Oil on the intake side of the turbo 3.0tdi

CupraDine

Reaction score
Noticed oil all over the intake side of the turbo, did some research and found it's probably the turbo pulsation damper seal (great name!).

Following this guide over on another forum was really helpful and I thought I would post to help others. http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/...e-on-turbo-face-and-or-output-charge-air-pipe

Started by removing the intake pipe
ir92dan.jpg

You can really see the leak now...:puke:
zH9EzIn.jpg

Breather hose was a bit stubbon, glued by dry oil to the damper.

Damper and seal removed, the leak was worse than I thought.
f9dfuTI.jpg

The original bolts that held it on, the silver on the bottom and the black on the top. Interestingly it looks like this job was done before, and they probably dropped the bottom bolt and got another. While removing these I noticed the top bolt was very loose and probably the main cause of the leak.
YEVNk0j.jpg

Anyway cleaned up the damper and used shiny new parts. Turns out the re-usable hose clip from the A8 (same engine as my A6) is just a jubilee clip if you want to save yourselve some money.

Part Numbers and prices for anyone interested;
059129193C - Seal/Gasket 14.15 + VAT
N91054301 - Clip (from A8, not listed as compatible with A6 but it's the same engine) 4.71 + VAT
N90958902 - Bolts (2x) 0.74 for 2 + VAT
DnKSt1I.jpg

Cleaned as much of the residue off and re-installed, looking much better :thumbs up:
Bottom bolt was a little painful, ended up using a bit of grease to hold it onto the bit and not drop it. Also used some threadlocker on both to stop them backing out again.
GSpaahc.jpg

Re-assembled and running well, only time will tell if it solved the leak!
mUDsQor.jpg

Reactions: c16rkc
Great work!

Thats very detailed, sure to help lots of people.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

What you will find here is the oil may have stopped leaking out the pipe, but it should not be that much oil in the first place. It's the crank case breather (cyclone oil separator)venting too much oil into the intake. Just crack off the intercooler pipe work on the left hand side of the car and watch the oil pour out. I replaced the separator but it was a pig of a job. The oil also mixes the with the EGR soot and creates a hell of a mess on all the intake manifolds.

Reactions: CupraDine and c16rkc
What you will find here is the oil may have stopped leaking out the pipe, but it should not be that much oil in the first place. It's the crank case breather (cyclone oil separator)venting too much oil into the intake. Just crack off the intercooler pipe work on the left hand side of the car and watch the oil pour out. I replaced the separator but it was a pig of a job. The oil also mixes the with the EGR soot and creates a hell of a mess on all the intake manifolds.

Cheers for the info, I will look at that :icon thumright:

Had a quick look, I think the part number is 059103495G (Pressure Control Valve/oil separator/Oil trap). Is this the right part to get replaced? Looks like a small Dalek gunstick with a port on the side.

This is the part I got a few years ago the number could have been revised by now 057 103 495 L
Upload 2020 7 27 20 21 0

Once you strip the top end it's easy enough to get to
Upload 2020 7 27 20 24 57

Also drain & clean the intake pipes (get something to catch the oil) I had not idea how much oil was in the left inter cooler
Upload 2020 7 27 20 26 45

Also think about cleaning the intake manifolds while you have them out. They will be full of thick black crud.

Upload 2020 7 27 20 27 47

Cheers, that part number comes up as the oil separator for the older A8 engines, but the part lines up with the one for mine.
Will look into tearing the top end down.

I got it off ebay cheap as new ones are around the £160. current version is N and the previous version was L

Upload 2020 7 29 14 21 33