Oil Pressure Symbol

Chris-P

Former Audi A3 8P Owner 2011-2019
Reaction score
My car went in to the garage just over a week ago to have the oil pressure symbol diagnosed. They said the oil level was low so topped it up & all was fine until today when the red oil pressure symbol came up again on the DIS. The symbol doesn't stay on permenantly but seems to be prompted when i'm driving at low speed >10mph.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Oil pick up blocked, pump failing or the actual oil pressure sensor could be faulty

Get the garage to do an oil pressure check first. If that's low either pump or pick up, which is a sump off job

Personally I'd get the sump off and have a look at the condition (would probably be worth changing the pickup pipe anyways its cheap) .....do not drive it while the light is on...even it if turns off, not worth the potential damage it could cause!

Would the garage have carried out an oil pressure test as a matter of course?

I had a bit more of a nosy today & found this pipe going into the intake manifold has been bodged back on. Is that anything oil pressure related?

Attachments

• 20160505_105917.jpg
    20160505_105917.jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 133
Depends on the garage I would say ,have you tried running vcds?

I've tried doing scan & found no fault codes. But i've not managed to do it whilst the oil pressure symbol is on.

Yep known issue, oil pick up pipe gets clogged with crud for poor servicing or long life service intervals, pipe gets clogged and starves the bottom end of the engine of oil and can seize the engine.
Had mine checked and cleaned 2 months ago as a preventative service.