Oil pick up ?

Essflee

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry if I'm repeating posts, ive read online about oil pick up issues with the S3, was this on all 8p's or was this rectified on the later models ?

Thanks

Ok, are there any issues or things to look for with the engine ?

The 8P uses the same lump as the golfs, they have blocked up too

Reactions: Essflee
Ok, are there any issues or things to look for with the engine ?

There's quite a few threads which will help if you search,but as far as the engine goes,it's pretty solid if looked after and serviced regularly.

Coil packs and plugs are the major engine related issues,and the cam follower is another service item which should be changed regularly.

On 8P's the oil pick up pipe is ok, the problem is with the Longlife service regime. The pick up strainer gets blocked up with gloopy oil that's been flowing around the engine for just a bit too long, when a low annual mileage car doesn't change the oil for years because the oil service doesn't come on. It was ok when a business user did a large amount of miles per year and the oil was changed roughly at yearly intervals.
If you have an ex business user VAG car that is on Longlife service or are thinking of buying one, then convert your service regime to annual. Also worth doing is dropping the sump and cleaning the pick up pipe/oil strainer for peace of mind.

Ah, it's the cam follower I remember reading about, is it an easy job ?

I don't like these long life oils either, it will be serviced every year for sure.

Thanks for all replies !!

I've just put a deposit down, hopefully pick it up Monday, I'll put some pics up when I get it,

Well chuffed,

It's a white 12 plate sportback black edition on 29k miles, roll on Monday !!!

Thanks again lads...