Oil pressure warning light, loss of performance

Mattyyy

Reaction score
Hi guys

Got my S3 couple of days ago, and running into my first problem.

I've read many problems about oil pressure warning light causes/solutions but none of them mention a loss of performance also?

This loss of performance isn't like stuttering, still very smooths but just no real performance. Hit limp mode?

Suggestions?

Appreciate it guys,
Matty

Not still driving it are you? No engine noises? Just no 'umpf' as such

No, I'm not driving it.

I obviously drove it for the last 50 metres to my house.

But there was lost of "turbo" experience.

I guess the turbo is probably seized as you say because there is no turbo spool sound at all, and no escaping boost noise.

I guess it's turbo replacement & sump off to check pick up perhaps? *sigh*

Not necessarily bud. There will be a loss of pressure just don't drive it anymore. I drove mine a few hundreds meters as I was on motorway and,y turbo was fine. Don't sweat just yet bud.

Cheers :)

Hm. Just trying to figure out why the loss of performance really along with the oil pressure light. :crying:

Obviously just checked my oil level. You know where the bend in the dipstick is to measure the level? Thought so. ;P

Well, the level is roughly about couple of inches PAST that bend?!?!

Cheers for the reply,
Oh right, I was under the impression it was a low pressure light. My only thought would be that, the reason why the oil level is higher is because the rest of the oil has returned to the sump from the rest of the system but cannot get picked up again? Just a thought. :think:
While the sump and might as well change pump as well etc is not a problem, a possible turbo change will prove a pain the **** as how fair they are towards the bulk head.

:(

I see what your saying, but I'm pretty sure the engine oil capacity is 4.6ltrs therefore even if all of it had gone down to dump (like your saying) it still should sit at the correct level.

I'd check your crankcase breather. Probs blocked and causing pressure build up

Development:

Just changed oil & filter. No oil pressure warning light when I drove about 100metres when it used to warn me within 5 metres of going over 2000rpm.

Also, now getting a lot of blue smoke. Now, the way I think about it is this. Blue smoke usually a sign of oil burning, and I'm assuming I was not getting blue smoke/oil burning yesterday because there was barely any oil getting to the turbo to be burnt when it died (because turbo had no oil in the first place getting to it perhaps?) and now that there is pressure/oil getting there, because the turbo is dead, it just burns the oil (bust seals) and therefore producing blue smoke?

Thoughts?

Same as what happened to me a while back. Except I had no warning lights. Just blue smoke. Search forum for thread called S3 blue smoke.

I now have oil pressure issues because the garage I used f***ed the bottom end changing rods.

Yeah it would. If its your turbo. I had engine rebuilt whilst garage was at it. Just causing me loads of trouble now. All it needed was a turbo.

Not sure why ur getting oil pressure? Surely if your just burning oil then your just get blue smoke?

Just saying as my turbo was fcked for about a month. A carried on driving it until garage could fit car in. Never had oil pressure warning.

i think the low pressure has eaten the turbo, causing premature wear of the turbo seals. It's these worn seals that are causing the excessive oil burning.

Well, Byzan has virtually said what I have said.

My turbo died yesterday due to lack of oil pressure, therefore wouldn't of had much blue smoke as there was barely any oil there no doubt.
But now, out of know where from an oil/filter change it is blowing blue smoke and no warning lights. So now that there is oil at the turbo, it's just burning it up and still not spooling. Seized no doubt.

I reckon turbo replacement and I'll be sorted. Just want some reassurance from people "in the know" ;P

Then I can carry on with my plans :p

Yeah I get ya.

Just have it send off to be refurbed. Cheaper than buying a new unit.

I payed around £810 for a brand new k04-023 turbo. If I could of waited for turbo to be repaired I would of

Right, found: AUDI TT S3 K04 TURBO 225 BHP KO4 | eBay

Done a bit of research on here. Apparently even though it says it won't fit my APY. All I have to do is put a bolt in the egt hole? ;D

So that should fit, the shaft play does worry me, though most turbo's have very small shaft play. So I'll end up buying that.

Just wondering where people find there part numbers for the gaskets etc?

Thanks, appreciate it!

Matt

I'd get the sump off and clean the pick up too. As long as that turbo has no cracks or in/ out play then that should be fine. I;d rather have a good used KKK turbo than a Chinese copy. Maybe later you could get your broken one refurbed to a better standard as you want more power... Muuuuhhahahaha

Yep, I've booked next sunday off at work to do the sump off/pick up job.

Lol, yep I do. Planning the usual bypass stuff, fmic, remap etc.

This has just got in the way of all my plans!!! noooooooooooooooooo :p

Right, replacement turbo... let's go go go :p

check the oil feed line to turbo is not choked with crap before fitting new unit.. and of course as said check oil pressure and pickup pipe before anything else

Bought that turbo I linked to.

Thanks for the advice guys. Really do appreciate it. New to the S3 scene you see ;) :tocktock:

Hopefully this fixes my performance/smoke issues. Then I'm back to where I began and can begin with adding to the standard performance :w00t:

Right,

Sump etc. is off, and there is no blockage in the oil pick. So I guess my option is oil pump. Though, I no longer have the oil pressure issue since I did an oil change, how could the oil pump prove to be intermittent?

Also, I have some shell wear on a certain rod, so, going to do a bearing set as well. How much roughly cost wise are we speaking for the set of shells/bearings?

Much appreciated,
Matt

Ah, lovely!

Cheers for that mate :)

Just want the car working again asap!!