Oil pressure gauge/Oil pressure test

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
Hi fellas. Whats the quickest and easiest way to test the oil pressure on a 2.8 v6 30v? I have a mocal oil pressure gauge lying around and was toying with the idea of fitting it. Do these engines have a convential screw in sender unit that goes into the block? What are the symptoms of low oil pressure on the v6's? My cars running very well at the moment, the reason I'm being over cautious is I've had an 8 grand engine die on me before due to low oil pressure. Wrote off the whole ****** engine!

Cheers gents.

Ollie

Last edited:
On the 1.8T i've "T"'d the guage sender off where the standard audi sensor goes, which highlighted something quite interesting.

The stock sensor is rated at 1bar on a 1.8T, yet in hot traffic the old engine would sit idling at 8psi. It seems that the dash cluster itself IGNORES the pressure warning below a certain RPM...

You'll need a T piece with an M10x1 male, and an M10x1 female, to screw into the filter housing and then to screw the audi sender into, and then with the correct NPT fitting on the side for the guage sender.

Many thanks buddy! If I however chose not to install a gauge, and just wanted to check up on the pressure by what means would I/could I do this? If for instance a full scan was done by vagcom (or whatever its called now) would it highlight low pressure without specifically checking for it?

Nah, the engine only has a fixed pressure switch on it.

You can view the state of this switch using measuring blocks on the instrument cluster, but its pretty meaningless.

I baught a guage for about 25quid. You could always fit the sender and run the wires to say the glovebox, then only connect the guage for testing purposes?

Sounds like a spot on idea that. Where is the pressure switch located (not being lazy, I don't have any manuals for the V6 engine!), and what feed/earthing etc wires did you use mate?

On the 1.8T, the sensor screws into the oil filter/cooler housing, which is mounted on the side of the block. On a V6 the oil filter is at the front, but i would imagine the housing is similar, so have a look there for the sensor.

On mine there was two sensors, one attached to an open spade connector (the Oil Temp sensor) and one with a spade hidden under a large rubber boot, which is the oil pressure sensor.

The V6 oil temp sensor isnt in the filter housing from memory, so its probably just the pressure switch you'll find there anyway!

As for wires, i just used a piece of speaker cable, i'm pikey like that!