Oil overfill/ Pressure warning light

colinst205wrc

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for some help please.

I have a 2.0L TDI 2005 so think its a B6. The engine code is BLB so hope this helps.

I noticed a couple of days ago the engine seemed noisy on start up in the morning. Once warm it was fine. So I checked the oil and it was down to the minimum on the dipstick. I got a 1L of oil and put it in. I didn't think that 1L would take it from min to overfilled so didn't check just drove home. as it was late on Sunday evening the roads were empty and the car was fine. The following morning after driving for just a min or two the oil pressure light came on. This came on a couple of times and went off and once I reached the motorway all was fine and didn't come on again. On the way home this was repeated. Once home I checked the levels and the oil was past the max. It was up to the flat bit of the dipstick past the bobbles so I think this is overfilled. I took the car today to get an oil change as it was due in 1500 miles and I still have the same issue.
I have noticed if I keep the revs above 1800-2000 then I have no issues. Once below about 1800 the oil pressure warning comes on. The car starts, idles and accelerates fine. The turbo spins up fine and I have suffered no loss of power at all.
Having read a lot of info now about the oil pump being chain driven and this causing issues I don't know what to try next. It seems it all started when I added the extra litre of oil.
The car is at 143k and I have the oil change done regularly and the car hasn't skipped a beat in the year I have owned it.
What peoples thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Colin

Sorry I'm no help but your car is a B7, i'm sure a mod will soon move it so you can get a better response.

Maybe it has something to do with the oil pump drive shafts that round?

your pump may be on the way out or a faulty sensor

but your mad to keep driving it as if it goes you may **** the engine and turbo

your pump may be on the way out or a faulty sensor

but your mad to keep driving it as if it goes you may **** the engine and turbo

Thanks for pointing out the B7 error, sorry. Only drove it before I knew it was potentially a major problem. Then again to check if the oil change had cured the problem. Now sat on the drive awaiting the next step :sob: which might be sell it as spare/repairs. Such a shame as I love it. Really don't know whether its worth fixing. Will not doubt get it looked at and make a decision from there.

I will post this on the correct part of the forum.

Thanks

Colin

There are companies out there that will 're-manufacture' your oil pump parts if you send them. As yours is one of the first B7s these were most prone to failure. Something to do with a plastic tensioner breaking and causing a slack chain to adversely wear the oil pump balancer shaft iirc. There is literally 100s of posts on all the forums about the issues and this was the reason I went for a B6.

As bez said, DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR until you have diagnosed the problem!

Good luck!