engine light loads

Really dont like sound of 0W-30, I wonder how much of that oil selection is for parasitic drag/emission purposes?

Audi 'did' an odd oil pump on the early RS3 with sliding vanes to reduce oil pressure on engine light loads

The thing is if you go into a dealer it’s what they will use I’m told.

The thing is if you go into a dealer it’s what they will use I’m told.

No doubt yes, a lot used to reckon 15W-50 for early RS3 when tuned

Can someone explain what the problem is with 0W-30?
Also why does my car says I don't need a oil change service until 13,800 miles and an inspection until 17,700 miles?!

No doubt yes, a lot used to reckon 15W-50 for early RS3 when tuned

There is this fascinating misconception of association of oil film strength with increased viscosity .

Instead this viscous gloop is slow to circulate on a cold start where most metal to metal contact wear occurs .

Reactions: IanL-RS3 and Mike.46
Can someone explain what the problem is with 0W-30?
Also why does my car says I don't need a oil change service until 13,800 miles and an inspection until 17,700 miles?!
Oil service is variable, The harder it is used or shorter the distance driven the sooner the oil change service

Lol like a moth to a flame. Oil threads and tyres………

Anybody know the filter number and how many litres required for full oil & filter change?

and to confirm oil spec - the label from engine bay
5C917573 1640 457C 9D3B 7A201D4C4665

Reactions: 8YARWY and 3vans
As @RS03??? says pretty much no difference from that ‘how to’ in the link, except it's 0w-30 oil specced now.

Try Opie oils for the oil.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3vans and RS03???
My car came with a 1L Top up bottle of Audi branded Special Performance (SP) 0W-40 oil which doesn't have the VW 504/507 spec on it, but does state it is developed for high performance petrol engines. I haven't had to top up yet after 2k miles.

In the past I've found the 0W-30 and 5W-30 oils to be very thin and was topping it up constantly.

Interestingly my my car reg isn't found on opie oils website and a search on eurocarparts doesn't return any results.

My car came with a 1L Top up bottle of Audi branded Special Performance (SP) 0W-40 oil which doesn't have the VW 504/507 spec on it, but does state it is developed for high performance petrol engines. I haven't had to top up yet after 2k miles.

In the past I've found the 0W-30 and 5W-30 oils to be very thin and was topping it up constantly.

Interestingly my my car reg isn't found on opie oils website and a search on eurocarparts doesn't return any results.

They sell 0w-30 shell helix etc though that’s VW504/507

Reactions: RS03???

back of the Shell Helix, higher res, which came with the car, showing the VW504/507 spec.

Attachments

• IMG_0854 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0854 Large.jpeg
    369 KB · Views: 272
back of the Shell Helix, higher res, which came with the car, showing the VW504/507 spec.
I did change oil for this , eruocarparts charge me around 93 pounds for 8 litre.
oil filter , bolt and washer was 23 from audi

Reactions: 3vans
I did change oil for this , eruocarparts charge me around 93 pounds for 8 litre.
oil filter , bolt and washer was 23 from audi

About par for the course now.
270fe458fe0d3b04c00bb198c4215360.png

There’s also the OEM Quantum brand that’s a little cheaper £30 for 5 Litres
ff75fb989cc4db40eb1fc7070d092422.png

Audi dealers are using the Quantum now.

Reactions: Mastachaz, RS03??? and IanL-RS3
Thanks guys,.Yes I can see quite a few options for 504.00. I was wondering why they would supply a bottle of OW-40 that is not listed as an option anywhere..

I was using Millers CFS 5w40 NT+ in my S3 and it ran 5 degrees cooler and it never used a drop. I can't see any literature about whether it's suitable for opf cars though.

Hopefully Gaz will come along and put me right.

Just to follow up on the performance oil SAE 0W-40, VW-norm 511 00.
It came in the boot of the rs3 on delivery. Is it safe to use?? As it’s not the 0W-30 504/507 00 that is on the engine sticker.

It came in the boot of the rs3 on delivery. Is it safe to use?? As it’s not the 0W-30 504/507 00 that is on the engine sticker.

0W-30 504/507

0W-30 504/507

Is there a different spec of oil depending on whether the car is Longlife or Yearly service schedule?

I am starting to think that is why some get 5w30 and others 5w40 on the 8V from Audi. But it does not make sense to me giving the car the thinner oil for the longer service interval?

There is a push to give the cars thinner oil for emissions reasons, personally I agree with that as much as I agree with 2 year oil changes so I go the other way. 5W-40 is what Audi put in the DAZA each year and I am happy with that.

Is there a different spec of oil depending on whether the car is Longlife or Yearly service schedule?

I am starting to think that is why some get 5w30 and others 5w40 on the 8V from Audi. But it does not make sense to me giving the car the thinner oil for the longer service interval?

There is a push to give the cars thinner oil for emissions reasons, personally I agree with that as much as I agree with 2 year oil changes so I go the other way. 5W-40 is what Audi put in the DAZA each year and I am happy with that.

Audi / independent always used 5W-30 on my Daza engined RS3

Recent oil change on the 8Y was 0W-30.

Audi / independent always used 5W-30 on my Daza engined RS3
Recent oil change on the 8Y was 0W-30.

Out of interest, what service schedule were your cars on officially with Audi?

I changed mine from longlife to yearly when I got it and the oil went from 5w30 to 5w40. Dealership checked it again when I queried it.

I thought it was a general change because several tuners started to recommend 5w40 and it made sense to me given how the engine runs. But it might have just been the change in service schedule. I have seen 2 different specs for yearly/longlife in other Audis.

Never looked any further because I am happy what they put in..

Out of interest, what service schedule were your cars on officially with Audi?

I changed mine from longlife to yearly when I got it and the oil went from 5w30 to 5w40. Dealership checked it again when I queried it.

I thought it was a general change because several tuners started to recommend 5w40 and it made sense to me given how the engine runs. But it might have just been the change in service schedule. I have seen 2 different specs for yearly/longlife in other Audis.

Never looked any further because I am happy what they put in..

Yearly. But none ever went a year as I always changed the oil and filter at the halfway mark myself.
I always over service my cars.

Reactions: RS03??? and flybynite
Yearly. But none ever went a year as I always changed the oil and filter at the halfway mark myself.
I always over service my cars.

It helps, if you can do this on your own, then just cost of oil/filter and your time. Do mine yearly, regardless of miles.

Just ordered 10L Shell Helix Ultra 0W-30 from CMGoilsdirect £89.98 delivered. Filter, sump plug and washer from Audi £25. Car is coming up to 1000 miles now so it will get its run-in service regardless of what Audi recommends. They advised to make sure I used the correct oil as it could possibly affect the warranty otherwise. My BMW M3 and Z3M both had their first run-in services at 1200 miles as specified by BMW. Warranty was voided if not done on time, also this is the first thing to be checked if buying a used one. If the 1200 service hadn’t been done or very late, most prospective buyers will walk away. This is why I support doing an oil and filter change at around 1000 miles.

Reactions: 8YARWY and flybynite
regardless of what Audi recommends.
Best advice I could give :icon thumright:

Only thing I would say is these pi$$ weight oils are used for efficiency, and economy and not for the good of the engine. I don't like the way they are going and I think the move away from 5w30 was a mistake, especially in places it does not get that cold. 5w40 goes in my DAZA and I am happy with that :smiley:

If anyone wants to avoid buying service parts from a main dealer then give Central England Automotive a call.
I’ve ordered some service parts for the GTD today, seem pretty good and on the ball with it.

Reactions: Daggerit