Oil level

D1RZH1N1S

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve just changed engine oil and filter and after this it shows this . . How can I fix it? No dipstick.

C0-D68471-F6-F6-48-A2-BB63-AFE6-FA8-E201-A.jpg

How did this happen, did you drop X litres of oil out of your car and refill with Y litres?

Which engine and is there a blanking plug where the dip stick would normally go, if so, buy and use a oil level gauging stick thing?

Easy option will be to drop 1/2 a litre out of the sump, if this issue still exists, drop another 1/2 litre out, though really it does sound like your guessing how much is in there or if that sensor is faulty - hence my suggestion that you buy a physical oil level/depth gauge as dealerships are meant to use to re-cal the car's system and check for correct refilling of oil.

Reactions: audiwaterpump
Hi all,

I’ve just changed engine oil and filter and after this it shows this . . How can I fix it? No dipstick.
How much new oil did you put in?

My MMI seems to show the oil level between 1/4 and 1/2 full, at different times.

I didn't change oil by myself. I did it at garage before was showing oil level propery I'm thinking maybe they put to much? I will have a look after some time. I would like to put dipstick as I trust this more. Is it difficult to install it ?

Thanks . .

If the garage did it then it's highly likely they have put too much oil in, because that's what they usually do.

Post a photo of your engine without the cover.

My experience of this was when I did an oil change a while ago I used a suction device to take all the oil out, when I put fresh oil back in I got this notification. So on my latest oil change (a couple months ago) I decided to drain the oil from underneath and then fill up as normal. Thankfully everything is now ok. Is could be possible there is a little bit more oil than there should be, so it might be worth draining a little off. My engine is the CAGA and takes 5 litres, I'm not sure what you car is?

My experience of this was when I did an oil change a while ago I used a suction device to take all the oil out, when I put fresh oil back in I got this notification. So on my latest oil change (a couple months ago) I decided to drain the oil from underneath and then fill up as normal. Thankfully everything is now ok. Is could be possible there is a little bit more oil than there should be, so it might be worth draining a little off. My engine is the CAGA and takes 5 litres, I'm not sure what you car is?

I got the same engine CAGA. Also I noticed that before it was showing but not always the same level one day higher then lower and then again higher level.

My experience of this was when I did an oil change a while ago I used a suction device to take all the oil out, when I put fresh oil back in I got this notification. So on my latest oil change (a couple months ago) I decided to drain the oil from underneath and then fill up as normal. Thankfully everything is now ok.
Interesting!
Can't see how the car would know whether the oil has been sucked or drained out.
It may just be a coincidence.

Basically when it was sucked out there may have been a little bit of oil left in the sump as opposed to draining it out from the sump plug therefore ensuing all the oil has been drained.

Basically when it was sucked out there may have been a little bit of oil left in the sump as opposed to draining it out from the sump plug therefore ensuing all the oil has been drained.
When the garage overfilled my car (despite me telling them to put in less oil) the level was showing full on the MMI, which I wasn't happy about.
So I sucked out 250ml of oil, and then it started showing the level as 3/4 full.

Is it easy to install ?

Someone that has a CAGA engine type might let you know if it is possible, or even which dipstick to use through the original oil level hole if these engines still have them, and you will be able to use that to check your oil but maybe only while the engine dress panel/cover is off the engine - if that is the way things are, it is still a lot better better than trusting the display .

There's a question I never expected to be asked. Like @rum4mo says, if your engine has a dipstick hole, then it's just a case of sourcing the right part number and substituting it for the dummy cap.
I've purchased my 4th dipstick for this purpose. This one has a metallic spacer about 1/2 along the dipstick but it's diameter is too large to fit in the dipstick tube which has the dumpy cap. Will have to do some filing down to make it fit.

The first 3 dipsticks wouldn't fit for various reasons.
Obviously, designed to deter DIY'ing.

Laser Tools, and no doubt other tool suppliers, will sell a suitable adjustable dip stick that is the same as the dealers use, it can't be left in, but can be used to check oil level in the sump periodically.

Edit:- stock number 4807.